Bryopsis in SPS tank...

dnyceli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Vibrant is carbon dosing .if you are not reading any PO4 or NO3 you should not be carbon dosing. You are worried about using Fluconizole, but not worried about dosing Vibrant? I’ve had 2 friends crash their tank with Vibrant. We used Fluconizole in our shop tanks and personal tanks will no I’ll effects and found it very affective. You will need to turn your skimmer off during the treatment so you will need to air rate the water to keep the PH stable

nicolaszapata

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Im from Chile and here we cant buy Reeflux, but Im MD and I can buy human fluconazole. I read that the dosing is 20mg/galon. Is that right?

Greetings!

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an issue with Vibrant which allowed Dino's to kick in when nutrients dropped. However, I think addition of new tanks, etc caused the dino's as well so I cant confirm it is 100% Vibrant. However, I wouldnt go that route again unless it was a last resort.

I have an SPS dominate system with over 80 pieces and have had 100% success with Fluconazole. Turn your skimmer off and 10-14 days later GHA and Bryopsis will be gone.

OP
OP
Wunderpus

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, I’ve got some fluconazole on the way, guys! I’ll keep you posted. As a side note, the vibrant does appear to be weakening the bryopsis currently, however I will discontinue it from here on....

OP
OP
Wunderpus

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I’m already impressed by this... 3 days in at 15mgs/gallon of fluconazole and my bryopsis is about 98% cleared... Holy cow.... Where was this years ago? ! Anyway, I’ll let the fluconazole “stay” in the system for 2 weeks to make sure I nuke the roots. But, overall I am THRILLED with this treatment. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

OP
OP
Wunderpus

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay ladies and gents, good news and bad news time! Good news is, the bryopsis is almost entirely gone! Bad news is, bubble algae now seems to be going rampant due to the excess nutrients etc. What are your thoughts on any bubble algae treatment besides Vibrant? Im now scared of the stuff due to to numerous reports I’ve read about Vibrant screwing up tanks... It seems as though I can’t win, haha!
Thanks all!

brewandreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat here. I have a nano full of sps and a few lps. I've had some red turf algae for awhile that's slowly taking over and then bryopsis popped out of nowhere. I've been dosing vibrant every 3 days for almost 2 weeks , and it seems to be knocking out some algae slowly, but bryopsis not so much. I ordered some reef flux but I'll probably continue with the vibrant for now. Figure if I prune regularly and the vibrant doesn't help, last resort will be the fluc. I absolutely hate dosing anything to my tank besides the big 3.

mshur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used fluconazole for 3 weeks. I was gone in less than two. Now it's back.... seems to survive in places that do not get a lot of light, for example deep inside an SPS. So go extra long just to be certain. You shouldn't have to pay much for than $15 per 100 gal or 10 200 mg capsules.

i am on the same boat. Run it for 3 weeks and 3 weeks tank was clean. Last night i saw some small patching growing again, very few spots but still.
I guess second treatment is coming .

OP
OP
Wunderpus

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a follow up here, the treatment worked great! There appears to be zero evidence of any bryopsis, and I couldn't be happier. Thank you everyone for your help, truly!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back