Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No our vet said that as long as it's for fish there was a legal loophole (as he called it) in place.

So in your case, your vet just dispensed them OTC for you, but expressly only for your fish?

Huh...there shouldn't be a reason to order from china then, right? (I mean fine if you want to, but if you don't want to...)

(I assume the loophole on this, if true, is due to these being ornamental fish and not food fish. Sorta stands to reason if so. I wonder how widely this loophole is supported?)

@NCreefguy Thank you! The vets I called said the opposite, that it would be illegal to prescribe it!

@mcarroll It's either no longer there, or I'm certified blind!

Well, interesting....

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NCreefguy Thank you! The vets I called said the opposite, that it would be illegal to prescribe it!

@mcarroll It's either no longer there, or I'm certified blind!

If you get Fluconazole from a vet you will need a prescription(from most vets anyway) because by law they are required to see your fish,then write a prescription for the meds.
Vets don't carry Fish Fluconazole or FishMox or Fishacyllin or any of the like.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the loophole must be that china is allowed to sell whatever it wants online.....lol

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in your case, your vet just dispensed them OTC for you, but expressly only for your fish?

Huh...there shouldn't be a reason to order from china then, right? (I mean fine if you want to, but if you don't want to...)

(I assume the loophole on this, if true, is due to these being ornamental fish and not food fish. Sorta stands to reason if so. I wonder how widely this loophole is supported?)

Well, interesting....

Nobody is ordering from China. Pay-less is in the US.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
China?
  • From virtually everything that's sold in the USA. ;)
  • It just sounds like our "legitimate loophole" might be an oxymoron....and china is the most likely source if USA sources are technically contraband.
  • Plus payless looks and acts like a pretty typical china/ebay operation....even if there's a "warehouse" here in the USA.
  • Just guessing though.....payless doesn't claim where they're from as far as I can tell.
  • It's OK if they're from china IMO. If you're drawing the line on china, this is a funny place to draw it. ;)

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
China?
  • It just sounds like our "legitimate loophole" might be an oxymoron....and china is the most likely source if USA sources are technically contraband.
  • Plus payless looks and acts like a pretty typical china/ebay operation....even if there's a "warehouse" here in the USA.
  • Just guessing though.....payless doesn't claim where they're from as far as I can tell.
  • It's OK if they're from china IMO. If you're drawing the line on china, this is a funny place to draw it. ;)

I think they are located in California or they were at one time. I'll send them an email and ask. Someone here on the forum knows them(I think).

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NCreefguy (or anyone) does it say Made In USA on your pills or the packaging anywhere? If it's non-specific...

No I don't see where it's made but the writing is definitely different.
FishFlucon_zpsnanbm9t0.jpg

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
China?
I wasn't drawing a line on ordering from China...You have just made several statements on people ordering this straight from China when we are not.(not that there is anything wrong with that) (Seinfeld) I can't say where Payless get their meds from though as I'm not affiliated with them.They may get them from a US bulk supplier or they may get them from over seas.

I know that's been posted a hundred times, but I just clicked for the first time out of curiosity.
Prescription meds without a prescription straight from China with free shipping by the US Postal Service. :confused::rolleyes:
:D:D:D:D:D
Wonderful.
Real life is always better than anything they could make up in the movies.
So the loophole must be that china is allowed to sell whatever it wants online.....lol
Huh...there shouldn't be a reason to order from china then, right?

Last edited:
OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so let's get this thread back on track.

If those of you who have tried this treatment and it didn't work for you,can you post some pics of your tank with maybe some close-ups of your algae. We were trying to get an idea if anyone had Bryopsis and it didn't work for them if it was possibly because that they may have had some form of gha and not bryopsis to begin with. It doesn't seem to work with all gha species but since this thread is generally about Bryopsis,we want to see if there are cases that it was confirmed Bryopsis but didn't kill it. This may help others in the future if they have an algae that resembles yours but ends up not being Bryopsis.

Last edited:

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rakie just wonder if you had a pic you could post for diagnosis to confirm you have bryopsis?

Nope, not at the moment. I suffer from crappy camera syndrome, so frankly it would mostly be a blurry green splotch. But I have two typical bryopsis types (Yep, two visually different strains)

B. Pennata -- The fern-like bryopsis
bryop_pen.jpg

And what looks like B. Rhizophora
GBHKcXyHaq3N.jpg

Oh, and also -- It looks like my dinos are coming back once I took my fuge light down.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back