Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if my question been asked and answered. 194 pages already on this thread... wow

Anyway, What happens to other macro algae, like cheato and caulerpa.

If it blocks on bryopsis, why does it not block on Cheato?

It should destroy your algae scrubber as well. If effective on hairy algae, I do fully understand that. But why not cheato?
Chaeto doesn't have ergosteral from what I understand. ergosteral is what makes bryopsis undesirable to be eaten by fish and invertebrates. That's why they won't touch it. As you see it turning white they will then start picking at it and eating it. The same for GHA. So yes it will mess up your scrubber. You can temporarily remove the screen and save it in a bucket of sw. But personally I would just clean it and restart it later.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worked for me too...10 days in my 10 nano...no b. left at all...do have some diatoms on the glass...but seemed to be lessing as the day went along...;Pompus

Excellent! I'm glad the treatment worked for you. It's nice to be able to enjoy our tanks and not worry about bryopsis anymore. :)

bucfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been nearly a week since I treated the tank. No sign of bryopsis. Any noticeable bryopsis was gone in 3 days. But it has affected my algae reactor and it's not growing as well. When should I do a water change and reintroduce carbon?

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been nearly a week since I treated the tank. No sign of bryopsis. Any noticeable bryopsis was gone in 3 days. But it has affected my algae reactor and it's not growing as well. When should I do a water change and reintroduce carbon?
It's recommended to treat the tank for the entire 14 days. Although there aren't any signs of bryopsis, it may still need time to kill the roots.
One of the possible effects of fluconazole is that it would effect other certain types of algae, including macros. If you perform a water change now you may find that you'll have to repeat the treatment again. If your algae reactor recovers you'll be putting it back at risk again with a second treatment.
It's up to you at this point to make the decision to stop treatment. There's also no guarantee that your algae reactor will recover either.
Some people brought their activated carbon back online within a few days while others waited the full 2 weeks and in each case the results were pretty much the same. I can't remember if some might have had slower results when having activated carbon running during the treatment.
Make sure that you clean anything that you return back to the tank to ensure that any bryopsis is not being reintroduced.

bucfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's recommended to treat the tank for the entire 14 days. Although there aren't any signs of bryopsis, it may still need time to kill the roots.
One of the possible effects of fluconazole is that it would effect other certain types of algae, including macros. If you perform a water change now you may find that you'll have to repeat the treatment again. If your algae reactor recovers you'll be putting it back at risk again with a second treatment.
It's up to you at this point to make the decision to stop treatment. There's also no guarantee that your algae reactor will recover either.
Some people brought their activated carbon back online within a few days while others waited the full 2 weeks and in each case the results were pretty much the same. I can't remember if some might have had slower results when having activated carbon running during the treatment.
Make sure that you clean anything that you return back to the tank to ensure that any bryopsis is not being reintroduced.
Am I to understand that the algae scrubber is toast? How do I get it back online?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should regrow (in phases) once the tank is cleaned out and you have a nutrient supply for normal algae to use.

If possible, inoculating the tank with some rock, sand or detritus from a healthy tank would probably help the tank in general and the ATS get re-established better too.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 :)

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I to understand that the algae scrubber is toast? How do I get it back online?
I didn't have an algae scrubber running on my tank but if I remember correctly, either in this thread or one of the links, the possibility of fluconazole killing the algae on a scrubber was something to consider. Many have used the treatment to rid their tanks of other types of algae, mainly gha, so an algae scrubber is more than likely to be affected. It's possible that you might have to start all over again with your scrubber.
From the previous post I thought you had an algae reactor with chaeto. Now I see your situation. It's still going to be a hard call to stop treatment or to continue. Either way you may just have to start your algae scrubbers all over again.

bucfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't have an algae scrubber running on my tank but if I remember correctly, either in this thread or one of the links, the possibility of fluconazole killing the algae on a scrubber was something to consider. Many have used the treatment to rid their tanks of other types of algae, mainly gha, so an algae scrubber is more than likely to be affected. It's possible that you might have to start all over again with your scrubber.
From the previous post I thought you had an algae reactor with chaeto. Now I see your situation. It's still going to be a hard call to stop treatment or to continue. Either way you may just have to start your algae scrubbers all over again.
Ok when you say restart the scrubber what does that mean? Once I do the water change and reintroduce carbon will that not remove all the flucon? So then the algae should grow back? Or is there something else I have to do?

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok when you say restart the scrubber what does that mean? Once I do the water change and reintroduce carbon will that not remove all the flucon? So then the algae should grow back? Or is there something else I have to do?

Restart the scrubber by cleaning everything off of it and just start using it as you did when you first placed it on your system. (restart/start over). I'm not sure if just one water change will remove all of the meds but it's a start. What you're shooting for is to get your tank back on your normal tank maintenance schedule.

pastelball

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i have bryopsis. I have a total of 40 gallons. So do i just dose 2 capsules of the 200mg capsules. From muy understanding should just be 1 dose then wc change after 14 days.
f500ed6e871ad3fd5004c369060756a2.jpg

4690c081b06ae5e57feca9dc0bed4113.jpg

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i have bryopsis. I have a total of 40 gallons. So do i just dose 2 capsules of the 200mg capsules. From muy understanding should just be 1 dose then wc change after 14 days.
f500ed6e871ad3fd5004c369060756a2.jpg

4690c081b06ae5e57feca9dc0bed4113.jpg
1 200mg capsule per 10g of actual water volume including sump if you have one. No purigen or carbon if using, turn off skimmer or remove cup with skimmer dialed way down. Gfo is ok... remove ats if any and clean it. It will need to be restarted later on. Wc after 14 days if completely gone but you can add a week for assurance. Be sure you have enough clean up crew as this helps it along faster.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 35.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back