Bubble Magus Filter Roll Gen2

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't buy one. There was a problem with the rolls for a while that they wouldn't admit to. I don't know if it was corrected or not, it's been a while ago. I had to remove mine and go back to a filter sock. Either they had a problem with the micron level being too small, or they were applying a coating to the roll, that caused it to barely flow any water. I tried to reach out and was ignored.

Upvote 0

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I've been running a Gen 1 for around 2 years and it's been spot on. I did have a few rolls of the filter material that filled up crazy fast (which could be what the previous commenter was referring to), but my most recent couple of rolls are lasting/flowing like they should. So I'm quite happy with it.

I am looking at maybe getting the Gen2 primarily to get rid of the "absurdly large" motor that's on the Gen 1, which for me, is a pain to take off when swapping out rolls of filter material (only that darn screw next to the mount....my fat fingers don't fit well and using a screw driver means I'll likely be fishing it out of the sump when it falls out! haha!)

Upvote 0

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I’ve been running the gen 2 for about three weeks now and it works well. My water is clear. It runs silent….just make sure to have a gate valve between the overflow and filter to dial it in. The input pipe connection is American sized, so easy to connect. The build quality is good.
Putting it together is a little tedious but not bad. Pay attention to the instructions. It does not come with the hose.
24EE69D3-B907-41D7-B9B9-51A6A5877B23.jpeg

Upvote 0

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I’ve been running the gen 2 for about three weeks now and it works well. My water is clear. It runs silent….just make sure to have a gate valve between the overflow and filter to dial it in. The input pipe connection is American sized, so easy to connect. The build quality is good.
Putting it together is a little tedious but not bad. Pay attention to the instructions. It does not come with the hose.
Wow- that is one clean sump!

Upvote 0

enorl76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what were the G2 fixes over the G1?

The biggest annoyance I have is the roll running out and not having any notice for a few days.

Plus, extracting the drive shaft was always difficult to extract it from the old roll.

Upvote 0

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll bet you could find a way to run the power through a limit switch that will shut the unit down when the roll on the used side gets large enough to bump it or an optical switch on the clean side that will shut off power when the last part of the roll is pulled through it.
Granted they won't alert you but it'll at least stop the roller while there's still some filter material left.

Upvote 0

Jorge Sanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for feedback from users that are using this Gen2 Bubble Magus Roller Filter B4 I purchase. How do you like it?
Pro & Cons

I recently bought the bubble magus L model, to replace my old sock system. The first thing I can say is that I found it very easy to install the filter and with a lot of flexibility to position both the feed hose and the roll control motor. On the other hand, I am very satisfied with the performance of the team. Since using the first roll I have noticed an increase in AP value, from the usual 8 - 8.1 range it has moved to the 8.1 - 8.2 range. I make this relationship to the PH because it is the only change I have made to my system. Previously I changed the sock 2 times a week.
I highly recommend this device. We'll see how long it lasts

Upvote 0

docjanray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advise! Just installed mine today and its alot easier to dail in the overflow using ball valve since we dont have available gate valve in our area.

Attachments

• 20221022_161645.jpg
    20221022_161645.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 378
Upvote 0

Jorge Sanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I, after reviewing various reviews on roll filters, recently decided on the Bubble Magus V2 large version.
The objective was to eliminate the use of socks, in which I must admit that I did not have an efficient changing routine. The typical frequency of sock exchange was once a week and the sump only had one sock.

The first notable thing about Bubble Magus is that the device comes completely disassembled, but for those like me, who enjoy building things, it is very simple and intuitive.

The filter installation was very simple since the space in the sump for the roller filter and the skimmer is enough. (50 cm / 19.7 inches long x 40 cm / 15.75 inches high x 40 cm / 15.75 inches wide)

The new filter has been up and running for six weeks now, and I can report the following:

The PH has risen from 8.05 to 8.15 on average.
The water is super clear and all inhabitants seem to be very pleased, particularly the anemones, BTAs

To give more context, I share the general data of my tank:

I installed it in September 2020. Its capacity is 870 liters / 220 US Gal total main display and sump.

In addition to the roll filter, the sump has a refuge area for chaeto algae (that lights up at night). The main drain of the tank is shared with the algae refuge with a tee and through a stopcock, to feed the refuge area.

The most recent update to the system was made yesterday, that I installed an additional return pump, and separate pipeline, to have redundancy.

- A Vectra M1 pump (the one that was originally running 100% 24h) is now for the manifold and the UV lamp. I have it working during the day at 60% and at night at 40%
- A COR-20 pump (the new addition) that goes directly from the sump to the main tank. I have it working during the day at 70% and at night at 40%

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-10-23 at 13.26.22.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-10-23 at 13.26.22.jpeg
    173.8 KB · Views: 320
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-10-23 at 13.26.25.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-10-23 at 13.26.25.jpeg
    213.3 KB · Views: 240
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-10-23 at 13.26.24.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-10-23 at 13.26.24.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 223
Upvote 0

roger rammit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you stop the leaking between the joints. The o-rings don’t seem to cover the joint.

Upvote 0

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you stop the leaking between the joints. The o-rings don’t seem to cover the joint.
The body of the filter doesn’t need to be water tight. It’s more of a diversion system; it just diverts the water through the filter material. Keep in mind that some water also slips around the filter material as well. But the “leakage” is small. I’m still very happy with my choice. Great filter.

Upvote 0

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're not going to care how the water gets to them.

However, I think the actual question isn't if the filter rollers will work with a siphon overflow, but rather, will a siphon overflow work properly when attached to a filter roller. As long as your overflow works with the outlet submerged to the depth of the filter's inlet, which it should, it'll be fine.

Upvote 0

WestMI-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the small gen 2. Modified it to accept 2 main drains (I have 2 displays). So far its great. A small amount of water escapes on the sides of the roll material, but its inconsequential to overall waste removal, just like the small trickle that goes into my emergency drains.
the roll it came with seems to be a good micron and allows water to flow. Haven’t ordered any replacements yet because my system is just cycling.

Upvote 0

misturrtinnie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm running a small one on my Red Sea 250, so far I'm digging it. Only complaint is the water that passes between the fleece and roller assembly, but it's pretty minimal and just by looking at the old fleece it's working hard. Very pleased with it especially during the sale. Been about half a month and I've only used 1/3 of the roll. If I can get about 2 months out of a roll I'll be very pleased. Will probably end up purchasing the larger one for my new system or suck it up and get a reefer mat 1200.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back