bryopsis again i am going to smash this fish tank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Znut Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just got one yesterday have not seem him even look at this stuff yet just my luck

Keep your patience. I pulled as much of it weekly as I could. Eventually the naso will eat it. Start feeding him small amounts of nori. I think it took mine a few weeks before he did.

OP
OP
jerl77

jerl77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i see what i can do just suck this is my display tank in my dining room so i look at this thing all night my 3 other tanks dont have it at all just dont get it
what about use specail bend additive?

kellyjn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of clean up crew are you using?

A good clean up crew (variety of snails) will do well. Pulling the stuff out as much as you can(while being very careful torn-off pieces aren't floating on to other locations in the tank). I tried the Tech M, but wasn't successful. Best thing I ever did was buy a Yellow tang and a Flame Angel. They cruise the rocks eating anything resembling any type of algae or pod pretty much 14 hours a day. I think I got lucky though with the fish.

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get some lettuce sea hares, they work great. You wouldn't believe how quickly they will eat it. I've used them myself with great success. For everything else get Bali Monster sea hares. Both of these creatures are non-toxic and reef safe.

110reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the sea hare, lettuce nudi routes. Sea hares never ate it, lettuce nudis disappeared and were never seen again. The sea hares also met their fate in my powerheads. Honestly, I believe I tried everything, and the best cure I found was documented in the above mentioned thread, using Tech M.

aharrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different things work for different people. Tech M is by far the most popular solution and seems to work the most. I did not work for me but it did work for a fellow reefer. I had it bad for six months and I tried everything. Raised mag to 1800, tangs, foxface, mexican turbos, every suggestion put forth on this board. One day when I was considering quitting the hobby, I was at the LFS and they said they had a tuxedo urchin guaranteed to eat bryopsis as a customer had returned it after wiping out his tank. So I bought it and sure enough three weeks later gone.

Now you still have to figure out what is fueling it even after you get rid of it or else algae will continue to come back. Something alot of people don't think about and it worked for me. I have a six stage RO/DI unit and i never thought about the water supplied by the county I live in. Well as soon as I bought an extra phoban unit and put it on my RO/DI make up water, algae cut way back. It turns out my county website listed the water tests and my county was ridiculously high on phosphates. So now I make up a 25 gallon batch and mix it and then run ROWAphos for a week on it. Worked wonders. And it makes sense if you are doing a water change and continually feeding the phosphate problem. Check your city or county website on their water supply results and see if it might be a problem.

OP
OP
jerl77

jerl77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
up to 1550 tonight on mag going alittle more see if i cant kill this stuff how high can i go being safe?

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea hares won't touch it, but if the lettuce hares are the right ones, like the ones collected from the Keys or Nicaragua they will eat it like crazy.

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how does one get rid of this i also have some and HATE IT!!!

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get Tech M. Raise your mag level with Tech M to 1800. Keep it at 1800 for two weeks. If you do water changes in the 2 week period add enough Tech M to maintain the Mag level at 1800. Test frequently with a reliable test kit, maybe Elos or Salifert. After two weeks do not do a bunch of water changes to lower the magnesium levels. Do your regular water changes and let the Mag level drop thru this and consumption by the tank. That is what I did and it killed the bryopsis in the tank.

Raising mag levels with mag sulfate or mag chloride does not do it. It is most likely a trace element in the Tech M itself, and not the magnesium. The old Tech M product label had Tech M including about 21 trace elements other that magnesium sulfate. I am guessing it is the copper, as copper is used as an algaecide, and folks that use Tech M have reported their snails dying, and snails are sensitive to copper. Tech M at 1800 is probably not the magnesium level required to kill the Bryopsis, but an indirect indicator of the concentration of the trace element in the Tech M that kills the bryopsis.

From the Fosters & Smith website:

General Information:
Tech•M Magnesium supplement is a ionically balanced product which will safely raise the magnesium level in any marine system without upsetting the ionic balance of the system. Tech•M is very concentrated, containing over 70,000 ppm of cationic magnesium and is nitrate, phosphate, and gluconate free.
Directions for Use:
Important: Shake vigorously immediately prior to use.

The preferred method is to test the magnesium level in your aquarium first and then add Tech•M at the rate of 1 ml per gallon aquarium capacity per day to bring the level to between 1250 and 1350 ppm.

This will raise the level by 18.4 ppm per day. As a routine supplement, if not testing, add two teaspoons (2 capfuls or 10 ml) per 50 gallons tank capacity every week in all marine systems.

Contents:
Deionized water containing the following elements (as ions): magnesium, chlorine, sulfur, calcium, potassium, bromine, strontium, boron, fluorine, lithium, rubidium, iodine, iron, molybdenum, zinc, nickel, copper, manganese, vanadium, cesium, cobalt, tungsten, selenium, and chromium.

Last edited:

Jeremy R.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others that have mentioned Tech M is an easy way to eradicate Bryopsis. I had a bad case pop out of nowhere a few months ago. I tried to raise mag to about 1700-1800 with BRS mag supliment with 0 success. So I decided to try the Tech M that others have had great results with. One large water change and slowly dosing the tech m and kept it in the high 1700 for a month till all the Bryopsis melted away. Worked great and highly recommend. The only thing that seemed to show any type of stress was a few montis but everything else in the tank was unaffected.

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot about the Montis. I had a couple lightly bleach as well, but they snapped back very quickly.

Biggest drawback to using Tech M is the cost. Not a cheap product, particularly if you have a large system.

I was lucky when I treated for bryopsis and found it at Premium (this was about a year ago) for $19 a gallon. I think it was an error in pricing because the price went up a good bit right after that. I bought 4 gallons of it then.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jerl77

jerl77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok update mag at 1650 and now i am seeing the Bryopsis.is turning clear is this a good sign i think it is the growth has slowed down big time and it looks like crap i thibnk i can do this i am going to keep the mag around 1800 until i nuke this stuff :wink:

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enjoy the Bryopsis death....savor every second....good times.....good times!:xd:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 74 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%
Back