BTA weird position on a ornament.

DomainExpansionReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, My BTA is a recent addition. Tank Parameters are optimal and he has moved once now to this spot. I think the flow was too much the first time and he moved to where you seem him now. He seems to be spread over this ornament that my wife really wanted, much to my dismay. Is it normal for them to place themselves on something more artificial like this. It almost looks like it is trying to split which I know can be a good or bad thing. It seems to be looking nice and has not been shriveled up. I have not seen a lot of pictures with them in a precarious position like this on something so artificial and jagged. Thank you for your thoughts, I'am new here so please forgive any formatting issues.
IMG_20240430_065418526.jpg
IMG_20240430_065426851_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240430_065450991.jpg
IMG_20240430_065357646.jpg
IMG_20240430_065351135.jpg

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably won't get much advice on the ornament (unless people tell you to remove it ;)) as its not common practice to use fake decor in reef tanks. The nem looks healthy and will decide where it wants to be. If it isn't attached to the decoration I would remove the decoration and wait till the nem settles then put the decoration back in if you must keep it. Ideal parameters really isn't helpful and actual test results are needed when help is requested.
Since the nem looks ok all I would do is leave it be until it settles into a spot. Also make sure you have sufficient lighting. Nems need light and do not require feeding other than sufficient light. What type of lighting do you have and do you have any idea how much par the nem is getting?

EDIT It does look like it may be splitting. I've had this happen overnight after adding to the tank. It can happen anything tho stress seems to be a possible cause. I went from 3 nems to almost 50 at one point due to splits. I haven't had a split in years so I think tank maturity plays a part but that's speculation.

OP
OP
D

DomainExpansionReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably won't get much advice on the ornament (unless people tell you to remove it ;)) as its not common practice to use fake decor in reef tanks. The nem looks healthy and will decide where it wants to be. If it isn't attached to the decoration I would remove the decoration and wait till the nem settles then put the decoration back in if you must keep it. Ideal parameters really isn't helpful and actual test results are needed when help is requested.
Since the nem looks ok all I would do is leave it be until it settles into a spot. Also make sure you have sufficient lighting. Nems need light and do not require feeding other than sufficient light. What type of lighting do you have and do you have any idea how much par the nem is getting?

EDIT It does look like it may be splitting. I've had this happen overnight after adding to the tank. It can happen anything tho stress seems to be a possible cause. I went from 3 nems to almost 50 at one point due to splits. I haven't had a split in years so I think tank maturity plays a part but that's speculation.

Thank you for your advice, it was honestly just a placeholder for color, I hate it. I have real coral and it was a temporary aesthetic fix for my wife. I did intend on moving it. I think the scope of my question was more relating to the ornament itself, I did do water test last night but currently at work. I have a aquanest m8 and its running on the default timer. I have had so many recommendations on a light cycle/ par that it is a bit overwhelming to be honest.

OP
OP
D

DomainExpansionReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look like it's splitting.

The ornament will get full of gunk in short order anyway. Does she really like it that much?
I would pull it out after it splits.
Yes, I told her it would be an algae magnet. Executive decision incoming and If it does move off of it I will remove it.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I told her it would be an algae magnet. Executive decision incoming and If it does move off of it I will remove it.
It's all about compromise sometimes. I added a vlamingi tang because it's the only livestock my Gal ever said she would like to have in 30 years of keeping aquariums. Of course it was the first fish to die in a velvet outbreak a few years back. I have a juvinile growing out in my new build for her. It keeps her interested which makes the hobby more fun for me.

OP
OP
D

DomainExpansionReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all about compromise sometimes. I added a vlamingi tang because it's the only livestock my Gal ever said she would like to have in 30 years of keeping aquariums. Of course it was the first fish to die in a velvet outbreak a few years back. I have a juvinile growing out in my new build for her. It keeps her interested which makes the hobby more fun for me.
Completely understand she enjoys the hobby with me which is why I want to let her have some input, but honestly in my older saltwater tanks the artificial ornament was a bit taboo and I would never have done it, probably could have explained it better to her initially but hey that dang hindsight is always a perfect 20/20,

OP
OP
D

DomainExpansionReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little update it did in fact split, my wife sent me the video from the house. It almost looks like the piece closer to the artificial fan is attempting to split also? Hoping it is for the best. Interesting it has attached to the glass. Such amazing lifeform.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little update it did in fact split, my wife sent me the video from the house. It almost looks like the piece closer to the artificial fan is attempting to split also? Hoping it is for the best. Interesting it has attached to the glass. Such amazing lifeform.

Cool!
Make sure it doesn't walk into a powerhead!

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones go where they want do what they want and you have to adjust to it. My BTA is huge and continues to grow. It hasn't split , it just keeps getting bigger. So much so I've had to move 3 different acros to keep them alive because BTAs will sting them and eventually the corals will die.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 21.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 107 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back