Budget controllable powerheads

RipVanWinkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, pretty new to reefing here, the first upgrade I'm noticing that I really want are some powerheads that I can turn on and off or adjust with an app on my phone.. What are you guys using and is there a cheap option? It's a smallish tank.

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smallish isn’t too helpful, honestly. Like for example a nano tank could be 10-40ish gallons. Which require an entirely diff gph turnover. Also, what type of coral, if any, do you plan to keep? All of this info will be needed for one of these helpful people to point you towards a specific product.

OP
OP
RipVanWinkle

RipVanWinkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smallish isn’t too helpful, honestly. Like for example a nano tank could be 10-40ish gallons. Which require an entirely diff gph turnover. Also, what type of coral, if any, do you plan to keep? All of this info will be needed for one of these helpful people to point you towards a specific product.
36 gallon bow front. Mixed reef plan on having lots of zoas mushrooms rock flower nems

ifrankielin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5130994C-B8F3-4C27-8AF5-9257A83A0CE6.png
Cheap an powerful

Mav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 jebaos an slw-10 and an slw-20. They are not WiFi but to turn them down I just a button on 1 controller and both ramp all the way down. Also using a 36g bowfront. Just an added option.

OP
OP
RipVanWinkle

RipVanWinkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 jebaos an slw-10 and an slw-20. They are not WiFi but to turn them down I just a button on 1 controller and both ramp all the way down. Also using a 36g bowfront. Just an added option.
This sounds great and they look pretty cheap, but how do I control two with one controller? An additional controller or?

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know what you mean by 'budget'... IMHO, value, reliability, and flexibility are more important than 'cheap'...

In a 36g Bow, I'd recommend a Tunze 6040. Small, quiet, variable output from 53 to 1190 gph. Controllable via included module, AND, unlike most any other wave pump you might look at, it can be plugged into an Apex, giving you that 'cell phone app controllable' feature that you were asking about.

Add in one of the least expensive, most reliable solutions for battery backup (Tunze safety connector and BYO battery), and you've got flexible all wrapped up.

I've got several Tunze pumps, including a 6040. Reliability is excellent. IMHO, value to cost ratio is also excellent...

But it's not cheap.

Mav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No plug them both in separately and define one as master by pressing a button on the controller than and select slave on the other. I can find the instructions and post for you if you want. Also nem guards are cheap and easy to source

OP
OP
RipVanWinkle

RipVanWinkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No plug them both in separately and define one as master by pressing a button on the controller than and select slave on the other. I can find the instructions and post for you if you want. Also nem guards are cheap and easy to source
No need for the instructions, this sounds like a pretty good option thank you!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back