BTA in a SPS system?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the answer is probably no, but can I have bubble tip anemone in a SPS system without issue?

Thanks

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but the without issue part is relative. I have kept them for a few years. They have touched sps a few times and it was never an issue and then there were times where they moved and consistently touched an acro and this caused die off after a few days but only of the spot where it constantly rubbed. I actually find that they try pretty hard to not touch acros.

I had one get sucked into a power head this week for the first time and everything in the tank seems to be ok so far.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider myself lucky to have 4 large BTaas stuck to a small island in the front of the tank and they haven't moved in years. It could all change tomorrow so wouldn't recommend it.
20190913_191419.jpg
20190913_190241.jpg

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider myself lucky to have 4 large BTaas stuck to a small island in the front of the tank and they haven't moved in years. It could all change tomorrow so wouldn't recommend it.
20190913_191419.jpg
20190913_190241.jpg

Beautiful nem island sir.

The risk of them walking over a stick-infested reef is so risky imo. We work so hard to keep everything perfect and stable for sps to thrive, and the thought of that all going out the door because a nem decided to go sleepwalking one time isnt worth it, imo.

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do bta's move? I have two that each moved to a spot and have been there ever since. About a month. I'm asking because I just added a dozen acropora frags and now I'm worried after reading this.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful nem island sir.

The risk of them walking over a stick-infested reef is so risky imo. We work so hard to keep everything perfect and stable for sps to thrive, and the thought of that all going out the door because a nem decided to go sleepwalking one time isnt worth it, imo.
Thank you. As said I wouldn't recommend it...
I was sorting out some old pics of my tank and saw my bta in an old tank in the same position in pics over 5-6 years.
These anemones were on the same piece of rock against that right island for at least 3-4 years. I changed the right island scape around a year ago and moved the anemones to the front while waiting to take them out. And they never moved of it. Then my pair of clowns took to them , I enjoy the clown anemone interaction so much that I cant take them out anymore.
Having them.on theirnown rock with sand around can help prevent them moving to other islands as apparently they hate sand but still not a guaranty. I also have 3 anemones on a rock of their own in a 23g nano. Since more than 2 years. I'm changing the scape but believe will keep them in the tank as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was sitting outside some old pics of my tank and saw my bra in an old tank in the same position in pics over 5-6 years.

Saw that and it brought out the 11 year old in me. Since I'm 53... that's pretty good. ;Wideyed;Wideyed;Woot;Wacky

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s risky to have one in an sps tank but I couldn’t resist having BTA in my 2nd tank .
One of my friends that owned a reef shop gave me a fairly large BTA .Before the acclimation process I turned off my pumps and wave makers as I put BTA in tank . I looked for an area of rock crevices where BTA would be happy.i left all pumps off until I though BTA had a foothold . So far so good after 3 months . I feed him once a week with silversides and has not thought of moving (knock on wood)!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't keep sps but I do keep nems. I have an island of them that have been where they are for a few years. On the other hand I have 30 or so in another tank and I usually see a new one or one that moved weekly or close to that. I have purchased 4 and had as many as 50 at one time so they do not always stay single or stay put. In an SPS tank I personally would not have them.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, since my tank is brand new and has no Coral in it yet. In theory I could get a BTA or two. Let them settle in and then keep my fingers crossed that they stay put.

I know it will take a long time for me get SPS into my tank so giving the nem time to settle I could be good.

Yes, I would be taking a chance but it might be a safe bet if I do it right...Yes.. this is one of those posts where the OP asks should I or not.. lots of folks tell him not to.. but they ignore the wisdom of some folks.. I do want to say thank you for your wisdom I appreciate the time you took to answer my question.

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, since my tank is brand new and has no Coral in it yet. In theory I could get a BTA or two. Let them settle in and then keep my fingers crossed that they stay put.

I know it will take a long time for me get SPS into my tank so giving the nem time to settle I could be good.

Yes, I would be taking a chance but it might be a safe bet if I do it right...Yes.. this is one of those posts where the OP asks should I or not.. lots of folks tell him not to.. but they ignore the wisdom of some folks.. I do want to say thank you for your wisdom I appreciate the time you took to answer my question.
I’ve done that same approach and so far so good after 3 months . I now have several acans and a few sps but so far so good!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back