Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170126_162416.jpg

20170126_162437.jpg

20170126_162551.jpg
20170126_162454.jpg

20170126_162421.jpg

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely let us know how your chaeto reacts. A lot of people are wondering if it's going to die during treatment.
I'll update on the health of the chaeto for sure. I'm not too worried about losing it, I can get more from if it does die off.
I'm also watching the bubble algae in my tanks as well. Want to see what happens to it during this medication period. I know I can get rid of the bubble algae after the treatment if it's still there.

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a shot from today. Again, I maintained the camera settings and even left the salt streak. I will clean the glass one of these days. I did not manually remove any of the dying bryopsis. As you can see, it is disappearing fast. A reminder that I had used Vibrant for 2 months and I believe it weakened the bryopsis so my results are faster then the average.

January 26

Jan_26_Bryop_zpsstlhggsa.jpg~original
That's amazing! I'm hoping that in the following days my treatment has similar results.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll update on the health of the chaeto for sure. I'm not too worried about losing it, I can get more from if it does die off.
I'm also watching the bubble algae in my tanks as well. Want to see what happens to it during this medication period. I know I can get rid of the bubble algae after the treatment if it's still there.

Yeah it wouldn't bother me either to have to replace chaeto but I know some people have large amounts of different macro types and wonder if it will all die off.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is already further than I got with Vibrant vs bryopsis. But, I started leaning out wayyy to much and bleached some corals. My bad I went too long and heavy dosing vibrant. As soon as I took a break the corals came back and the bry came on harder then ever.

So glad to have you guys here with me. Its a special time for all of us!

I agree with @Rick.45cal about seeing this through once its began. It would be devastating if the evil weed grew a resistance from limited exposure! @twilliard is the man for this. Is it ethical to try to grow a resistant strain? Idk, but I would like to know if a resistance can be built up, and eventually evolve into a new species. I just want this stuff dead and gone.

Bryopsis grows in most oceans in the world. Yuk! Ive read that it grows like beast in places that get a lot of freshwater flowing in.

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somebody needs to figure out what the min dosage is and market it as a aquarium algaeside
I hope that's something that will get figured out as well. It could definitely be useful for those that might not have access to large quantities that we are currently medicating our tanks with.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hoe my tank out about once a week. I get a heavy pint of bry out of it. Smells like spinach. Like an enriched green of some sort. I dont like it. Looking forward to my corals growing like mad again!

cnseekatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hoe my tank out about once a week. I get a heavy pint of bry out of it. Smells like spinach. Like an enriched green of some sort. I dont like it. Looking forward to my corals growing like mad again!

Maybe you can sell it as a Super Food at the farmer's market? Just tell people it's antioxidant and aids in circulation, heart health, and erections.

tjnorthdakota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope that's something that will get figured out as well. It could definitely be useful for those that might not have access to large quantities that we are currently medicating our tanks with.
Not only that but for people in other contries that cant just buy the drug in pill form and there is also a certain trust that goes with a "aquarium labeled product" ease of purchase for noobies in the hobby.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, the trick to manually removing bryopsis is to let it grow enough it starts to matt together, but doesnt cover the corals. Then it comes out in solid clumps and really close to the rock/coral. The corals just wont grow much at that point.

Its the rooooooots!

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you can sell it as a Super Food at the farmer's market? Just tell people it's antioxidant and aids in circulation, heart health, and erections.

Its smell is a deterant enough to NOT want eat it. Wonder if thats one of its defense mechanisms?

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully not a hick up in my delivery, as it was in my city now the tracking shows its in the next city over. Is the package being viewed/screened.

Your mailman lives in the next city and he's treating his tank right now. :D

samparker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've managed to get a script, will be enough to treat my soft coral tank and frag tank to prove the concept (with our local version of Fluconazole which should be the same) before stockpiling up for my main display tank.

On a side note, any plans for Vibrant to be made available in Australia? That sounds awfully handy too

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 55 32.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 46 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 32.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back