Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now we are at Day 9 of the treatment. Last night before the lights went off it really looked like all of the Bryopsis was gone. However, today once the lights came on I could see that one or two little strands on the left just refusing to give up. It's okay....It keeps me in the game. :) But you can tell it's almost over.

Day 9 of treatment...
Day920of20treatment_zpsalecznd5.jpg

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now we are at Day 9 of the treatment. Last night before the lights went off it really looked like all of the Bryopsis was gone. However, today once the lights came on I could see that one or two little strands on the left just refusing to give up. It's okay....It keeps me in the game. :) But you can tell it's almost over.

Day 9 of treatment...
Day920of20treatment_zpsalecznd5.jpg

Your at the roots now. This is where my true concerns are at this point. Eliminate the root and we are in the clear ;)

Woolleson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the plot thickens this side of the pond [emoji849].

Got up this morning, rejection letter from the online pharmacy, they have cancelled my order stating "we are unable to sell that quantity ". I split the order between me and my sister but still go caught.

So down to to the local pharmacy, rejected again [emoji35]. He stated he wont sell more than one tablet (150 mg) unless on prescription. So tried the look its for algea control, wont sell it as there is no licence for its use as an algaecide [emoji36][emoji36][emoji36].

So unless anyone has a uk online supplier looks like I've gotta find 10 pharmaceutical outlets and buy a capsule at a time........ Meh

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your at the roots now. This is where my true concerns are at this point. Eliminate the root and we are in the clear ;)

Yeah this is the real test. I think for the most part(from searching around) it generally takes about 2 weeks for everything to be gone,including roots. With me being nine days in then that's probably about right where I'll end up too.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think @NCreefguy and I have if not the same species something very similar, where as I feel that @Rick.45cal may be dealing with a weaker species. However, this may be attributed to how we run our systems. Im my case I have no skimmer on this system and feed 1 cube of frozen food a day.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just opened the capsules and dumped it right in the DT in front of the return

I had 20 capsules to open so I sat at the table and opened mine. Plus I didn't want to drop one because I had a four legged buddy that was watching every move I made thinking that I was opening up something for him to eat.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the plot thickens this side of the pond [emoji849].

Got up this morning, rejection letter from the online pharmacy, they have cancelled my order stating "we are unable to sell that quantity ". I split the order between me and my sister but still go caught.

So down to to the local pharmacy, rejected again [emoji35]. He stated he wont sell more than one tablet (150 mg) unless on prescription. So tried the look its for algea control, wont sell it as there is no licence for its use as an algaecide [emoji36][emoji36][emoji36].

So unless anyone has a uk online supplier looks like I've gotta find 10 pharmaceutical outlets and buy a capsule at a time........ Meh

Well that's not good. Although you could be the first one to just use 1 capsule at a time and see if your Bryopsis still dies.

Woolleson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's not good. Although you could be the first one to just use 1 capsule at a time and see if your Bryopsis still dies.

Lol...... Think somehow that might be a long expensive process that way.

Ill have to save them up one bye one, or find a online. Back to google for further searching

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol...... Think somehow that might be a long expensive process that way.

Ill have to save them up one bye one, or find a online. Back to google for further searching

I'll try to find something that's on your side of the pond and let you know.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@stevo01 I dunno if mine is weaker or worse than yours, mine is pretty nasty stuff and nothing else even slows it down.

I think the measure of who's is worse is gonna be, who's comes back or doesn't go away after fluconazole! I don't want to be the winner in that contest!

Food for thought: Anyone attempting this treatment needs to be committed to 100% erradication. If your bryopsis survives this treatment it is ecologically irresponsible/borderline morally reprehensible to allow it to contaminate other systems. We don't need to proliferate an even worse variation of this nasty stuff. Just my $.02

Woolleson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, think I might of found a site! It looks a bit dodgy TBH but least i can (hopefully) bulk.

For others in the uk its here

http://pharmlocker.com/buy-diflucan-uk.html

Not ordered yet, but assume diflucan is just another name?

Please advise if this is not the same, ill leave off ordering for an hour or till i get a reply.

Then update if the purchase went through [emoji848]

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, think I might of found a site! It looks a bit dodgy TBH but least i can (hopefully) bulk.

Please advise if this is not the same, ill leave off ordering for an hour or till i get a reply.

Looks like fluconazole too me

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm still not sure about the tablets. I don't know what binding agents they use or anything. See if @twilliard thinks that it would be okay to crush the tablets and use them instead of the capsules.It's just hard to recommend something that I haven't tried.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still not sure about the tablets. I don't know what binding agents they use or anything. See if @twilliard thinks that it would be okay to crush the tablets and use them instead of the capsules.It's just hard to recommend something that I haven't tried.
Tablets do have a different binder. In most of the tablet work I have done wax is used.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 146 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.6%
Back