BTA Tentacle Coloration & Shrinkage

Cora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our Colorado Sunburst BTA was doing so well in the 32gal tank for about 2 months. We added a rock flower nem about a week ago. This coincided with bumping up the LEDs. PAR readings at the level of the BTA increased from ~80 to 100 over a 2 week period.

Now, the BTA is discolored to a grey-green and many tentacles are no longer swelling in the day. The mouth was open.

We removed the rock flower 2 days ago, thinking this could be a sign of chemical warfare between nems. We dropped the light level just slightly, mostly turned whites down. BTA mouth is now closed. Seems to be eating.

Anything else you’d advise us to do? Parameters have been perfect and stable.

DEE56812-9AB8-4B3F-A7F3-75AAD2C227E4.jpeg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our Colorado Sunburst BTA was doing so well in the 32gal tank for about 2 months. We added a rock flower nem about a week ago. This coincided with bumping up the LEDs. PAR readings at the level of the BTA increased from ~80 to 100 over a 2 week period.

Now, the BTA is discolored to a grey-green and many tentacles are no longer swelling in the day. The mouth was open.

We removed the rock flower 2 days ago, thinking this could be a sign of chemical warfare between nems. We dropped the light level just slightly, mostly turned whites down. BTA mouth is now closed. Seems to be eating.

Did you have any other changes when lights changed? Even seemingly unrelated like add shrimp? Which parameters are you testing, as you don't have details? Perhaps try running active carbon for 6-12 hours if you really think might be chemical warfare.

While every individual is different and every tank setup is different, for years, I've had rock flower anenome living near up to 11 RBTAs without any problems...

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been set up? I feel like lighting and the new nem weren't the cause. Parameters?

OP
OP
C

Cora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 6 months old. Parameters have been stable since the beginning, honestly. Never major swings.

Ammonia, Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10ppm
Phosphate 0.02-0.04
Magnesium 1250
Calcium 430
Alkalinity 8.5

How long has the tank been set up? I feel like lighting and the new nem weren't the cause. Parameters?

OP
OP
C

Cora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have any other changes when lights changed? Even seemingly unrelated like add shrimp? Which parameters are you testing, as you don't have details? Perhaps try running active carbon for 6-12 hours if you really think might be chemical warfare.

While every individual is different and every tank setup is different, for years, I've had rock flower anenome living near up to 11 RBTAs without any problems...
We did add 2 tiger conches and a Montipora SPS fairly recently, as well. I don’t see the snails bothering the nem. Dipped the coral before adding, came from a reputable LFS.

Ammonia, Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10ppm
Phosphate 0.02-0.04
Magnesium 1250
Calcium 430
Alkalinity 8.5

We have a fresh charcoal filter in there and some Chemipure Blue, too.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 months is still a little early for an anemone. I'm in the process of ramping my lights also at almost double the par of yours. I would leave it alone. Don't force feed. Continue with where your lights were at before dropping them. If light was the issue it would simply move.

OP
OP
C

Cora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 months is still a little early for an anemone. I'm in the process of ramping my lights also at almost double the par of yours. I would leave it alone. Don't force feed. Continue with where your lights were at before dropping them. If light was the issue it would simply move.
Okay, thank you. No force feeding, just see that it grabs up a little brine when I feed the fish.

When you say 6 months is early, I wonder why. Are there biologicals or something that are missing? We ensured stable nitrogen compounds before adding and the little fella did so well before adding the other nem. I feel puzzled and hope it bounces back... quite a stunning creature.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, thank you. No force feeding, just see that it grabs up a little brine when I feed the fish.

When you say 6 months is early, I wonder why. Are there biologicals or something that are missing? We ensured stable nitrogen compounds before adding and the little fella did so well before adding the other nem. I feel puzzled and hope it bounces back... quite a stunning creature.
I believe it to be bacterial/micro fauna related I believe if you have live rocks you are good but if started with dry rock then 6-12 months is recommended (not actual science just from expierence/ what I’ve read) I also have about 6 anemones that are very happy but when I added one to my 3 month tank it withered and died slowly for no apparent reason

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

General consensus for nems is wait until the tank is 9 months to a year old. Anemone prefer established systems for some reason or another.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an awful time trying to keep a nem in my first year. I lost 2 and waited until a year and a half to try again. Been successful this time and nothing has changed in my setup.

R&SLreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you have an emerald crab? I had one that was picking at my BTA.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it continues to decline I would suggest doing the cipro treatment ( stickied thread in the forum) because it could be a bacterial issue

OP
OP
C

Cora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an emerald crab? I had one that was picking at my BTA.
We used to have one and got rid of it because it was snacking on our zoas. We do have a couple of hermit crabs, though I haven’t seen them mess with the nem.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We used to have one and got rid of it because it was snacking on our zoas. We do have a couple of hermit crabs, though I haven’t seen them mess with the nem.
Peppermint shrimp eat nems so make sure you don’t have one of those either

OP
OP
C

Cora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it continues to decline I would suggest doing the cipro treatment ( stickied thread in the forum) because it could be a bacterial issue

Oh, thanks for the idea. I will investigate this option more.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No peppermint shrimp. I have one cleaner. I haven’t seen that one mess with the nem, but I’ll keep an eye on it. Thanks
I have both and they only ever try and steal food. Never seen them try to eat my nems

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both and they only ever try and steal food. Never seen them try to eat my nems
You lucky, I bought a peppermint and the next week it tore off a bunch of tentacles from the rbta maybe I had an evil one lol

tamanning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a new story. anemones like a well established tank. I have several friends that have told me the same story having been drawn in by nemo. You may just be a little early.

OP
OP
C

Cora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a new story. anemones like a well established tank. I have several friends that have told me the same story having been drawn in by nemo. You may just be a little early.
Thank you. I feel irresponsible now. I’ll do my best and if all goes to hell, I’ll try again in a year.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back