Bubbling SPS disease

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna say what ever made the mushies bounce is what’s going on with these acros… I’m 100% convinced it’s the same thing! The bad part is acros stall out and don’t really grow once they bounce thou which sucks… I’ve noticed they do continue to encrust and new growth doesn’t have it but any body of a acro with bubbles just stalls out… rrrr.. I still haven’t lost any pieces from it, and torts seem to be the only infected pieces besides a pc rainbow and my pink lemonade that recovered from it… go figure lol.. all my other acros are fine and growing well! Tenius, stylos, slimers birds nest etc.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pink birdsnest started bubling about a month ago. Almost all cleared up now, just a few bubbles left. I'll try and grab some photos when I get home from work. No big changes to anything. I'm convinced that it's something bacterial happening in the flesh of the coral. I've not been dosing aminos for almost a year now. I do have a very high nutrients though P0⁴ is up at .50.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20231102_154231.jpg

This used to happen in the green birdsnest growing below it as well. That one grows so fast the bubble would get a calcium "shell" on the inside. Last time I had it occur it lasted for almost 6 months.

-JoJoReefing-

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
following the thread. I have the exactly same bubbles on almost all my acros since a year ago, first started when I increased the light intensity and seemed something went unbalanced. They seem to stay alive, but barely have growth. A few of them eventually have the bubble shrinking, and have some new growth (still very slow). Currently it seems those arco closest to the return pump outlet / wavemaker side show the most bubbles.

One interesting thing is I have one PC rainbow that was severely bubbling up, I put it into another tank, all bubbles went away in a few weeks. Later I put it back into this problematic tank and it never gets new bubbles, showing some growth but on the slow side.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following the thread. I have the exactly same bubbles on almost all my acros since a year ago, first started when I increased the light intensity and seemed something went unbalanced. They seem to stay alive, but barely have growth. A few of them eventually have the bubble shrinking, and have some new growth (still very slow). Currently it seems those arco closest to the return pump outlet / wavemaker side show the most bubbles.

One interesting thing is I have one PC rainbow that was severely bubbling up, I put it into another tank, all bubbles went away in a few weeks. Later I put it back into this problematic tank and it never gets new bubbles, showing some growth but on the slow side.
Seems to be the story… same thing in my tank… I’m tempted to pull the few that are affected and call it a day.. 75% of mine are perfectly fine it’s just a couple that come and go.. the worst are near the flow like you mentioned.

branbray07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following as i have the exact same issue. This is insane, as almost no one really knows why or how it happens. However , someone suggested i could be my lights, or better yet my T5's. Im currently running t5 and led hybrid. 2 blue + , 1 coral +, and 1 actinic, and 2 radion g6 pros with TSA schedule at 60% on a 16" tall shallow reef. Lights are at 10inches from water. Looking back now, i recall this issue getting worse after changing my bulbs from all blue + to what im running now. Also increasing the t5 from 2 hrs to 6 hrs.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following as i have the exact same issue. This is insane, as almost no one really knows why or how it happens. However , someone suggested i could be my lights, or better yet my T5's. Im currently running t5 and led hybrid. 2 blue + , 1 coral +, and 1 actinic, and 2 radion g6 pros with TSA schedule at 60% on a 16" tall shallow reef. Lights are at 10inches from water. Looking back now, i recall this issue getting worse after changing my bulbs from all blue + to what im running now. Also increasing the t5 from 2 hrs to 6 hrs.
Don’t think so… I run halides and never had this issue till now… what ever is making shrooms bounce is affecting acros in my opinion.. it’s gotta be bacterial.

branbray07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t think so… I run halides and never had this issue till now… what ever is making shrooms bounce is affecting acros in my opinion.. it’s gotta be bacterial.
I agree with you 100%. However funny how it does not respond to any Antibiotic treatment. This is just an experiment , since it was a suggestion from a very well know SPS keeper. Also remembering back, my issue got out of hand after i swapped bulbs and extended my t5 photoperiod .

branbray07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone recommended me i treat it with cipro for 6 days up to 10. “
***6 days in a row 6 doses total 500mg tablet into 50ml of rodi water. Mix well. If possible store in a dark container or anything that is not clear so cipro doesn’t degrade.
(Amount tank water in liters) multiple by (.125) divide by 10. In mL.

for example
284 liters x .125 divide 10= 3.55 mL**

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone recommended me i treat it with cipro for 6 days up to 10. “
***6 days in a row 6 doses total 500mg tablet into 50ml of rodi water. Mix well. If possible store in a dark container or anything that is not clear so cipro doesn’t degrade.
(Amount tank water in liters) multiple by (.125) divide by 10. In mL.

for example
284 liters x .125 divide 10= 3.55 mL**
I know a few people have done cipro dips and it didn’t help… kinda makes sense I guess if you put it back in a tank with what ever is going on! If you decide to try the cipro route please let us know how it goes! I saw this today :face-with-monocle:
IMG_2184.jpeg

branbray07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a few people have done cipro dips and it didn’t help… kinda makes sense I guess if you put it back in a tank with what ever is going on! If you decide to try the cipro route please let us know how it goes! I saw this today :face-with-monocle:
IMG_2184.jpeg
Wow that is crazyyy . Guess LPS too

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was just shown this thread after posting my own post today asking what this bubble is on my acro.

180 gallon tank
1 yr running almost
No changes in lights, chemistry or etc.
Some cyano showing up over the last few weeks
Dosing all for reef since the startup
Running reefbreeders photons

I did dose calcium carbonate ( coral snow) for the first time ever last night going off of sunnyx’s process. This afternoon I noticed a bubble on one tip of my best growing acro. ( don’t know what it is—- sold to me as a frag of WWC yellow tip, but I don’t think so)
IMG_0891.jpeg
IMG_0892.jpeg
IMG_0889.jpeg
IMG_0890.jpeg

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was just shown this thread after posting my own post today asking what this bubble is on my acro.

180 gallon tank
1 yr running almost
No changes in lights, chemistry or etc.
Some cyano showing up over the last few weeks
Dosing all for reef since the startup
Running reefbreeders photons

I did dose calcium carbonate ( coral snow) for the first time ever last night going off of sunnyx’s process. This afternoon I noticed a bubble on one tip of my best growing acro. ( don’t know what it is—- sold to me as a frag of WWC yellow tip, but I don’t think so)
IMG_0891.jpeg
IMG_0892.jpeg
IMG_0889.jpeg
IMG_0890.jpeg
Is it only on that tip? Maybe clip it off see if the bubble shows up somewhere else.

I had this happen to an acro a few years ago, I clipped the tip off and it disappeared.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it only on that tip? Maybe clip it off see if the bubble shows up somewhere else.

I had this happen to an acro a few years ago, I clipped the tip off and it disappeared.
It is. I touched it gently while doing tank maintenance and it is soft. I was just kinda watching it but will probably go ahead and clip it off a little bit below the tip area

dwhanc00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is why I am following this thread...

Attachments

• acro bubbling.jpg
    acro bubbling.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 28

dwhanc00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issues really other than that. Still growing at the base. It has been like that for at least 3-4 months.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issues really other than that. Still growing at the base. It has been like that for at least 3-4 months.
Pretty much what my pc rainbow did! It won’t grow now it only bases out… I just clipped the top off to see wha happens if it will grow a new shoot or just skin over and bubble.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 50 26.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back