Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FCFEDFDD-A186-4315-B865-AE28B77E0BD1.jpeg
C36C53DA-9D95-4C80-89A5-1C6B6DBDA20B.jpeg
8A103FA8-11A1-41AE-933C-BF10E91B9211.jpeg

The first photo is the anemone with blue on, the second one is now, the third photo is my hammer Coral, which is doing well. As you can see, the anemone is not open properly and looks bleached. I got it from Petco around two weeks ago. I have been feeding it frozen brine shrimp about once every week. I think it is getting more bleached as it stays in my tank. I have no idea what to do, I’m not sure if I should change my lights up, or maybe the flow or anything else. My tank is around 8 months old. My parameters are as follows.
Nitrate: 20ppm? Have tried everything to bring down this number but failed, I think the test might be inaccurate, professionally tested it and it came back as 12ppm.

Phosphate: 0-.25 ppm

DKH: 8

Calcium: 400 ppm

PH: 8.1

Nitrite: 0ppm

Ammonia: probably zero, did not test

my stocking would include, 4 clown fish, one peppermint shrimp, and 2 starfish. I feed about every other day, and Feed frozen food once a week. my tank is a 30 gallon and this is My light on Amazon . Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you for any help.

Last edited:

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats probably a BTA from the ocean if it came from petco, they can be a PITA adjusting to tank life.
Leave it, they don't mind nitrates. It may make it, but if you want to succeed with ease just get a aquacultured anemone, I strongly recommend against buying anything from Petco, especially something sensitive like an anemone. I can tell you one thing, that trying to make changes to water chemistry with your current levels will only make things worse for the nem.
I've been studying them for the last 15 years, and probably have bred around 5 thousand over that time. These don't split they reproduce sexually in the water column (under the right conditions) Here is a picture of one of the babies. As you can see, its about 1/5 the size of my finger nail.
You can purchase these ones at reeffarm.com. They are very easy to care for.
1625338079156.png

Justanano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the same one as in your other emergency thread?

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look anything like the BTA's I've seen. The color looks like it's bleached perhaps, the foot is brown and the tentacles also look extremely short.

It looks more like a carpet anemone, but I'm not an anemone expert.

Any rate, peppermint shrimp can sometimes irritate them. Also clownfish can irritate them if they are trying to get inside them while it doesn't want them to.

Don't really know what is wrong with it.

OP
OP
Mikey0909

Mikey0909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look anything like the BTA's I've seen. The color looks like it's bleached perhaps, the foot is brown and the tentacles also look extremely short.

It looks more like a carpet anemone, but I'm not an anemone expert.

Any rate, peppermint shrimp can sometimes irritate them. Also clownfish can irritate them if they are trying to get inside them while it doesn't want them to.

Don't really know what is wrong with it.
It’s definitely a BTA, I just don’t know what to do. My clowfish is a tomato, and the only anemone they will host is a BTA. think it was wild caught because I got it from Petco so I think It might just be kinda done for.

OP
OP
Mikey0909

Mikey0909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats probably a BTA from the ocean if it came from petco, they can be a PITA adjusting to tank life.
Leave it, they don't mind nitrates. It may make it, but if you want to succeed with ease just get a aquacultured anemone, I strongly recommend against buying anything from Petco, especially something sensitive like an anemone. I can tell you one thing, that trying to make changes to water chemistry with your current levels will only make things worse for the nem.
I've been studying them for the last 15 years, and probably have bred around 5 thousand over that time. These don't split they reproduce sexually in the water column (under the right conditions) Here is a picture of one of the babies. As you can see, its about 1/5 the size of my finger nail.
You can purchase these ones at reeffarm.com. They are very easy to care for.
1625338079156.png
75$! Heck no, and with the 40$ Shipping, and a 20 small order fee?!!?

OP
OP
Mikey0909

Mikey0909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if people are asking for more details in the other thread starting a new one doesn't help... provide details in that thread.
I’m new to this website, and I don’t know exactly how it works. I linked this to the people who asked so they can see it.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m new to this website, and I don’t know exactly how it works. I linked this to the people who asked so they can see it.
No worries and welcome.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
75$! Heck no, and with the 40$ Shipping, and a 20 small order fee?!!?
I don't know about you. But I plan to get one.
I lost a wild BTA anemone. The lfs didn't know if it was wild or tank born. It was sad watching him shrink to nothing. He never could be made happy.
Gl hope you can find a solution to caring for the guy.

OP
OP
Mikey0909

Mikey0909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about you. But I plan to get one.
I lost a wild BTA anemone. The lfs didn't know if it was wild or tank born. It was sad watching him shrink to nothing. He never could be made happy.
Gl hope you can find a solution to caring for the guy.
Thanks, I will try my best to keep it alive, and make it healthy again. Sounds like a very sad story, I hope keeping a new one goes well.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back