BTA Tentacle Length???

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the pictures of bubble tip anemones I've seen have long tentacles, but my BTAs have short ones. I feed them bigger chunks of Reef Frenzy every few days, which triggers a great feeding response. Is it normal for BTAs to have short tentacles?

20190228_190648.jpg

20190318_184136 (1).jpg

20190318_184125 (2).jpg

ZsWithTheFishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd been researching this lately due to changes in my anenome. It tentacles shortens considerably lately, but it still doesn't have any "bubbles."

I found this:
https://www.sealifebase.ca/summary/Entacmaea-quadricolor.html

It looks like some have wider mouth bases and longer tentacles, while some shallower species look more like carpet clusters. It also looks like their shape (and presence of bubbles) depends on their environment and the presence of fish.

Mine is on the same feeding schedule as yours and is an aggressive eater. It's also in relatively low light and only had a bonded clown as of a couple weeks ago. This was good enough to me to explain the changes. This was an early pic after being added to the tank, note the spindly tentacles:

IMG_20190303_233803_515.jpg

U

User1

View Badges
Well I can say that the 11 I have all do what they want when they want and it is always a mystery. They go long, they shrink to the size of a dime, then later have bubble tips. All at different times and for the longest time I was chasing my water and tank chemistry to figure it out. Then I gave up.

OP
OP
ThePurple12

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd been researching this lately due to changes in my anenome. It tentacles shortens considerably lately, but it still doesn't have any "bubbles."

I found this:
https://www.sealifebase.ca/summary/Entacmaea-quadricolor.html

It looks like some have wider mouth bases and longer tentacles, while some shallower species look more like carpet clusters. It also looks like their shape (and presence of bubbles) depends on their environment and the presence of fish.

Mine is on the same feeding schedule as yours and is an aggressive eater. It's also in relatively low light and only had a bonded clown as of a couple weeks ago. This was good enough to me to explain the changes. This was an early pic after being added to the tank, note the spindly tentacles:

IMG_20190303_233803_515.jpg
So if there's a clownfish hosting in the BTA, it will have short/bubbly tentacles? Has anyone else noticed this?

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if there's a clownfish hosting in the BTA, it will have short/bubbly tentacles? Has anyone else noticed this?
We have approximately 17 in our 2 tanks, clowns do not seem to make a difference. They all act different at different times. One will bubble while another stretches out.

raviverman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my bta for about 6 months and my clowns have hosted it since first day. The tentacles are mostly short, not stubby, and have had bubble tips. Except for when they shrink into a tiny blob. I've had the same question for a while now.
IMG_20200325_171822_85.jpg

jreefier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have approximately 17 in our 2 tanks, clowns do not seem to make a difference. They all act different at different times. One will bubble while another stretches out.
This is my experience as well. I have 8. Some have bubbles and long even on the same anemone. Did notice all started bubbling within a few days of a 50% water change following the spontaneous combustion of my frogspawn. OP anemone looks good.
IMG_0495.JPG

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 31.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 58 27.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back