Bubble tip anemone in 20L?

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have got to the stage of being able to keep corals in my tank. I have a white flurry clown and a snowflake clown that I have had since the beginning and I know since they are captive bred they may not naturally host a anemone. I have seen they host Duncans or GSP or other things in the tank. But I still would like to try and even if they don't host the anemone the coral it self is beautiful to look at. So I want to know if I can keep a bubble tip in a 20L and if so what kind of care. Thanks. Happy reefing

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have got to the stage of being able to keep corals in my tank. I have a white flurry clown and a snowflake clown that I have had since the beginning and I know since they are captive bred they may not naturally host a anemone. I have seen they host Duncans or GSP or other things in the tank. But I still would like to try and even if they don't host the anemone the coral it self is beautiful to look at. So I want to know if I can keep a bubble tip in a 20L and if so what kind of care. Thanks. Happy reefing
Personally I wouldn’t. BTAs can get 1’ in diameter and are only known to host maroon clowns. They also are extremely sensitive to any swings, especially in salinity and temperature, a 20L tank to me is the same as a 5g tank which will have MANY salinity swings if not kept ontop of.

You could try a mini maxi or RFA but again they don’t host clowns. You could always get a Porcelain Crab to host the RFA or Mini Maxi. Another thing with Mini Maxi and RFAs is how they’re much easier to keep than BTAs are. They are much less sensitive to swings in parameters. And remain smaller (6” in diameter),

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ORA ocellaris clowns and they host my BTA's. It took them 2 years to do it and would only do it once I moved a rock full of BTA's directly next to their spawning site. But, to your question: would I put them in a 20L? I agree with @i cant think and would make sure you have an ATO to keep that salinity stable. IMO, I don't think you'll have any issues with size -- at least not for a while. Now, for the bad news: If I had to do it all over again, I would have never added BTA's to my mixed reef tank due to them splitting and killing corals. I find myself removing 3 or 4 BTA's once a month. I love how cool it is to see the clowns playing in the BTA, but would only do an anemone-only tank in the future.

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the responses. Seems like way to much of a Hassel then being something I can enjoy. Plus I don't want it to start stinging and killing other corals

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I wouldn’t. BTAs can get 1’ in diameter and are only known to host maroon clowns. They also are extremely sensitive to any swings, especially in salinity and temperature, a 20L tank to me is the same as a 5g tank which will have MANY salinity swings if not kept ontop of.

You could try a mini maxi or RFA but again they don’t host clowns. You could always get a Porcelain Crab to host the RFA or Mini Maxi. Another thing with Mini Maxi and RFAs is how they’re much easier to keep than BTAs are. They are much less sensitive to swings in parameters. And remain smaller (6” in diameter),
BTA will host far more than maroons in captivity.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back