Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

bucfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unbelievable result! Had a bryopsis outbreak in 5 different spots for 5 weeks. Was thinking about the Kent Mag but heard that the formulation had changed and it does not work. Then came across this thread suggested by my LFS. Put 4500 mgs of Flucon into my 205g on Sunday morning with 15 ml of Vibrant. Did not have time to take pictures. There was no change in bryopsis yesterday and I thought I'd take pictures today as a start and then in a few days for progress. However, don't have a single trace of bryopsis left in my tank. It's all gone in less than 72 hours! I still can't believe how fast it worked.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unbelievable result! Had a bryopsis outbreak in 5 different spots for 5 weeks. Was thinking about the Kent Mag but heard that the formulation had changed and it does not work. Then came across this thread suggested by my LFS. Put 4500 mgs of Flucon into my 205g on Sunday morning with 15 ml of Vibrant. Did not have time to take pictures. There was no change in bryopsis yesterday and I thought I'd take pictures today as a start and then in a few days for progress. However, don't have a single trace of bryopsis left in my tank. It's all gone in less than 72 hours! I still can't believe how fast it worked.

That's great news bucfan! I would still probably wait at least a week or so before you do any water changes just to make sure that the roots are gone as well.

Slarti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a gorgonian of sorts or maybe a type of sea fan or macro. Is it a red/maroon in color? Hard to tell under blue. It looks very similar to a macro that I just lost due to hungry Mexican turbos.

Asked my son last night and he said it has a dark pinkish colour, so my guess is red/maroon under a pure white light may be the go...

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asked my son last night and he said it has a dark pinkish colour, so my guess is red/maroon under a pure white light may be the go...
It is either a red bamboo (solieria spp), red gravilaria or a gorgonian. In any case it's great to have :)

Slarti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is either a red bamboo (solieria spp), red gravilaria or a gorgonian. In any case it's great to have :)

Well I will stop trying to pull it out then and see what happens... :confused: Looking at the options the gorgonian looks closest to it but I will wait for the algae to disappear, let it grow in peace for a while and then take another photo.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are we on people updating their votes? Impressive numbers so far!!

Seems like the votes are kinda stuck as-is.

There's about 10-20 new votes in the YES and STILL TESTING categories and a few more in the NO category since I asked about this earlier.

But the proportion of votes is still about the same.

Whichever way the STILL TESTING votes go could be enough to swing the poll one way or the other, so I'd really like folks to keep their poll results updated. Just wish I knew a way to make that happen. :D :p

Elwood Dowd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello folks, Its been a while but I figured I would check back in and give you all a update. It has been a hair over two months since I completed treatment. I am pleased to say there is not a hint of anything algae related in my tank, except coralline. It is growing on everything. I had a bout of dino's after the bryopsis was all dead and the dinos took over as my new plague. 3 days of darkness, I stopped all vodka dosing, no water changes, and I dosed H2O2 (i do not remember the dose but I think it was the recommended amount from one of Randy's threads) I need to be really clear here, THE FLUCONAZOL DID NOT CREATE MY DINOFLAGELLATE ISSUE. The dinos were already there and the lack of bryopsis allowed them to flourish. anyway, I have a happy tank except for this danged golden head goby who is intent on making a daily sand storm in my display. (if any of you are in Jacksonville FL and have the appropriate substrate and would enjoy a healthy active golden head goby, I encourage you to pm me. I will try and catch him so that you may have a free golden head goby)

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello folks, Its been a while but I figured I would check back in and give you all a update. It has been a hair over two months since I completed treatment. I am pleased to say there is not a hint of anything algae related in my tank, except coralline. It is growing on everything. I had a bout of dino's after the bryopsis was all dead and the dinos took over as my new plague. 3 days of darkness, I stopped all vodka dosing, no water changes, and I dosed H2O2 (i do not remember the dose but I think it was the recommended amount from one of Randy's threads) I need to be really clear here, THE FLUCONAZOL DID NOT CREATE MY DINOFLAGELLATE ISSUE. The dinos were already there and the lack of bryopsis allowed them to flourish. anyway, I have a happy tank except for this danged golden head goby who is intent on making a daily sand storm in my display. (if any of you are in Jacksonville FL and have the appropriate substrate and would enjoy a healthy active golden head goby, I encourage you to pm me. I will try and catch him so that you may have a free golden head goby)
That is wonderful news! Thank you for letting us know. If you haven't voted or updated the poll we would appreciate if you could take a moment to do so :)

Sorry about the dinos... I have a small amount in my seahorse tank in one spot, most is in the sump what a p.i.t.b.!

Once the goby has cleaned up most of the sb he'll stop making such a mess and you will love him for keeping it beautiful. The 1st time I had one I hated it too but then the flying sand stopped and bleach white sand was there from then on [emoji12]

Elwood Dowd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the goby encouragement. He is really pretty and fun to watch. its quite the conundrum. Give him away and have clear water but miss his personality or keep him and enjoy watching him in a sand storm lol.

I voted long ago. and the dinos are handled. the darkness, peroxide, lack of water changes and stopping the vodka dose worked.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the goby encouragement. He is really pretty and fun to watch. its quite the conundrum. Give him away and have clear water but miss his personality or keep him and enjoy watching him in a sand storm lol.

I voted long ago. and the dinos are handled. the darkness, peroxide, lack of water changes and stopping the vodka dose worked.
That's good to hear!

My dinos came when the tank was new. And honestly I don't know why I still have them because the seahorse tank is not the cleanest tank believe me . The seahorses get fed several times a day and nitrates are almost always 15 or above. So it makes no sense to me LOL I'm just glad they're in my Sump and not all over the display. They're only in one location in the display which is on the apex probe holder.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's great news!! I'm glad the treatment worked out for you. :)

authentic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I'm at 2 weeks and my tank is CLEAR!!!! Changing water and picking up where I left off... I was doing daily automatic water changes but noticed that with none over the last 2 weeks my tank is actually looking better so I am going to change to weekly

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm at 2 weeks and my tank is CLEAR!!!! Changing water and picking up where I left off... I was doing daily automatic water changes but noticed that with none over the last 2 weeks my tank is actually looking better so I am going to change to weekly
Congratulations! It's always nice to have happy news [emoji12]

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worked for me too...10 days in my 10 nano...no b. left at all...do have some diatoms on the glass...but seemed to be lessing as the day went along...;Pompus
Fantastic! It's really astounding how many people this is helping... beats any previous "fix" for bryopsis that I've ever heard of [emoji12]

RiaanP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if my question been asked and answered. 194 pages already on this thread... wow

Anyway, What happens to other macro algae, like cheato and caulerpa.
Fluconazole blocks the enzymatic pathway for the production of ergosterol. Ergosterol is essential for maintaining the cell wall integrity of plants.
If it blocks on bryopsis, why does it not block on Cheato?

It should destroy your algae scrubber as well. If effective on hairy algae, I do fully understand that. But why not cheato?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 86 76.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 14 12.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back