BSA coral codes?

FO_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sir come off the high horse , dangerous if you fall.

Give me a break, they all come from the ocean, just because one guy has a 10k camera and creative naming of corals doesn’t meant prices have to be high. Ferrari VS Toyota analogy is microcosm of why the ocean is practically dead.
How is his analogy a “microcosm” for harm being done to the ocean? High end corals are aquacultured, which is much more environmentally friendly than wild gathered.

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is his analogy a “microcosm” for harm being done to the ocean? High end corals are aquacultured, which is much more environmentally friendly than wild gathered.

Simple. The quest for “high” end corals, rare pieces comes at a very high price. Further destruction of the ocean, ask anyone who imports wild coral. Exporters will make you buy cheap stuff so you can get your rare one, (making it further worth their while) and the cheap stuff sometimes ends up in the trash.

They are not going to just send you the one rare one you want.

They all come from the ocean at some point, and the quest for new , rare pieces means more destruction in the wild. I have seen an lfs bring in rare wild pieces, along with cheap items he had to buy in order to get it sent, and these “cheap” pieces, ended up in the garbage.

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow yes, Luxury brands in corals. There are luxury brands in tons of things that aren't manufactured, you simpleton.

Luxury Hotels, luxury dry cleaners, luxury massages, luxury prostitute, any service thats premium could be considered luxury. You could call a orange merchant "luxury" if your fruit comes in a velvet lined box, hand delivered from the best groves of california. Jeez..Whole point being that for almost everything there is someone who caters to people with money and a desire for the best of the best, regardless of whether its coral or champagne..

Luxury hotels are natural? Not man made...

Keep em comin....

And what this translates to for most is, if their is a sucker to be had, someone will find them. I can go onto wwc, find a dozen pieces on there for over two hundred each, and find those same pieces, without their stupid name at a 15 dollar frag bin.

Point being, these are not manufactured or designed, taken from nature, a person who thinks otherwise probably still believes the ocean is in good shape

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Wildreefs You’re still learning, that’s cool, listen to @305Reefer, might learn something

Learning a lot. Seeing first hand why most “seasoned” guys keep tight lipped and tell others to stay off message boards. 1000 overnight experts, people who’ve been in the game 6 months and give others “advice”. Others who flaunt their purchases in order to off set the feeling of being taken.

But hey, we all learned something. You learned that instead of asking for discount codes or coupons, you should pay they guy extra for his “luxury” corals

FO_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learning a lot. Seeing first hand why most “seasoned” guys keep tight lipped and tell others to stay off message boards. 1000 overnight experts, people who’ve been in the game 6 months and give others “advice”. Others who flaunt their purchases in order to off set the feeling of being taken.

But hey, we all learned something. You learned that instead of asking for discount codes or coupons, you should pay they guy extra for his “luxury” corals
You seem like a pretty sad person. Enjoy the hobby your way and allow others to enjoy it in their own. Actually studies have shown that mariculture corals (which is actually where most corals come from before they are selected as “designer corals”) are not harmful to reefs in a significant way. Global climate change is by far and away the main culprit. Actually mariculture and aquaculture may play a role in reseeding the ocean with species that are resistant to higher temperatures and acidification (https://www.google.com/amp/s/phys.org/news/2018-11-biggest-coral-reseeding-great-barrier.amp,
https://www.google.com/amp/s/phys.org/news/2012-12-corals-reef-ecosystems.amp). Who was it who made the comment about the dangers of a high horse? If you really believe this hobby is so harmful, maybe don’t participate. As to your claim that the old heads of this hobby don’t participate in this forum, that is just plain wrong. Plenty of very active members on R2r have been making contributions to the hobby for over 40 years. Pretty hilarious that you are accusing others of being “overnight experts” seems to me you are projecting.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 72 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back