OP
OP
btmedic04

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great! I have to get back into updating my build thread and checking out everyone else’s...

Definitely bud! Id love to see how your tank is doing! I ended up taking the intank fuge and chaeto out of my nuvo 10. I was only growing film and hair algae and getting bits of chaeto stuck in my return. My nuvo 10 has 10-12 nitrates compared to ~4 in my nuvo 20 but they're being manage with water changes and none of the corals in there are overly sensitive to those levels

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will update this weekend. Short story is it’s doing incredibly well. I think the InTank fuges are better in theory than practice with the Nuvo 10’s. Too much flow velocity when you have an upgraded pump.

I like the Tunze 9001 in that slot now. Keeping Nitrates around 3ppm and PO4 around .02 ppm. I have serveral SPS and an Acro that is actually showing noticeable growth.

Glad to see your tank is looking great too!

OP
OP
btmedic04

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will update this weekend. Short story is it’s doing incredibly well. I think the InTank fuges are better in theory than practice with the Nuvo 10’s. Too much flow velocity when you have an upgraded pump.

I like the Tunze 9001 in that slot now. Keeping Nitrates around 3ppm and PO4 around .02 ppm. I have serveral SPS and an Acro that is actually showing noticeable growth.

Glad to see your tank is looking great too!

That's awesome to hear! Yeah, the intank fuge baskets need a modification. I ended up taking 1/8" plastic mesh that I had left over from making my nuvo 20 screen that I used and it worked well, but by that time the other algaes had taken over and my chaeto wasn't long for this world. I currently have no choice but to run skimmerless as I picked up a radion xr15 and rms mount for it and the mount more or less blocks that center chamber. I just ended up putting my heater and some marine pure spheres in there. I went with another xr15 because I have plans to upgrade both tanks to a red sea reefer 250 down the road

OP
OP
btmedic04

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was away from home for 3 days and came home to everything still plugging along just fine. Fish were a little hungry and my alkalinity dropped from ~9.1 to 6.8 so I decided it was time to get some automatic dosing going on. It's going to be nice not manually dosing every day! I have my Tropic Marin all for reef numbers dialed in for my nuvo 10 (2ml a day) and almost dialed in for my nuvo 20 (currently at 4ml.) Alk dropped from ~9.0 to 8.5 over a 3 day period so I think 5ml should do it.

20190504_165909.jpg

OP
OP
btmedic04

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to my LFS for some Larry's reef frenzy nano and also walked out with a neon green acro. Acro's have always scared me with how difficult folks say they are to keep and the only way to get over that is to try it out.

20190505_173210.jpg

Res_Ipsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure it is getting enough light down there. I bought some aquacultured acros and they were fine going up higher into brighter light. One started losing tissue due to low light on the sandbed.

OP
OP
btmedic04

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure it is getting enough light down there. I bought some aquacultured acros and they were fine going up higher into brighter light. One started losing tissue due to low light on the sandbed.

I placed it down there Sunday night just to acclimate to my tank. Should I move it now or stick to my week on the sand bed plan? Heres a pic of it the next day

20190506_103539.jpg

OP
OP
btmedic04

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres my weekly update with current FTS of each tank. The nuvo 20 is 6 months old, and the nuvo 10 is 4 months old. I've got my dosing dialed in and I've even found pineapple sponges in the back of my 20. I'm debating picking up an mp10wqd for my nuvo 10 as the sicce nano voyager 250 is a bit much and really makes my frogspawn angry. I also picked up a couple more zoanthids to fill in some spots on the right rock island in my 20. On is a magician and I dont know the name of the other. Also I have begun to slowly ramp my lighting intensity up. Last week I was at 40%, this week I'm at 45%. I run the sps phx14 preset from 9am to 9pm with lunar phases enabled and set to end at 11pm. Next week I'm going to bump it up to 50%

As always, let me know your thoughts on improvements!

20190512_224118.jpg

20190514_202319.jpg

20190514_202427.jpg

20190514_202444.jpg

20190514_202514.jpg

20190514_202537.jpg

20190514_202613.jpg

20190514_202640.jpg

kamla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of Q's for you?

1) How do u use polyplab coral view lens? when i use it with my iphone it can never focus :(
2) How to you like your doser? pros \cons?
3) how are liking Tropic Marin all for reef , seems a easier then 2 part.. 1 dosing pump :)

4) when will you be ready to send me frags :) j/k

Thax
Kamla

Last edited:
OP
OP
btmedic04

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of Q's for you?

1) How do u use polyplab coral view lens? when i use it with my iphone it can never focus :(
2) How to you like your doser? pros \cons?
3) how are liking Tropic Marin all for reef , seems a easier then 2 part.. 1 dosing pump :)

4) when will you be ready to send me frags :) j/k

Thax
Kamla

1. I clean my phones camera lense before I put the polyplab lense on. I also found that if I had a thick phone case on, things could get wonky with taking pics. I put the camera into position and tap the screen where I want to focus. Sometimes I have to angle my camera down because the lense will catch the light and put a reflection on the glass.

2. I really like the coralbox wf-01 dosers I put on both tanks. They were very easy to set up with the app on my phone and they are quite small. Making adjustments are simple in the app. Things I didnt like are there is not enough tubing in the package and you will need to buy more from reefbreeders.com. I bought 2 upgraded check valves and have them inline, however I'm getting some bubbles in the airline. I attribute this to the units still breaking in and the small amounts dosed ( 3.5ml and 1.5ml) it's easy to flush the lines every couple of days.

3. I like the tropic marin all for reef. I didnt notice any ph drop and it keeps my parameters stable. I found that dosing in the morning 2 hours before lights on to be the best time to maintain stability with my alk. If I dosed at night, there was no uptake and my alk would be quite a bit higher in the morning. You do need to take into consideration that it takes time for the bacteria to break the all for reef down into the respective elements.

4. I'd be more than happy to send some frags when things grow in. I live in north east Ohio. Where are you located?

kamla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I clean my phones camera lense before I put the polyplab lense on. I also found that if I had a thick phone case on, things could get wonky with taking pics. I put the camera into position and tap the screen where I want to focus. Sometimes I have to angle my camera down because the lense will catch the light and put a reflection on the glass.

2. I really like the coralbox wf-01 dosers I put on both tanks. They were very easy to set up with the app on my phone and they are quite small. Making adjustments are simple in the app. Things I didnt like are there is not enough tubing in the package and you will need to buy more from reefbreeders.com. I bought 2 upgraded check valves and have them inline, however I'm getting some bubbles in the airline. I attribute this to the units still breaking in and the small amounts dosed ( 3.5ml and 1.5ml) it's easy to flush the lines every couple of days.

3. I like the tropic marin all for reef. I didnt notice any ph drop and it keeps my parameters stable. I found that dosing in the morning 2 hours before lights on to be the best time to maintain stability with my alk. If I dosed at night, there was no uptake and my alk would be quite a bit higher in the morning. You do need to take into consideration that it takes time for the bacteria to break the all for reef down into the respective elements.

4. I'd be more than happy to send some frags when things grow in. I live in north east Ohio. Where are you located?

Thax this was very helpful..

BTW i was kidding about the frgs :) I am ain NJ

Anthony Danta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the fish guards fix the snail/ato issue I just set up a nuvo40 and for the past week I’ve been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why my water level drops and my ato kicks on and then 4 minutes later bam water rises and high water alarm goes off....literally 15 min ago a light bulb went off in my head and caught the issue while watching the tank then came across your posts so I’m curious if those guards work because boy am I tired of this dang alarm at 4 in the morning lol

OP
OP
btmedic04

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the fish guards fix the snail/ato issue I just set up a nuvo40 and for the past week I’ve been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why my water level drops and my ato kicks on and then 4 minutes later bam water rises and high water alarm goes off....literally 15 min ago a light bulb went off in my head and caught the issue while watching the tank then came across your posts so I’m curious if those guards work because boy am I tired of this dang alarm at 4 in the morning lol

They fixed the issue for me. I haven't had an ATO alarm go off since! The only thing I didn't like was the surface skimming was reduced, but if you check out post #76 on page 4 of this thread, I have a picture of the modification that I made and it has worked perfectly.

Its been a while since my last update, but expect one here in the near future!

Anthony Danta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the guards work? Won’t the snails just block the water from entering the guard area and still mess with water level?

Anthony Danta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So
They fixed the issue for me. I haven't had an ATO alarm go off since! The only thing I didn't like was the surface skimming was reduced, but if you check out post #76 on page 4 of this thread, I have a picture of the modification that I made and it has worked perfectly.

Its been a while since my last update, but expect one here in the near future!

Sorry for the double post stupid phone lol and what do you mean by surface skimming? I have a skimmer in the back chamber sorry if that’s a stupid question still relatively new to all this lol

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 31.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 22.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 15 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back