Bubble-like algae spreading over the live rock

Gaoweihd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They didn't catch my eyes until today, and they're all over the rock now. What are than and what can I do to get rid of them?

IMG_0009.JPG IMG_0010.JPG

ReefDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble algea unfortunately, you can add emerald crabs to help, you can also carefully remove it yourself.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've had good luck scraping it off and keeping it at bay. Kind of like aiptasia, you have to get it before it takes over. If it's too far gone, vibrant may be an option.

OP
OP
Gaoweihd

Gaoweihd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dealt with aiptasia problem one month ago lol. Ok good to know the name of this algae. I'll take out the rock and remove them manully. Thank!!!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought and handful of hermits and dosed Vibrant for a few months and cannot find any bubble now. Can't say which did the trick but if I had to put money on it i would say the emeralds.

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald crabs are your friend when it comes to bubble algae. Keeping your corals in place not so much. Love hate relationship with them. :)

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, too many threads saying emerald crabs went rogue and accidentally popping them in the tank means bubble algae everywhere.

There's no accidental popping them. They eat it. So yes it's gonna pop. But you keep a few crabs you'll never see it because they will keep it mowed down just like tangs or other fish mow down green hair algae.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go get yourself a bottle of vibrant, dose twice a week for a couple weeks, and watch it disappear. Skip the crabs, skip the manual removal, vibrant is the only thing that actually worked and eradicated them for me.
+1 for vibrant and it will rid the tank of other algae as well. Be patient takes a few weeks at least

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no accidental popping them. They eat it. So yes it's gonna pop. But you keep a few crabs you'll never see it because they will keep it mowed down just like tangs or other fish mow down green hair algae.
I'm referring to removing the bubbles in the tank. But thank you for the response, lol. Too many threads regarding emerald crabs for me to suggest.

Back