OP
OP
B

Budluvcash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here I am at day 24 that makes 11 days that the nitrites are high!!!! Please hurry please hurry! Ammonia still at 0. It's been 4 days since I added ammonium woundering if I should add more now or wait until the nitrites come down?

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told the 2 XR30 would be more then adequate for anything I want to put in. Your thoughts ?

Years back when they first came out I ran 3x gen1 rations with tir's over my 180 and had zero issues growing sps. They were 8" above water level and grew sps on the sand bed.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years back when they first came out I ran 3x gen1 rations with tir's over my 180 and had zero issues growing sps. They were 8" above water level and grew sps on the sand bed.

+1

I think this "shading" issue gets a lot of owners tho.... And most of the available information doesn't help.

The problem that is being pointed out on one hand is one of coverage - darkness in between the lights.

The capability that is being pointed out on the other hand, is that these lights have good intensity.

The coverage issue is really only aesthetic problem as some people have pointed out. You will not have problems finding corals to live in those shadier zones.... Most corals are not that particular.... Instead they are very adaptable.

At the same time (depending on your exact goals and circumstances) you really don't need the intensity of the xr30s even for a 180.

I personally like the XR15's (only 30% less PAR) for the OP's tank and I would use 3-5 of them.

Consider this:
  • 2200 PAR total from the two xr30 pro's ($1500)
  • 2400 PAR total from three xr15 pro's ($1200)
  • 3200 PAR total from four xr15 pro's ($1600)
"Spread" is dictated by the layout of your emitters more than the type of lenses that you have, so I like both of the XR15 options better than the XR30 config and I think you will have better light spread, better performance and be able to run your lights at lower power.

Five fixtures would be even better if you want to go that far.

Whatever combination you end up with, make sure you use a light meter to set the intensity. Do not go without a light meter just because a par meter is too expensive...

A free [HASHTAG]#lux[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#meter[/HASHTAG] app for your phone is a great place to start and will be perfectly serviceable. A $15 handheld lux meter is better, but requires you to wait for shipping. ;)

Either one will let you start getting practice with - and good use from - a light meter before deciding you have to lay out $400 on a PAR meter.

That will also give you time to read all of Dana Riddle's articles about lux meters and PAR meters. :):):)

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Budluvcash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's day 27 I think lol and my nitrites are still high they have come down but still high!!!!!! Hopefully this will end soon patience ugh

OP
OP
B

Budluvcash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1470098029.358985.jpg

This is all I can do now is sit and look at rocks lol

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's day 27 I think lol and my nitrites are still high they have come down but still high!!!!!! Hopefully this will end soon patience ugh

LOL, it's worse than watching paint dry!

My last two tanks I used Dr. Tim's One and Only. They both cycled in days... diatoms showed up in about a week from adding water. I had fish and coral in the tank within a week of adding water/rock/sand. It helped me get from this to this in a pretty short period of time.

Note: I'll edit my post soon to remove the image. I don't like dirtying up someone's build thread with pictures of a tank that is not theirs.

Red Sea Reefer 10 Months by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

OP
OP
B

Budluvcash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toby it's all good tank looks amazing leave it. I used dr. Tims also but I have just been dosing ammonium thought it we be a little quicker then this lol I'm not in a hurry so I'll just wait lol

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toby it's all good tank looks amazing leave it. I used dr. Tims also but I have just been dosing ammonium thought it we be a little quicker then this lol I'm not in a hurry so I'll just wait lol

Interesting, I would of thought that dosing ammonium chloride would of been faster than the fish method... which is what I used with the Dr. Tim's. What is your pH by chance? If it gets fairly low, it can stall the process.

OP
OP
B

Budluvcash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I have to ride it out! The only problem is I don't know when to add more ammonium chloride. I was scared to add it with the nitrites so high didn't want to make them so high I stalled the cycle so I have been dosing once every 3 to 4 days I drop per gallon. I hear if I don't feed the bacteria it could die so I'm trying to do it right

reefeqmover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria dont die, they just go dormant. Think of bactetia in a bottle... and then multiply again when ammonia is present.

OP
OP
B

Budluvcash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool so with that being said I won't dose again until nitrite is at 0 and my ammonia is at 0 and every time I dose the ammonia is at 0 the next day.

OP
OP
B

Budluvcash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate this at 30 days nitrite still high!!!!!!! Haven't added ammonium chloride in 5 days either!!!!! dang

Back