BTA Split!!!

Visionz44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 month in tank and it is already splitting.

1709220939547.png

OP
OP
Visionz44

Visionz44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am shocked it only took 1 month. I have 3 clown fish and they don't even touch it :) I just keep waiting. now with 2 my odds might be better hahaha

garygb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am shocked it only took 1 month. I have 3 clown fish and they don't even touch it :) I just keep waiting. now with 2 my odds might be better hahaha
If you want a sure bet host situation with BTA (Entacmaea quadricolor) go with the naturally hosted species of clown: maroons, tomatoes, clarkii, to name a few. If you have ocellaris or percula, you never know if it will happen with BTAs simply because they aren't natural symbionts with that species of anemone in the wild. The hosting problems generally boil down to trying to match non-naturally occurring species.

OP
OP
Visionz44

Visionz44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a sure bet host situation with BTA (Entacmaea quadricolor) go with the naturally hosted species of clown: maroons, tomatoes, clarkii, to name a few. If you have ocellaris or percula, you never know if it will happen with BTAs simply because they aren't natural symbionts with that species of anemone in the wild. The hosting problems generally boil down to trying to match non-naturally occurring species.
I have 2 Skunk clowns and 1 other type that I can't remember the name. looks like nemo but isn't.... I have to look up the name. I just forget

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Splits happen for 2 reasons, either everything is great, or everything is not good enough. Propagation, or surival.

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Splits happen for 2 reasons, either everything is great, or everything is not good enough. Propagation, or surival.
True but generally if have a healthy reef it's because they're happy. Let's be optimistic here. :grimacing-face:

As for Percs and most of their morphs in bubble tips. They've never failed to host for me in the last 20 years.

BTAP.jpg

garygb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Skunk clowns and 1 other type that I can't remember the name. looks like nemo but isn't.... I have to look up the name. I just forget
Skunks often wind up going with BTAs, even though they are not naturally found together. I have orange skunks and although they prefer my H. crispa, which is a natural host for that species, they will often go in my BTAs, which is not a natural host for orange skunks. I must say, they prefer the crispa, but BTAs are not a bad second choice.
Nemo was an ocellaris, and magnificas, giganteas, and merten's anemone are the natural hosts for that species, but it might eventually go in one of your BTAs.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now I am even more confused or it is still in the process of splitting maybe?

1709242564143.png
When mine split, sometimes both nem and daughter shrink for a week. I’d guess the split can be stressful for both and sometimes they shrink and perish, but mostly they pop right back after they recover.
IMG_1626.jpeg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back