Bubble coral?

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is bubble coral as hard people say they are? I want one. My tank is lps dominant. But people keep telling me how they die randomly, and should be voided? I found one small 2-3” when open. Aqua cultured. Should i bother?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is bubble coral as hard people say they are? I want one. My tank is lps dominant. But people keep telling me how they die randomly, and should be voided? I found one small 2-3” when open. Aqua cultured. Should i bother?
I've had my bubble coral for over 6 years. It was about 3 inches or so when I bought it. I don't remember how many heads it had when I got. It has too many to count now and is about the size of a soccer ball when fully inflated.
I've had all kinds of coral die randomly with unexplained deaths. I look at buying coral like playing the lottery. If I can't afford to toss the money in the trash and still pay all of my bills then I can't afford to buy the coral. I bought a green bubble coral once and placed it in the tank a few inches from this one. It did fine for a month or so then died while this one thrived. I quit trying to figure some of the stuff out in this hobby and just roll with things sometimes. 20231005_154005.jpg

Last edited:

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they release a ton of toxins in the water if bothered or feel threatened
They have some long sweepers with a powerful sting. I've never heard anything about them releasing toxins. Can you elaborate?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haia beautiful white one for years over a decade ago, loved it but after not that long of time I had to banish it to the back corner of the tank due to those nasty sweeper tentacles. I really couldn’t appreciate it. Not on my list now but if I ever do a large upgrade where I can have one safely front and center I might revisit it.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have room and money then buy it and watch it grow, or die? I've had good luck with them and do not find them to be more fragile than other LPS. How it does in your set up is an unknown until you try.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard the aquacultured ones are actually more challenging than the wild-caught ones due to the way they cut it. Though I'm not sure...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back