BTA shedding tentacles.

Auqaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
My BTA split 2-3 weeks ago. I’m happy to say both are doing well LOL.
I noticed some bright neon shrivelled tentacles on the sand bed last couple days. I believe it’s because he’s starving and consuming it’s own tentacles. Is this true?
I only feed it pellets and whatever the other fish don’t eat but will be feeding frozen shrimp tomorrow.
Here’s a pic

1A9ADF29-5357-4CB5-9145-2A649CE1E83C.jpeg 638D4A49-EF89-4304-930C-86F24DC91FF1.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be getting the nutrients it needs from light alone. How long have you had the anemone? What type of lighting? How old of a tank? Splitting happens on both ends of the spectrum. They either split due to enough food to support a split, or they split as a survival measure in an attempt to reduce stress. My rainbow just split about a week ago and you almost can't tell.

OP
OP
Auqaman

Auqaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be getting the nutrients it needs from light alone. How long have you had the anemone? What type of lighting? How old of a tank? Splitting happens on both ends of the spectrum. They either split due to enough food to support a split, or they split as a survival measure in an attempt to reduce stress. My rainbow just split about a week ago and you almost can't tell.
Have you ever had bright tentacles fall off them?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do yours only get feed off light? Or do you target fed them?
My tank is about 12 months old. The nem is around 10.
I don't directly feed any of them. Recently I was feeding my rainbow on purpose to promote a split. It was getting too big. I would wait for more to weigh in. I have a few healthy nems in my tank but that doesn't make me an expert by a long shot.

OP
OP
Auqaman

Auqaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't directly feed any of them. Recently I was feeding my rainbow on purpose to promote a split. It was getting too big. I would wait for more to weigh in. I have a few healthy nems in my tank but that doesn't make me an expert by a long shot.
I think having a nem is always just an experiment. I’ll start feeding some chopped frozen shrimp and see what happens

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of lighting do you have? Do they get as close to them as possible? There's also nothing wrong with feeding your nems. Just don't force it. If they are hungry the food will stick to the tentacles.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think having a nem is always just an experiment. I’ll start feeding some chopped frozen shrimp and see what happens
Mine catch their food as I feed my fish. I feed all frozen or prepared food though so there's always plenty in the water during feeding time.

OP
OP
Auqaman

Auqaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of lighting do you have? Do they get as close to them as possible? There's also nothing wrong with feeding your nems. Just don't force it. If they are hungry the food will stick to the tentacles.
AI primes. If anything I’d probably lower the power on them to keep the algae down. But the nems are on high rocks so maybe they’re reaching for the light???

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI primes. If anything I’d probably lower the power on them to keep the algae down. But the nems are on high rocks so maybe they’re reaching for the light???
Mine are under kessil 360s at 85% and they still sit at the top of the rock work. Guessing somewhere in the 200+ par range. With algae are your nutrients bottoming? Could also be a factor. I try and keep my nitrates between 10 and 15.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen this before in perfectly healthy nems. I dont know why they shed their tentacles but it does happen. Sometimes in higher flow I've even seen the tentacles get so twisted they literally twist off. I would monitor for overall health. If it loses lots of them or begins to decrease in size then we should look deeper.
Remember your nem should be receiving the majority of its nutrients from the light. Supplemental feeding is not always necessary.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back