OP
OP
LanM

LanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sir, unfortunately that's usually the case for anything worth doing so I'll take a breath and pace myself.

The problem is, there's 1000 directions I could go, and I'm even reconsidering keeping the used 29 Biocube tank I picked up. The reason is that I came across a sale online, and the 29 biocube with the intermediate Led package and stand is $311 shipped right now.

I paid $125 for my used Oceanic 29. It needs lights, and I wouldn't reuse any of the equipment.
A decent light option (which I'm spending excessive time reasearching), will be $129 min for something like the sbox sprite, then retrofit. Or $150 on something else. I already set the ceiling at $150. I will not spend more on a light than the contents of the tank, I guess I'm too much of a pragmatist.

So $125 tank + 150 light = $275.....dangerously close to the price of the new intermediate unit. And I wouldn't be stuck with a marginally beat up stand. If I can 100% get better performance out of the setup by using a black box, or one of the other options on the market then I'd be content keeping the used 29. Decisions..... What I need to do is stop overanalyzing every option in my uncontrollable need to squeeze every penny's worth of value out of something, ha.

Ben Weaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the "a reef creation" advice! They just moved and their new store looks like it is going to be incredible!
I've always found much better prices and veriety there then at a buffalo coral reef (although mikes store is super nice and clean).
Also. If you ever get down to orchard park, there is a place called Coral Sea Aquatics. They have a cool store too. They usually have a cool 5 or 10 dollar rack.
Welcome to r2r and the area!

OP
OP
LanM

LanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcome guys.

I intend on checking out a Reef Creation as soon as Im set up to add things to the tank, or have the new tank rolling.

I'm kicking around lighting options at the moment, and have decided to keep the 29 that I already purchased. Presently reading through the black box mod thread, and comparing those options to what's available.

I saw that the current USA 18 inch ic pro fits perfectly under a gutted hood, and also controls a pp8 if I go for one of those, which seems to be a better idea than throwing amother koralia nano in there. High dollar equipment is waaay down the line, after I've established that I am committed to the hobby. I'm also concerned about moving, which ultimately will happen so keeping that and the associated risks to the tank in perspective is keeping this a modest build.

OP
OP
LanM

LanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WnYreefer, I saw the rapidled kits, but fell out of my chair on the price. $360 for the biocube kit is beyond what I'd allocate to the hobby at this point.
I know Steve's Led's also sells a kit, and looked at that as well, for $329...again miles away from my price point. Over $300 buys a heck of a nice light that's not married to the tank, which is a consideration given if I move up in size I'd like an option that can either be daisy chained or cheap enough to be kept on a QT tank if that's in my future. Trying to plan ahead.

I'm almost concretely planted at the $150 threshold for a light, perhaps $200 if the lighting option is of significant benefit. I can honestly say you'd probably see me streaking down I90 before I'd be seen spending $300 on a light at this point in the hobby, ha.

KJ, thanks for the welcome, I'm liking it here

OP
OP
LanM

LanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike, I'm originally from futher upstate than Buffalo (east of the 1000 Islands region), and spent my college years up there as well so the snow is a part of life....unfortunately.

I swear every year is going to be my last winter. Last spring I got rid of all my winter clothing, as I was convinced I'd be heading back south...and here I landed in Buffalo. Good thing I'm insulated.

Last edited:

WnYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get what you're saying on price. I have a Reef Radiance nano 60 that's a few years old "2015" and only used for frag swaps. If you want to give that a try let me know.

OP
OP
LanM

LanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the offer WnYreefer, do you think that the nano would work on the 29gal? I've seen reefradiance's stuff and I would likely pick up one of their starfire modded black boxes if it were still in sale for 150 as I've seen it in the past. Right now I can only see that they have a demo on sale for 199, which doesn't resonate well paying 50 bucks more for a used no warranty light than they were offered new on sale.

WnYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well before I purchased the light I wanted to know if it would cover the frag tank reasonably 20" l x 10" w x 7" h. I was told that with the given length of 20" I would have to raise the light higher to cover the length, which I was planning on anyway. I'm not sure if you are keeping the top on or off but it might work better on a more of a square shape rather than rectangle.

SBreeflights has some good lights and a little less than Reef Radiance. Might want to also consider PAR38 bulbs one or two of them could work.

OP
OP
LanM

LanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply- I'll be leaving the cover on, I like the look and I'm fairly certain I'm going to be painting the hood and trim a chameleon/coral blue to green. Going for a retro look, that way it's a period piece and could fit in with a more modern room or office should it end up there.

It also satisfies my need to paint stuff...and solves my disgust for all things made of black pressboard. The stand will probably be painted white, with exotic veneer inserts (eucalyptus, pommele sappele, or tiger bamboo) on the door panels, some updated handles and legs. Trying to picture the blue tank on a white stand...might be tempted to just go all white but I really want to try the paint scheme I had in mind. We'll see.

So, long story even longer; light has to fit under the hood.

There's a YouTube video that comes up if you type current usa 29 biocube. It shows the current usa pro light fitting perfectly under the hood, and has legs to boot so no work installation. However, I want the full spectrum led setup like sbox and reefradiance has, but it will probably be less work to swap out a handful of leds on the current usa than carve up the hood for one of the others.

To throw another curve ball, there 's a guy on Craigslist in Syracuse/Camillus selling a biocube with a coral box moon, higher end skimmer, pumps, wave controllers, and all that noise for 300..and the coral box moon pro is 179 alone. But I can't get a reply so I should stick to the original plan.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LanM

LanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcome! Lots of great people here, I'm enjoying the hobby more than I expected.

-XENOMORPH-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20180131-121914.png
I'm in South town s... I usually goto coral sea. In orchard Park. It's close. Nice to c a WNY person.

OP
OP
LanM

LanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CK, thanks for the tip man, I'll have to check it out soon.

WnYreefer, thanks for the offer, I'm getting pretty close. After (and before) the water change 5 days ago, I had great numbers. I got the bloom for less than 24 hours. been crystal clear for the past 6 days.

I added my first frags about 5 days ago, couldn't help myself after everything was looking good.

Today, just tested: Nitrates: >25, but <50. Nitrites:0. Ph: 8. KH;6.7. Ammonia: 0.25. Phosphate:0.03.

Ammonia was likely up because one of my hermits killed my snails and took its shell.

Frags are looking great, I can't wait to get more. No fish yet. The smallest of the 3 has 3-4 different colors, I like that one best.

WNY reefer, do you suggest I wait until the 29 is up and running to add more? I wanted to take my time on that tank, order some of the dry rock thats been cut flat on one side for the back wall, get a ato, skimmer, figure out what will fit where, etc.

Here's a horrible pic of the frags.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back