Bubble Magus Curve 9 Unbearably Loud

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I am in the process of setting up my Reefer 450 and have a new Bubble Magus Curve 9. My Reefer is dead silent to the point you can't tell it's running unless you put your head next to it. I have been trying to get my BM skimmer to break in and was hopeful it would quiet down. After running for a few days and annoying everyone in the house it is unbearably loud and has a nasty humming that will not stop. I have tried everything and can't imagine that anyone would tolerate this noise or that Bubble Magus would release a product this loud. If anyone has any tips or suggestions beyond getting another skimmer please let me know. Unfortunately this skimmer is new but was purchased by a previous owner some time ago so a refund or exchange is not possible. Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Any suggestions for a quieter pump are also welcome. A nice DC pump would be great as they are incredibly quiet. Thanks!

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
take it apart and inspect the impeller. check for cracks, chips and swelling. other than a breaking in period, it should be very silent. also make sure you’re running the correct water depth for it.

OP
OP
incloud design

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
take it apart and inspect the impeller. check for cracks, chips and swelling. other than a breaking in period, it should be very silent. also make sure you’re running the correct water depth for it.

I'll take it apart but sad that it would have to be rebuilt when it was never used. Would you happen to know of where to get a replacement impeller for the SP4000 or even how to use a different pump with the Bubble Magus? I'm not sure what pumps would work without modification but I've had an excellent experience with Jebao pumps and they are completely silent at a low price.

scurvy dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I am in the process of setting up my Reefer 450 and have a new Bubble Magus Curve 9. My Reefer is dead silent to the point you can't tell it's running unless you put your head next to it. I have been trying to get my BM skimmer to break in and was hopeful it would quiet down. After running for a few days and annoying everyone in the house it is unbearably loud and has a nasty humming that will not stop. I have tried everything and can't imagine that anyone would tolerate this noise or that Bubble Magus would release a product this loud. If anyone has any tips or suggestions beyond getting another skimmer please let me know. Unfortunately this skimmer is new but was purchased by a previous owner some time ago so a refund or exchange is not possible. Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Any suggestions for a quieter pump are also welcome. A nice DC pump would be great as they are incredibly quiet. Thanks!
Not sure where your sound is coming from, but on my BM Curve 5, I was not happy with the noise it was making. I ended up connecting a hose from the muffler out the back of my stand. Now it is dead silent.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is something wrong or is it the air going into skimmer that you hear?

OP
OP
incloud design

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where your sound is coming from, but on my BM Curve 5, I was not happy with the noise it was making. I ended up connecting a hose from the muffler out the back of my stand. Now it is dead silent.

It's the pump for sure. Nothing apparent wrong with the impeller.

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If need be BM sells skimmer pumps . My curve 5 is very quiet. I'd have to stick my head in the sump to hear it .

RyanHoan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this. I just turned on my brand new Curve 7 and it's literally as loud as a vacuum cleaner. What the heck!

I'll take it apart tonight to see if the fixes anything

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 164 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 92 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.3%
Back