Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read all the 37 pages and all the posts to be up to date. I've ordered my capsules last night for my 30 cube. It's very low tech with hob filter stock carbon filter pad and a Berlin 90 air stone skimmer.
P04 is .05
N03 is .25 I think(I can't tell from the salifert testing kit it's too hard to determine)
Ncreefguy I see that your waiting to do a water change for 2 weeks which is what most of us are going to do but I haven't seen anyone ask how much to change since no longer term effects have been determined. With that being said could a 50 percent or even 100 percent wc be detrimental to corals after the waiting period is over?

My thinking for that is with the water change it would remove all the medication from the system.

Standard WC after the 10 days and put carbon back into the system. This is really basic, if you have an understanding of how meds, wc's, and carbon works in a system.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not like the medication is unknown or new to the hobby. However, the application is new. In the end you would treat the removal of the medication the same though.

As already stated. The ammount we are using to kill the Bry is a fraction of what would be used to treat a fish. Im assuming that the marine application in fish is way less than the application to FW fish. Usually we dose higher amounts of a medication in FW setups. So yeah in my mind if its not killing the inverts or corals in the first couple days there is really nothing to worry about and ultimately may not need any special WC or carbon removal. Proof is in the puddin.

Luis Figueroa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standard WC after the 10 days and put carbon back into the system. This is really basic, if you have an understanding of how meds, wc's, and carbon works in a system.
I've only ever dosed chemiclean in my tanks so I'm fairly new to adding meds. There's some people on here who've said they're still running carbon and skimmers without any adverse effects on corals and bryopsis still dying. I'm on the high side of nutrients so I don't want them getting out of control by shutting off the mechanical filtration.

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 gallon water change is only about 20% of at water change for me lol. And I want a bigger tank lol.

Once the stuff clears up and I plan on doing a continuous water change with my apex DOS not sure what I want to do first I'm thinking about putting another hundred gallons in the loop out in the garage

RyanSweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me if I'm missing something. I read all the pages and didn't see if this has been asked (or even tested).
There are multiple species of bryopsis (from my understanding), is fluconazole working on different varieties or is there just one or two that people have been having success with? I've been dosing Vibrant for almost 2 months and have had great success with it as far as everything except bryopsis. It will start to knock it back and a few days later the bryopsis will come back. Not as strong but pretty close. I know the cellular structure of the different varieties are at least similar so I don't know why it wouldn't work, but I'm just wondering if anyone has done tests with more than one variety.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me if I'm missing something. I read all the pages and didn't see if this has been asked (or even tested).
There are multiple species of bryopsis (from my understanding), is fluconazole working on different varieties or is there just one or two that people have been having success with? I've been dosing Vibrant for almost 2 months and have had great success with it as far as everything except bryopsis. It will start to knock it back and a few days later the bryopsis will come back. Not as strong but pretty close. I know the cellular structure of the different varieties are at least similar so I don't know why it wouldn't work, but I'm just wondering if anyone has done tests with more than one variety.

Nobody has come back with a report of their Bryopsis making it through the treatment yet,so until that happens, we can only assume that it is killing all species or we have all had the same kind so far. Hopefully no variety of bryopsis will make it.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only ever dosed chemiclean in my tanks so I'm fairly new to adding meds. There's some people on here who've said they're still running carbon and skimmers without any adverse effects on corals and bryopsis still dying. I'm on the high side of nutrients so I don't want them getting out of control by shutting off the mechanical filtration.

Yeah if you're worried about more nutrients building up,I would just run your system as you normally would. I don't really think it will change anything.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also don't think changing anything is required. Pulling the activated carbon doesn't hurt.

Mine is all almost completely gone now. The CUC has eaten almost all of it. What is left is turning completely clear. I'm about 60 hours in from dosing.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also don't think changing anything is required. Pulling the activated carbon doesn't hurt.

Mine is all almost completely gone now. The CUC has eaten almost all of it. What is left is turning completely clear. I'm about 60 hours in from dosing.

Good times isn't it. :)

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's like reverse Christmas! I wake up every morning and run into the common area to see if horrible things have disappeared!!! :D:D:D

Yeah I'm not going to lie,there's a part of me deep inside that wishes I could find a little more Bryopsis in my tank just so I could kill it. I feel like my Bryopsis dying once just wasn't enough. :D

It's okay though...Now I can sit back and watch everybody else Bryopsis melt away.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm not going to lie,there's a part of me deep inside that wishes I could find a little more Bryopsis in my tank just so I could kill it. I feel like my Bryopsis dying once just wasn't enough. :D

It's okay though...Now I can sit back and watch everybody else Bryopsis melt away.

You can go coral shopping again!

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bryopsis came in with my first clean up crew when I introduced them in the tank. Whoops, the clean up crew that keeps on giving! It survived 6 months of being in an ULNS before I started keeping nutrients, since then it has taken advantage of that and been creeping slowly around the high flow areas. It can't be gone soon enough!

cnseekatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there was one post back at the beginning that described HOW you dosed the meds, but I can't seem to find it. Did you just dissolve the capsules in some tank water and pour into the display?

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there was one post back at the beginning that described HOW you dosed the meds, but I can't seem to find it. Did you just dissolve the capsules in some tank water and pour into the display?

I opened each capsule and dumped all of the powder in a cup of tank water,mixed it up and poured it in my DT in front of a power head.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 79 52.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back