Buffering: Does substrate/sand need to be replaced or added to over time?

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow saltines,

I started up my 5g tank almost a month ago with CaribSea Fiji Pink live sand. Over the past year I have been researching how all of the different elements of a reef tank interact with each other and how they affect tank parameters. One of the things I read is that some of the substrate/sand types are meant to break down to buffer pH (hopefully my understanding of this is correct). Does this mean that over time we have to replenish our substrate and if so when should it be done? Is it when pH starts to go down? Also which substrate/sand types do we have to keep an eye on? Do I have to keep an eye on my Fiji Pink?

Let me know if my understanding of this is incorrect. I haven't read of anyone replacing or adding to their substrate because of this issue so maybe I'm wrong in my understanding of this.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a 5 gallon tank I think you will lose more sand in the vac/cleaning process than will decompose over time. Prob just replenish it as the bottom gets thin.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a 5 gallon tank I think you will lose more sand in the vac/cleaning process than will decompose over time. Prob just replenish it as the bottom gets thin.
Thank you for this. That is reassuring!

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont believe the Ph is low enough in a normal aquarium to worry about this chemical process in your lifetime.
Excellent. I'm glad it's a slow process. I wasn't sure if I needed to keep a spare bag on hand. :)

Back