Bubble Magus Dosing Pump Question??

toyencounters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 34 gallon Solana about 3 years old. I had manually dosed for about 30 months everything was top notch levels,corals,fish,etc. I decided to get a magus dosing pump about 4 months ago its been a nightmare trying to keeps the levels right and my corals dont look as good anymore! Any imput on these dosers??

Tequilero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 34 gallon Solana about 3 years old. I had manually dosed for about 30 months everything was top notch levels,corals,fish,etc. I decided to get a magus dosing pump about 4 months ago its been a nightmare trying to keeps the levels right and my corals dont look as good anymore! Any imput on these dosers??

Since you dosed manually you should be able to eyeball:

use an erasable marker on the side of the gallon to make sure its dosing the amount you want in one 24 hour period.
Also are you testing alk and calcium to fine tune?

You must measure the cups of powder perfectly, every time you set up a new gallon.

Lytehouse

just havin' fun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need more specifics about how you have it set up to dose....

Also, how did you arrive at the amount you are dosing

I've used one for quite a while and love it. Like anything else, it takes some tweaking to get the levels right.

OP
OP
toyencounters

toyencounters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have done everything perfect and the doser works well. I noticed the levels keep going up after awhile.

OP
OP
toyencounters

toyencounters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that but its hard for me to get the levels right. Maybe its just the size of my tank levels fluctuate easier??

Tequilero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah try lowering by 5-10ml per day. It's going to take a lot of testing. Also do you test at the same time during the day or night? You can get mixed results. I test when I get home at 6pm 2 times a week at minimum for calcium and alk. Even when things are looking okay.

Lately my alk has been dropping which is odd. Had to raise it by 10 ml per day.

Is your ph fluctuating a lot?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes are prolly messing you up... That's why I don't change my water haha.... Every time you change your water you throw it all out whack!!!! What salt you using???? If it's coral life that would make sense it's calcium is super high 550 iirc

Tequilero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Agree to disagree. If you add new salt water to your existing Old tank water that has been buffered to tank parameters then it is not likely anything would be outta whack.

Now if you just check salinity and temp like a lot of folks. You are definitely setting yourself up for many mistakes and maybe even mini disasters.
Always check make up water to your old water.

If you have a ph probe that helps to match that too.

A lot of steps to do things right, that's for sure.

Tequilero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have a point! I never thought about checking my pre mixed saltwater I buy at my lfs!!

Yep even then. Lfs can have error in make up water an it happens often.

Checked my Lfs's salt water at the beginning of my reefing addiction, 2.5 years ago when I was green. It was triggered by a thread on RC about someone testing out theirs and it was real off. First thing they noticed was the salinity was off and that had sparked the interest in checking the rest.

I Still remember that my lfs make up water was low (I did let them know) it was low on calcium, magnesium and the alk was in the low 7's.

Checked their "RODI" 47. (also let them know).

So checking any water you add to an overly guarded glass box is always good practice.

And I think absolutely necessary if you run Sps heavy tanks.

Tequilero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please post current tank parameters including phosphate and nitrate if you can. Alk, Cal, and magnesium most importantly.

Also there must be instructions to your 2 part for correct mathematical formula for addition. If you can post what it says, maybe we can help you out.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
being to high could be the water changes.... check the params on corallife salt the calcium is 550 the mag is way up there also... changing water would make it rise because you tank runs below the stock params of some salts..... i always cut my salt when i use coral life i mix it 50/50 with io. or something else to cure that problem.... i love coral life myself but the calcium is way high over time it will make your tank creep up real high...... let us know what you find.. maybe even ask what salt there using, there is charts every where with the values then you could figure it all out and balance it....hth

OP
OP
toyencounters

toyencounters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok! The salt used by my LFS is H2 Ocean Pro + made in Israel. I tested the water this morning from my LFS Ph 8.4,Calcium 370,Magnesium 1305,DKH 9.3,Salt 1025! I will test my tank water as soon as the lights come on. The funny thing my son has the same tank same dosing pump parameters are also sky high we use the same LFS water!!!

Y-Diver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the BM on my 29 BC. I had my dosing levels perfect with it...except after water changes all levels would be slightly high so I would take the tubes out for one or two doses(this will depend onthe frequency and amount of each of your doses)

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back