Bryopsis fluconazole Susan's RMS Max c250

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I've ordered my flucon and as soon as it gets here, I'm going on a Bryopsis killing spree....

I have been trying to get this under control forever. Started in April with Nopox, added Vibrant in May, and in June, Biodigest. Nothing works, not even some H2ho dosing.

Nitrates remain at 20-80, mostly in the 40-80 range. I pluck, I pull, I scrape, I brush, I yank. Repeatedly and nothing. In fact, all of a sudden, it's in the sand bed. I pull out huge hunks of algae and it's also on a rock that's never had it before. It's taking over.

Tomorrow or Monday, I'm pulling out my scooter blenny in order to allow the tank, and the display refugium to go fishless due to marine velvet and ick (see marine velvet thread or my build thread for info on that disaster...).

I vowed to take the next 76ish odd days to get my algae under control, nitrates down to 5-10 and end up with a pristine tank before I add fish back in. Even adding pods to really get that population going.

Tank info:
Red Sea Max c250, 66 gal/53 approx with sand and rock
Started with dry rock.
Nitrates 20-80, Phos .1 ish
all other within normal range
Cuc in tank with assorted corals. Only sun coral needs feeding, will add pellets every few days for cuc and shrimps
Added pods
No fish after Sun or Mon. Suvivors of velvet are in qt tank with copper, blenny waiting for cp and he's going in his own tank with pods.

Here are some pics

Full tank shot. I'll try to use the last two shots as my updates as they are the 2 worst rocks. Hoping my meds come in a day or two! PS. See all my baby snails. I have even some newer babies.

20170721_200124_resized.jpg

20170721_200137_resized.jpg
20170721_200143_resized.jpg
20170721_200151_resized.jpg
20170721_200157_resized.jpg
20170721_202652_resized.jpg
20170721_200235_resized.jpg
20170721_200228_resized.jpg

20170721_200213_resized.jpg

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Susan, before you dose the fluconazole pull as much of that as you can ( where at all possible outside the tank, pulling it inside the tank only makes it spread). There may be way too much there for one dose of fluconazole. You also need a lot of snails to help with the removal of it.

Best of luck

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@prsnlty If 1 dose doesn't do it, will do more than one. Just redid the rocks from tearing down to get fish out so don't want to distrupt the corals again. I'll get out what I can. Lucky I have batches of new trochus snails. Tons of them plus 2 turbos and 6 narsarius. Could always put the big emerald crab back in. He's in the refugium (a display one) as he wouldn't leave some of the corals alone.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I have approx 53 total water volume give or take so I dosed 5 capsules (20 mg per gal, or 200 mg per 10. Both work out to 1000 mg). I hope this is correct. I won't be surprised if I have to do 2 doses but at least right now, as of today, I am fishless. I start the 76 day count down tomorrow. When this tank is done, I'll dose the 37 gal display refugium that is next to it. Approx 29 total water. Tanks are not plumbed together yet which is good as I have a chance to clear each one.

I turned off the skimmer. I'll keep it off if I can for the 2 weeks. With only cuc and corals, it should be okay, although I do feed my sun corals (30 head colony).

I dosed around 8pm so that's when I'll take my update pics so it is a complete day. See you all tomorrow for day one! In the meantime, die you da** bryopsis

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 1 Okay, I'm going to use the same 4 pics with the current pic beside it to document--no need to go find previous pictures this way. I don't have the close up before pic of the 3rd and 4th images. I'll post other odd pics as I see progress. I do know 1 day isn't enough to see but wanted to get my graphic file ready <g>. Optimistic here...

bryopsis pics day 1.jpg

bryopsis pic 3.jpg
20170724_121639_resized.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell this is going to be like watching a pot of water come to a boil....

Day 2 Some lightening of tips or fading. Maybe some looking like it's gong to let loose. I turned off protein skimmer. Should it be on for a few hours a day to catch the nasty stuff?

bryopsis pics day 2.jpg

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell this is going to be like watching a pot of water come to a boil....

Day 2 Some lightening of tips or fading. Maybe some looking like it's gong to let loose. I turned off protein skimmer. Should it be on for a few hours a day to catch the nasty stuff?

bryopsis pics day 2.jpg
No, leave it off a week if you can but at least 4 days

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3. Seeing lots of algae turning white or grayish white! Whoo hoo. More up high than down low. Pleased to see something happening! Here are the day 3 pics. Had to move my bird's nest as I knocked the frag off. Will be glad to have all the algae gone so I can permenantly glue down frags. Hard to glue on top of a carpet of algae...

Redid my tank water calculations and have closer to 60 gal not 53. It's hard to estimate rock weight. So I added one more capsule.
bryopsis pics day 3.jpg

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3. Seeing lots of algae turning white or grayish white! Whoo hoo. More up high than down low. Pleased to see something happening! Here are the day 3 pics. Had to move my bird's nest as I knocked the frag off. Will be glad to have all the algae gone so I can permenantly glue down frags. Hard to glue on top of a carpet of algae...

Redid my tank water calculations and have closer to 60 gal not 53. It's hard to estimate rock weight. So I added one more capsule.
bryopsis pics day 3.jpg
Fantastic! Yeah for some reason the light actually helps to kill it quicker that's why the ones up top start dying first. If you had any flood lights that you might want to hit the tank with from the outside or maybe some fluorescent strip lights aimed at a semi up or r5 angle it'll help kill some of the stubborn stuff in the shadows.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will see what I have @prsnlty . I'm eager to see a nice, pretty tank and very hopeful thus far
That's great! Actually it's doing a good job on yours. The average tank normally doesn't start whitening tips until 4-5 days into the treatment. You got this!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back