Bubble king mini 160 AC overkill for 60g cube

camps23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in search for the quietest skimmer possible. After research and some great tips from a thread on here I was going to purchase the Nyos quantum 120 but found a local reefer selling the mini 160. It’s quiet ! After watching BRS review they say to undersized the BK skimmers because they work so good your system needs to be able to produce enough “junk” for them to be effective ? Website says 53-132g

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been in search for the quietest skimmer possible. After research and some great tips from a thread on here I was going to purchase the Nyos quantum 120 but found a local reefer selling the mini 160. It’s quiet ! After watching BRS review they say to undersized the BK skimmers because they work so good your system needs to be able to produce enough “junk” for them to be effective ? Website says 53-132g
I think I saw that video - How big exactly is your tank? Additionally - what are you planning on keeping in it? All of these issues will help determine which one is best. But - they were quite clear - that if you don't have enough material - it will be difficult to get effective skimming due to the diameter of the cone. Without knowing exactly the size and type off tank you want to have - I would probably go with your initial 'gut' feeling and get the 120?

OP
OP
C

camps23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I saw that video - How big exactly is your tank? Additionally - what are you planning on keeping in it? All of these issues will help determine which one is best. But - they were quite clear - that if you don't have enough material - it will be difficult to get effective skimming due to the diameter of the cone. Without knowing exactly the size and type off tank you want to have - I would probably go with your initial 'gut' feeling and get the 120?
I have a 60g cube and the plans are LPS dominant tank. I’m a fish guy so I would plan to be on the heavy side when it comes to stocking it. I guess plan would be to fill it to keep skimmer happy. 60g is technically inside the specs of the skimmer but like I mentioned was wondering after watching BRS video. The nyos new would be same cost as BK used. It is in fantastic condition though.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 60g cube and the plans are LPS dominant tank. I’m a fish guy so I would plan to be on the heavy side when it comes to stocking it. I guess plan would be to fill it to keep skimmer happy. 60g is technically inside the specs of the skimmer but like I mentioned was wondering after watching BRS video. The nyos new would be same cost as BK used. It is in fantastic condition though.
Well - the BRS video was specifically discussing the BK skimmers - not Nyos. So - I'm not sure you can totally extrapolate from that video. I guess I have 2 suggestions - 1. Choose the brand you like. 2. Contact the manufacturer and ask which size is best for your specific application. Truth be told - its all an estimate (including the BRS video). Frankly - I don't understand why a company would publish a certain 'range' for a given skimmer but then say 'oh - by the way it might be best to use the next smaller unit'. There were certain things I liked about the skimmers discussed in the video - BUT - there were also things that seemed to be a little 'hyped' - i.e. the 'German pump'. etc. Good luck with your choice.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back