Buffalo NY New Member, First SW tank...developing the sickness

LanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys/gals, I'm new to the forum, and new to the aquarium scene. I'm in the Buffalo NY area, recently moved here this past September. I decided to get into the hobby on a whim, initially intending to start a small freshwater tank. That plan has changed significantly over the past 10 days as once you dip a toe into these waters, apparently you're sucked in pretty rapidly with the prospect of having a tank full of corals with otherworldly coloration.

I started with a 7.9 gallon Fluvbal EBI that was advertised locally on Craigslist. After stopping in a local fish store I dropped the freshwater plans and went marine.

Over the past week, I've set up that small tank with seasoned live rock, and will be starting a build thread. Plans also changed a little bit. I came across a 29 biocube on craigslist, and purchased that yesterday and will be transitioning to that tank when it's set up. I met a great couple who recently broke down their 75 gallon in Rochester NY and purchased 50lbs of reef salt, a BRS RODI system, and a few books and odds and ends from him yesterday fro $115. I'm tracking spending on this project, which is probably a bad idea but I initially wanted to know how expensive it was going to actually be to support 8 gallons of saltwater.

Now that the 29 is on the horizon, I might as well toss the calculator.

This looks like a great forum, with nice people and a great place to share information and learn. I'm looking forward to being an active member.

Thanks- Lan

Last edited:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
giphy.gif

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, was just in Buffalo a week ago. Check out Buffalo Coral Reef on Genesee St near the airport. Checked it out by our hotel while visiting family. Some nice tanks and friendly folks.

OP
OP
LanM

LanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha,
well I probably would have if he still had it. He had gotten rid of almost everything by the time I found his listing. I just happened to be in the Rochester area last evening.

They were a very nice couple, he kept saying he wished we had met when he first decided to break it down. I was there about 45 minutes, and it was a great experience. We were talking about water, and I was telling him how I was considering a RODI system, but had already spent over $400 on this little 8 gallon project, he said come on down to the basement...

He unhooked the unit from the wall, (filters labeled as being replaced in September), and said "Here, take this for 50 bucks". They were preparing for the move, and he didn't intend on taking it so instead of feeling guilty I happily agreed. He also tossed in every net, pipe cleaner, books, extra test tubes and a case to hold them, and 2 liters of Matrix carbon. I think I did OK, and made a new friend. Great people, he even brought me out a half of steak and cheese sub and a diet soda for the drive home. I'm very glad to have met him.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LanM

LanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A stop into Buffalo Coral Reef is what sold me on saltwater. It is about 10 miles from my house, and I stopped in there and talked with Mike, the owner. Great guy, very knowledgeable and easy going. I walked out of there my first visit with water and live sand. I travel around the area for work, and haven't gotten a chance to go back yet. I have been an opportunistic shopper, stopping by whichever reef store that I was near that day. Bought 6.5 lbs of live rock from the reef shop in Rochester, and the 2nd chunk from Saltwater Paradise in Tonawanda (really nice people as well).

The Coral dudes just south of Rochester is where I popped into as I found them online and placed my first order for fish; davinci clown, phantom clown, and orchid dottyback. Requesting the smallest of specimens, as I know that is way too much for an 8 gallon. However, them being less than 1 inch, coupled with the move to a 29 gallon I won't feel horrible in the interim. I'm not taking them home until I have 100% confirmation that I'm cycled and good to go.

OP
OP
LanM

LanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Its good to know there are local members on the forum.
Hoppy, nice to see another upstater. My hometown is north of Watertown, but I've spent countless amounts of time in the Syracuse area over the years.
WnYreefer, I'm in Tonawanda, ellicot creek park area right off the blvd. I like the Buffalo area much more than I thought I would.

OP
OP
LanM

LanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcome. Haha, yeah I guess it will become chronic, the prescription might be another clownfish.

Originally I had 100% decided against Clownfish of any kind as they were ubiquitous....but these different crosses are pretty cool.

I'm just about to buy a lightning maroon, but that would be 3 clowns. I have to research if that's a good idea.

And I may need a 48 hour cooling off period. I don't want to go too heavy on one type and then have no room. I saw a mandarin goby and decided I had to have one in the tank. 5 fish is pushing it for a 29, right.

Assimilation it is I guess, why fight it.

OP
OP
LanM

LanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it.

I'm a bit concerned at the moment, as I've seen my cycle progress, ammonia up, nitrites up, both down, nitrates up. Now testing great....no diatom bloom. I did put the hermits and snails in there, and I'm hoping it doesn't end up being a horrible idea. Theyre cleaning all the coralline algae from the 2 rocks that have it.

I don't want to rush the new tank. I'm leaning towards a foam/rock wall in the rear, really making it a fun project. The flipside is it would take longer.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back