Bubble Coral

Udntcre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. My bubble coral doesn’t look like it’s doing to well. Any advice would be great.
31E1F957-F854-4A83-A373-3C7B874ACBB2.jpeg

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if he's retracted, check excessive flow, then water params

OP
OP
U

Udntcre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a Biocube 16. When I got the coral it was a vibrant bold pink, now it's dull and just not responding well. I'm new to the hobby and can't afford a full master test kit. Is there anything particular I should look for first?

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok this is frustrating. What lights are you using? How old is your tank? Bubble corals are sensitive to flow, what are you using for flow? It looks like it's on the substrate, if it's losing color, are you able to put it in a place with a slight shadow? (This is what I have done for my bubble because I had too much light and or flow)

It looks like you have heavy white...blue (uv really) is the most important spectrum for coral..again what lights?

OP
OP
U

Udntcre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hincapiej4 am I being frustrating?

It's the standard lights that come with the Biocube. Tank been running for about 2 months now. I have a random flow generator no extra circulation. It's in a shadowy place now.

I took the heavy white for everyone to get a view I normally have the blues on.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutrients would help. Knowing your nitrates and phosphates will aid on giving a more definitive answer.

I suspect this is a classic case of getting a coral and hoping for the best. If you dont have a way to test with a test kit, then the foundation in which makes you successful crumbles.

Color relies on so many factors light, nutrients, flow, tank maturity etc. You have to start eliminating them to figure out what it could possibly be.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well your bubble coral doesn't look like it is at death's door, so that's good right! The bubbles are all bubbled. It honestly looks pretty good in your photo. I didn't know there were pink bubble corals - now I want one LOL.

So many different factors affect color. It could be your light spectrum or something in your chemistry or a combination of the above. It might just need time to adjust to your tank.

If I understand/remember correctly, the biocube programming is pretty limited. I think they give off enough PAR - mine seemed to - but the spectrum is very white. Can you adjust it at all?

What else is in the tank and how is it doing? It almost looks like you have a nem behind and to the right of the bubble coral. If it is a 'nem and it is getting enough light, the bubble coral surely is getting enough or possibly too much.

Also, save up for some good test kits. Chemistry will affect color, but you won't know if you can't test. In the meantime your coral doesn't look all that bad.

OP
OP
U

Udntcre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CindyKz I was kind of forced into this hobby. I'm loving every inch of it thus far. The tank was given to me by someone moving out of their unit in my building.

This pandemic has limited me from a lot of things. I'm moving towards saving and getting things for it. I'm excited to get things going though.

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic doesn't look too bad. Sometimes they will be a little bleached when purchased, but regain the zooxanthella and change brownish. Mine was a nice pearly white when purchased, but is now more brownish when they regain their health. Its also twice as big. Mine benefits from feeding mysis as well. Lots of variable you don't know. Get some salifert test kits for alkalinity, calcium and magnesium. They are only about $20 each. Good luck!!!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back