Bryan's 220 Build - Wrasses and More

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woohoo....my wrasses just come in. Just from looking through the bags, everybody seems to be swimming around and looks great. The Johnsoni are pretty small, but I've read that on here that they are a smaller fish. It actually works out better for now since they'll go in with all my other wrasses until I get my big tank up :)

More pics to come on the Johnsoni pair and Flame trio
standby mode for pics. ;)

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of putting them all into the acclimation box, I only put the Johnsoni in. The female is like an inch, with the male about 1.5 inches. I just let the flames go into the tank. It was semi dark, with only the sun shining in to light up the tank.

First light just came on, so in 30 min the second halide will come on, and then its picture time :)

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woohoo...picture time. Pics of the Flames to come later...but one pic of the female is below :)

Johnsoni Male
DSC_2961.jpg

DSC_2951.jpg

DSC_2944.jpg

Johnsoni Female
DSC_2932.jpg

DSC_2927.jpg

Pair:
DSC_2943.jpg

Flame Female:
DSC_2939.jpg

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks. they are all doing great, swimming around together. The flames and johnsoni are hanging out all together, so I have this big swarm of pink fish right in the middle of the tank, haha.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...bad news today when I got home from work. I found one of the female flames on the sand dead when I walked in the door. Really bummed cause I was happy about having the trio.

Also, which is even worse, the Johnsoni female didn't make it. I didn't see her when I came home, so I searched with a flashlight, and found her hiding under a rock. When I came home from dinner, I found her dead, in the corner of the tank. Really sucks about the Johnsoni. The male seems to be doing awesome, swimming around with the rest of the flashers and fairy wrasses.

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that Bryan. Hope the others stay happy and healthy. It always sucks to lose fish.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. The males and the other female seem to be going great, they are all eating like crazy.

I've sold most of my coral already, so I'm thinking about starting some light meds in my main tank to get ahead of myself. I just need to get the shrimp out of the tank first.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the wood for the stand to the house this past weekend, and since I finally got the dimensions of the tank ith plastic trim, I'm going to start building this sucker tomorrow hopefully. Pics of the stand build to come soon :)

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Sara, I was sad, especially for the Johnsoni female since they are rare and hard to find. The male is swimming around with all the other flashers and fairies in the tank though, so he looks fantastic.

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Subscribing to this one! You'll absolutely love the dimensions of the 200DD. I couldn't believe it, when I watched my mated pair of Blue Jaw Triggers, swimming ALL THE WAY to the back of the tank!

On the Watanabees, if you do get them, you'll absolutely love them, BUT, be careful. They're completely reef safe, but are collected from much deeper waters than most Dwarf Angelfish. Because of this, it's important to get a healthy pair, with no swim bladder damage. Get them from a reputable collector or, if you get them from an LFS, make sure you watch them, for a few days, before purchasing, if at all possible.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm so excited about the fish, and the possibilities of what I can put in there. Been eyeing some nice butterflies, angels, etc on top of my planned wrasse collection, haha.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so finally broke out the miter saw and drill and started on the stand since I got dimensions from another thread. The stand will be 48 1/2 x 36 1/2, just to give me some play if I need. The stand itself will be 33 inches tall, which puts the top of the 200 DD at 60" high. I am still planning to make a canopy on this that will open easily as well.

Here are some pics of the stand getting started...don't get too discouraged, I only put in liek 45 min on it tonight :)

This pic made me realize how big this tank really was :)
2011-03-23_19-55-46_927.jpg

Top and Bottom
2011-03-23_20-11-42_851.jpg

2011-03-23_20-29-43_577.jpg

2011-03-23_20-29-23_506.jpg

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great start man. :)

how are the remaining new/semi new fishes doing?

Everybody looks to be doing fine. The male flame is still hanging out in the back, but the female and him do hang out a bit, and the Johnsoni male is swimming around with the Red Tail flasher, Filamented, and all the other guys.

Nice... tagging along.... can't wait either.... :tongue:

Thanks. I'll get most of the rest of the stand done tomorrow hopefully. Then its back to Lowe's to buy the top, the wood to skin it, and maybe some molding. I'm probably going to just paint this stand with black Valspar paint like I did the last one which turned out pretty good I think.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet. Got a text that the tank is expected to be here next week, probably Wednesday I believe. Looks like I have a week to try and get this stand finished up.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back