Bubble algae help

Mole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried the pick and siphon and emerald crab methods and pulling the rock isn't an option. Is the only other choice a rabbit fish?

Last edited:

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen a Rabbit Fish eat Bubble Algae.

OP
OP
Mole

Mole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hrmmmmm... any other suggestions then? I'm just a little leery about adding a tang as I've already been through one bout of ich about a year ago and I'm not particularly excited about voluntarily subjecting my other fish to it again.

Here's where I found out about the rabbit fish;

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-02/hcj/feature/
"Herbivorous fish like certain Acanthurids and Siganids are touted as controls on bubble algae. Some surgeonfishes of Genus Zebrasoma are particularly promoted, for they do tuck into the little green marbles (especially if there is little other fodder), and do not grow especially large. However, surgeonfishes are often too delicate for the beginner -often the very sort of hobbyist with serious algae problems in hand. The rabbitfishes are not quite as disease-prone as their close kin, but make up for it with handling risks (weakly-venomous dorsal spines). Then there is THE issue of appropriate tank-size. The vast majority of 'surgeons' and 'rabbits' tend to be semi-pelagic schoolers, used to vast patrol-areas, and are noted for territorial meanness and stress in the confines of a small glass box with others of their kind. One authority, holding forth in cyberspace on the subject of reef tank herbivores, suggested a rough stocking guide of 150 liters (40 US gallons) aquarium volume to a surgeonfish, and at least 300 liters (80 US gallons) to a rabbitfish. These estimates must have been made with a small solitary fish in mind, rather than meant as a tank-size estimator for housing several, else the issue of territoriality was disregarded."

http://www.reefcleaners.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54&Itemid=60
"Clean Up Crew - Emerald and Ruby Crabs will eat it, as well as certain Rabbitfish. Juvenile Emeralds are better for the task, the smaller the better. Get one per handful amount of bubble algae."

http://www.fishlore.com/bubblealgae.htm
"Getting Rid of Bubble Algae
So what do you do when see this stuff in your tank? You have a few options:
  • Make sure your water parameters are in line, i.e. 0 nitrates and very low levels of phosphates. Run a protein skimmer if you're not already and keep up with those regular partial water changes.
  • Manual Removal - very carefully grab the bubble algae towards the base and use a gentle pulling and twisting motion to free it from the rock without breaking the bubble. Ventricaria ventricosa feels like large rubber marbles and they can burst thereby releasing thousands of new bubble algae cells into your tank. If they've already burst remove the bubble sack anyway. Don't let them get too big or you run the risk of them releasing the spores before you can remove them. Keep the upper hand here.
  • The Emerald Crab is reported to eat bubble algae, which variety we don't know. They didn't touch Ventricaria ventricosa it in our tanks. Perhaps it's not the first thing they are interested in consuming. If there is plenty of other stuff in the tank for them to eat you are out of luck.
  • Rabbitfish and some Tangs may eat them. I've noticed our Yellow Tang nibbling at the deflated bubble sacs but not going after the growing bubbles.
  • Some species of sea urchins (Diadema) may eat bubble algae. They may wreak havoc on your rock work and coralline algae too though."

Last edited:

jokervueboi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grabbed 4 emerald crabs. 1 out of the 4 emerald actually does any work. Most of my bubble on the bottom rocks are all gone. I also got a algae scrubber too! I hope it stays like that instead of coming back with a giant boom and my whole tank is just bubble algae.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back