Bubbles, Bubbles and more Bubbles

tahojones

Linda J
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me what is wrong when I get thousands of micro-bubbles in my display tank? I know I need to do something to the skimmer, because when I turn it off, the bubbles disapate. Do I have an air leak or something? :squigglemouth: If so, where should I check? :cry: :cry:

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um... 1. Try and return the skimmer as far away from the main return pump... 2. Try and adjust your skimmers return as low in the skimmer body as you can...(if you can)... 3. Lower the volume of water running thru your skimmer 4. Be sure your skimmer return is above the water level of the sump... 5. return the skimmer thru a filter of some sort... (filter floss or filter sock... 6. Increase the water level in you sump (if you can.. Be sure it will not overflow in the event of a power loss)... 7. Return the main return pump from the lowest part of the sump...

Hope any of this helps ;)

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mel you've got some great ideas! I like the filter sock/filter floss one--you can never have too much filtering.

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that what the pieces of glass/acrylic siliconed into the sump are for? To break up bubbles? Or is that to control water flow, or what? I am at a major disadvantage on the mechanical parts.

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea... Primarily.. The baffels are designed to push the water down... Making it harder for the bubbles to stAy in the water column... By increasing or lowering the flow thru the sump.. Gives the baffles more time to remove the bubbles... It's a tinker game to find out what works the best for you

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an extra piece of acrylic you could put it between your skimmer and return to give the bubbles a little more time to dissipate. Thats what I did and it works. I don't have a bubble trap built into my sump.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back