Budget lights

ChaseS10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own AI lights and absolutely love everything about it. My question is, what is the best bang for your buck now of days. Plenty of Chinese lights on the market, but what do you have experience with. Considering starting a frag tank, and would like to have an app if possible.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apps=money..lol. Led bars are solid. Noopsyches seem to be good for the cost. I use viparspectra...no frills but effective. Plenty of options depending on budget

Kylesreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own AI lights and absolutely love everything about it. My question is, what is the best bang for your buck now of days. Plenty of Chinese lights on the market, but what do you have experience with. Considering starting a frag tank, and would like to have an app if possible.
Quanta bars or nicrew or smatfarm without question, although for "app use" you'll have to use a smart plug app and turn them off or on with smart plugs. Smatfarm and some of the nicrew have integrated timers in the light already. There's generally no need to worry about spectrum as long as your lights fall close to 6000k and the light at the bottom of the tank is enough to theoretically easily read a restaurant menu or book sitting at the bottom. I run no sunset or sunrise, and in addition to my 150w nicrew hyper reefs at 100% blue 60% white at 24" off the water, I also run 11 hours and keep the windows open for extra sunlight.

Nicrew 150w is what I use and when I need to retire them I will shift to quanta bars.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back