Bubble Tip Anemone Color ID

merfury1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, so I got 2 BTA in my tank currently. Took from a friend who is leaving the hobby.

What type of BTA are these 2?

20240213_141929.jpg 20240213_141925.jpg

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're still in New Zealand, then I highly doubt you have lineaged BTAs (though the bottom one does look like a ChSB). Therefore, I'd say they're probably wild BTAs, nice ones at that.

OP
OP
M

merfury1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're still in New Zealand, then I highly doubt you have lineaged BTAs (though the bottom one does look like a ChSB). Therefore, I'd say they're probably wild BTAs, nice ones at that.
Being them wild is a good thing?
And one on the right looks like what color morph?

Also would it be an issue to keep both in the same tank? For example would the sunburst loose its color etc.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in the U.S. we have two sunburst morphs (which are typically characterized by bright yellow and orange not found in other BTAs) -- the Colorado Sunburst and the Chicago Sunburst (ChSB). As with all BTAs, they started as wild anemones, but have been kept in captivity for years. What's nice is that we know what colors we're getting with these two morphs.

As previously mentioned, your BTA in the bottom left looks a lot like a Chicago Sunburst. I'm not familiar with other regions' naming conventions--your region may already have a name for that color morph.

Them being wild is not a good or bad thing, and I'm only saying they're wild because I don't have knowledge of a local lineage. You may want to reach out to a local club or FB group, and you may find that they are in fact not wild.

The BTA on the right looks like a Rainbow BTA (RBTA).

There have been anecdotal reports that the two morphs can't live together. Some believe it is allelopathy (chemical warfare) with the RBTA usually "winning" and the ChSB getting smaller in size and slowly dwindling away.

OP
OP
M

merfury1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in the U.S. we have two sunburst morphs (which are typically characterized by bright yellow and orange not found in other BTAs) -- the Colorado Sunburst and the Chicago Sunburst (ChSB). As with all BTAs, they started as wild anemones, but have been kept in captivity for years. What's nice is that we know what colors we're getting with these two morphs.

As previously mentioned, your BTA in the bottom left looks a lot like a Chicago Sunburst. I'm not familiar with other regions' naming conventions--your region may already have a name for that color morph.

Them being wild is not a good or bad thing, and I'm only saying they're wild because I don't have knowledge of a local lineage. You may want to reach out to a local club or FB group, and you may find that they are in fact not wild.

The BTA on the right looks like a Rainbow BTA (RBTA).

There have been anecdotal reports that the two morphs can't live together. Some believe it is allelopathy (chemical warfare) with the RBTA usually "winning" and the ChSB getting smaller in size and slowly dwindling away.
Oh so I guess I need to remove the RBTA, does the chemical warfare take over time to happen or you reckon its already underway (or does it need to touch for it to have affect?). Currently both anemone extend to their fullest. It's been together for like 4 days.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh so I guess I need to remove the RBTA, does the chemical warfare take over time to happen or you reckon its already underway (or does it need to touch for it to have affect?). Currently both anemone extend to their fullest. It's been together for like 4 days.

It happens really slowly. So slow that people question whether it's happening or not. It could take months. I often recommend that people take photos, which show the slow demise, as one nem get smaller and smaller.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The evidence for this is anecdotal. While yes, there are stories of it happening, there's no proof either. Seems they were doing just fine in the previous tank. Until there's an issue, there's nothing to fix.

OP
OP
M

merfury1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting.

One more thing would SB loose its color ever, if so why would it do that?
If it ever bleaches, would it retain same yellow color after healup?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi guys, so I got 2 BTA in my tank currently. Took from a friend who is leaving the hobby.

What type of BTA are these 2?

20240213_141929.jpg 20240213_141925.jpg
left looks like long tentacle and right looks like RBTA but lighting seems bright

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
left looks like long tentacle and right looks like RBTA but lighting seems bright
Not saying its bright for the nems but bright as far as seeing the actual colors especially when viewing on a phone screen

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back