bryopsis again i am going to smash this fish tank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jerl77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 months ago i broke down the whole tank due to bryopsis removed all rock sand and start freah new sand and new marco rock
so today i was looking around and guess what i see bryopsis ok before i smash this tank with a hammer mabey you guys can help
water test
nitrate 5ppm
phos 5ppm
cal 420
alk 10 dkh
ph 8.2
so where did it come from and how the hell can i kill this stuff just got some tangs and they want nothing to do with it
please help me out i am getting so ****** off with this hobby
the funny thing is my 3 other tanks have none of this stuff in them :cry:

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used top crown snails to get rid of mine. I have 10 in my 120 gallon and I've never seen it again. You might have to search around a while to find them ( I got mine from Blue Zoo Aquatics ), but they have been a fantastic addition to my cleaning crew.

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate can be held in the rocks and then leech out as the phosphate level in the tank goes down. You can kill off bryopsis by elevating your magnesium levels to around 1600. There are a lot of threads on how to go about doing this.

Bio-nut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continue to do water changes sturing up ditritus each time prior to pulling out water. Then an hour after the water change, do another. This will help reduce the disolved organincs that have released into the water column. Cut backon food and begin rinsing your frozen food with tap water in a plastic coffee filter. This will reduce phosphate introduction in to the water from the preservatives in the frozen foods. Lastly, pick up a scopas tang they eat bryopsis along with any turf algae too. I have a small scopas 1.5" in my 20gal that keeps all algae at bay. Remember the tang will eventually out-grow the tank so it is a temp solution till you get it under hand.

Feel free to PM if you have any more specific questions.

Ian

Last edited:

condor

CORAL DR.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sea bunnies work well and you dont have to mess with chemistry(did you say your po4 was 5ppm! as in 5? .03 is acceptable)

Bio-nut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raising the Mag will celate the phosphate rendering it usless to algal growth. If you would like i have a really user friendly write-up that you could look at that would explain reef chemistry a little better.

here is the article on line. but if you want the full document just send me you email address. http://docs.google.com/View?id=dgx9t3f4_1d96pc4cp

Last edited:

Znut Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a few patches of it. I got a small blonde Naso. He loves it. I haven't seen any since.

sprinklerdudes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a couple of battles with this stuff, cut back on frozen food, shorten light cycle, ( I left mine off two days, cut back on it was gone) and raise mag.cutting back on frozen food, defentily helps also if it is just in certian areas of the tank, may look to make sure you have enough flow in those areas may need to add a power head ( I also use a old power head about once a week and go through the tank and stir things up, blow the detris off the rocks and out from around the corals My tank dosent have enough flow, and this has helped me alot. also added a small mesh bag with carbon in it, I change it out every couple of weeks, these are simple cheap steps that help, without haveing to buy exspensive equipment. rember the more you stock a tank, and the more you feed you just keep increasing the load and that could be why this one tank has more problems then the others, just my 2 cents, good luck, and don't give up, this wll pass as your tank matures, and you get things balanced out

Bugg_zy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been battling this myself. I am running a reactor with GFO, weekly water changes with ro/di, feeding lightly once a day and even skipping days. And it was still spreading like wildfire. Tank was about 4 months old at the time it really got bad. I at first heard to raise my mag up to 1600+ and that will take care of it. I did so using the 2 BRS Mag solution. The Bryopsis looked in rough shape but was not dieing. Then I found the threads that said the only mag solution that had an effect was Kent tech M. Desperate for a solution I ordered a gallon. I at first had to do a few water changes to get my mag back down from being elevated by the BRS mag solution. I got it down to 1400, then took it back up to 1800 using the Kent. About 3-4 days later it started turning white and dieing. I got excited at first, but made an observation. The Bryopsis that received the most light died first. So now my tank is mainly bryopsis free, but I still have it in a few areas of the tank that are not well lit. I examined it as much as possible thinking it might be a different algae, but looks just like all of the rest. As far as fish that eat it go, I think it's pretty hit and miss. In my last set-up I had a small patch, bought a sailfin tang and he made short work of it. In my new set-up I have a purple and a tomini. Neither will even touch it. I also have a golden blenny that has no interest in it as well. When I was back to an epic outbreak what I would not have payed to have my sailfin back!! So now it lives in the shadows of my tank, if it ever start spreading again I am just gonna hit it with some Tech M and hope for the best.

gilmour01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you raise your Mg level, you need to use tech M to do it. raising the Mg level with other products will not kill the bryopsis. i dont think its the Mg that kills it. i think its something else in the tech M. i raised my Mg to over 2000 with the BRS Mg and it didnt even touch the bryopsis. one week using the tech M, and it was gone. good luck.

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stay patient and make small moves towards success. You'll win the battle, just keep making small bits of progress instead of trying to fix everything in one go. Keep at it!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 73 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.6%
Back