Bubbles in Overflow Drain

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a HOB overflow , and for some reason the amount of bubbles that comes out of the overflow drain is crazy. The tank is in my room so I'd like to see if I can fix it somehow. The overflow is a PF-NANO , the DT is a 15 gallon aqueon tank, with a 10 gallon sump underneath (yes I know thats goofy). I'm using a sicce 1.0 pump as the return and it only pushes water about two feet into the display tank. Any help would be appreciated!

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have the inside box too high causing a suction of air by a vortex.
Lower the box so there is enough water to eliminate anything but water in the tubing.
The most important setting is enough flow to pull any & all bubbles completely out of the tube.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a HOB overflow , and for some reason the amount of bubbles that comes out of the overflow drain is crazy. The tank is in my room so I'd like to see if I can fix it somehow. The overflow is a PF-NANO , the DT is a 15 gallon aqueon tank, with a 10 gallon sump underneath (yes I know thats goofy). I'm using a sicce 1.0 pump as the return and it only pushes water about two feet into the display tank. Any help would be appreciated!
Are you talking about air in the u-tube?
I think you’re talking about water going down to sump, making noise. If that’s the case, with a single style drain, like you have, there’s nothing you can do about the air going down, it must. The quietest you can get, ime, is a diy stockman standpipe

OP
OP
TheSheff

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about air in the u-tube?
I think you’re talking about water going down to sump, making noise. If that’s the case, with a single style drain, like you have, there’s nothing you can do about the air going down, it must. The quietest you can get, ime, is a diy stockman standpipe
No im talking about the part that goes right into the sump. The overflow itself doesn't have any bubbles in it. Somewhere in between is causing bubbles I think.
Can you adjust your pumps flow rate? Are the bubbles returning to the tank?
my pump is at its lowest setting but I do have a ball valve on the line. The bubbles don't make it back to the tank

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No im talking about the part that goes right into the sump. The overflow itself doesn't have any bubbles in it. Somewhere in between is causing bubbles I think.

my pump is at its lowest setting but I do have a ball valve on the line. The bubbles don't make it back to the tank
So no bubbles are being seen in the "U" tube?

If no bubbles in the "U" tube, you may have a leak somewhere in the drain section of piping. Being as it is a drain, a leak will suck air when water runs past and this air will make bubbles when it comes out in the sump.

Side note: If bubbles in the "U" tube (may have to watch for little bits of air traveling through it, then possible that where the water comes into the overflow box, the splash of water entering is allowing air to make it down the piping.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The pipe from overflow into sump should be one or two inches deep into sump water. As far as air going down the pipe that’s what a single pipe drain does. As mentioned you could lower flow but then you have to be concerned you don’t get bubbles building up in u-tube, which will lead to a siphon break = flood

OP
OP
TheSheff

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pipe from overflow into sump should be one or two inches deep into sump water. As far as air going down the pipe that’s what a single pipe drain does. As mentioned you could lower flow but then you have to be concerned you don’t get bubbles building up in u-tube, which will lead to a siphon break = flood
Yeah if I lower flow anymore bubbles begin to form in the u tube. Do you recommend a 90 degree bend at the end right before it hits the water? I've seen some people say they use that.

OP
OP
TheSheff

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So no bubbles are being seen in the "U" tube?

If no bubbles in the "U" tube, you may have a leak somewhere in the drain section of piping. Being as it is a drain, a leak will suck air when water runs past and this air will make bubbles when it comes out in the sump.

Side note: If bubbles in the "U" tube (may have to watch for little bits of air traveling through it, then possible that where the water comes into the overflow box, the splash of water entering is allowing air to make it down the piping.
I just looked at there are tiny bubbles that go through the u tube.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked at there are tiny bubbles that go through the u tube.
OK. So more than likely air from where the water is not entering the box smoothly.

Sometimes, you can put an elbow on the drain pipe to prevent bubbles from being sucked in and sometimes not. A lot of times with a single drain, this is unavoidable. There are some DIY silencers for where the drain ends in the sump, but not sure how well they work. Just give google a go for "DIY Durso Drain Silencer" or "Silence Aquarium Overflow". You will see some suggestions and even videos that you may be able to use to silence it all.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back