Bryopsis gha or turf algae?

SolarReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been battling this hair algae for a couple months now, not sure which kind of algae it is. Bought a bunch of snails and hermits they won’t touch it, got a tomini tang, it won’t touch it. I was getting ready to get a couple emerald crabs but I don’t want to keep adding livestock if they’re not going to take care of the problem. Should I use fluconazole? Been doing water changes to get nutrient levels down.

IMG_4765.jpeg IMG_4766.jpeg IMG_4767.jpeg IMG_4768.jpeg IMG_4769.jpeg IMG_4771.jpeg IMG_4770.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While hair algae can easily be pulled from a rock, bryopsis requires a tug like you are pulling grass out of the ground. That is the easiest test

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under slight magnification, bryopsis will show a fern like brach structure. This looks more like good 'ole GHA.
Personally, I would not dose fluc for GHA. For byopsis you don't really have a choice. This is likely a phase. How old is the tank?

Lastly, a one spot foxface will mow that stuff down as long as you don't overfeed. I run heavy nutrient 20/.25 all the time and have absolutely no visible algae.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and low phosphate and nitrate by themselves won't really keep hair algae in check. You also need predation.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have anything to add regarding the question-although I do think probably just hair algae-but I have to complement the original poster for multiple high quality images that do not look like they were taken under a black light. Best of luck beating your algae.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back