Build a DIY auto filter (Rollermat) for $60!

Balz3352

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally going to try to diy one myself.... I'd like some advice on motors if someone could help me out..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07CKNPF9B/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A2PMIWMSUTAYGS&psc=1

Or

DC 12V 15RPM 6mm Shaft High Torque Turbine Worm Geared Motor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EDMIH7E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_n3uECbP3J1MQ0

Also what power supply should I get? I know I need to convert from ac to DC 12v.

How did you attach your motor to the acrylic.

Also think it's possible to burn a Gear into pvc. Aka metal gear heat it up and put it into the pvc to make a pretty permanent bond?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance

OP
OP
DBR_Reef

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally going to try to diy one myself.... I'd like some advice on motors if someone could help me out..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07CKNPF9B/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A2PMIWMSUTAYGS&psc=1

Or

DC 12V 15RPM 6mm Shaft High Torque Turbine Worm Geared Motor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EDMIH7E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_n3uECbP3J1MQ0

Also what power supply should I get? I know I need to convert from ac to DC 12v.

How did you attach your motor to the acrylic.

Also think it's possible to burn a Gear into pvc. Aka metal gear heat it up and put it into the pvc to make a pretty permanent bond?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance

I would probably not use either one of those motors- they would probably work fine for a while, but they are just not built to last. And the torque will probably be really low. And for the same price you can have a medium quality used motor.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GEAR-HEAD-DC-24V-at-20-RPM-12V-at-10-RPM-MOTOR/112208101961?

Any power supply will work as long as it can supply enough amps- I always just use something off a piece of electronics I'm throwing away

You can attach the motor with nylon screws, or just a big gob of silicon and lay the motor into it (I did this). Anything that would exceed the holding strength of the silicon would destroy the housing anyway.

As far as melting metal into acrylic, it can be done, but I would recommend against it. This is better done in nylon or PVC plastic. Acrylic is fairly brittle, so the teeth of the gear would probably crack the acrylic when stressed. Acrylic is really a terrible plastic for most purposes, except for it's one redeeming quality- it's optical clarity.

Balz3352

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably not use either one of those motors- they would probably work fine for a while, but they are just not built to last. And the torque will probably be really low. And for the same price you can have a medium quality used motor.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GEAR-HEAD-DC-24V-at-20-RPM-12V-at-10-RPM-MOTOR/112208101961?

Any power supply will work as long as it can supply enough amps- I always just use something off a piece of electronics I'm throwing away

You can attach the motor with nylon screws, or just a big gob of silicon and lay the motor into it (I did this). Anything that would exceed the holding strength of the silicon would destroy the housing anyway.

As far as melting metal into acrylic, it can be done, but I would recommend against it. This is better done in nylon or PVC plastic. Acrylic is fairly brittle, so the teeth of the gear would probably crack the acrylic when stressed. Acrylic is really a terrible plastic for most purposes, except for it's one redeeming quality- it's optical clarity.
Thanks for the quick reply. How many amps is the motor you suggested?
Sorry this kind of electrical is not my forte.

Also. Yeah I was thinking of burning a gear into the pvc pipe not acrylic.

OP
OP
DBR_Reef

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick reply. How many amps is the motor you suggested?
Sorry this kind of electrical is not my forte.

Also. Yeah I was thinking of burning a gear into the pvc pipe not acrylic.
It doesn't look like it is listed, but I would guess around an amp

Balz3352

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered everything I need (I think) any changes that you would make? Are 1/4 in holes big enough would you go bigger if you had the chance?

Bramzor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about building one to fit in my sump. Space is very limited so nothing on the market fits.

But I do not want it to catch copepods and other living things so was wondering how to build a bypass for copepods. One way is to use a small 5mm LED and a clear tube to pull them in. But then you still need a way to allow a slow flow to let them through. Maybe combine that with a dripping system or dosing pump or another way that allows the copepods to pass through the filter? Might be some easy way to do it without additional hardware though.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is no way to build one that will allow a bypass for copepods.

Bramzor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is no way to build one that will allow a bypass for copepods.

Allow me to say that's not correct. You can easily make it so copepods and other animals that are attracted to light go pass the filter while still filtering 99%+ of the water.. Heavy materials drop down but copepods swim towards lightsources. You can easily place a tiny tube of 1-2ml ID and trick copepods with light to go in it. Result is that they will be drawn to the light, get into that tube and get flushed. Another option might be to have x% of water that just bypasses the filter. This might allow some things to build up in your sump but the most part will still be filtered. Also keep into consideration that a too clean tank is always BAD. So having x% of the flow (even if its just 1%) bypass the rollermat is still a valid solution.

At the end, its even counter productive to filter out copepods using any filtermedia. Using light (just a 0.5W LED or something) can already be a solution.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my pods are doing fine.. i will say even with this filer ... i still have my filter socks in use.. they do need a changing every couple of weeks.. I also note that when you do a heavy stir of the gravel or clean of the glass ect.. make sure to check the unit.. mine is on a timer so it goes three times a day. but need to manual hit the apex unit that controls it when cleaning the tank... clogs up quick with a clean up..

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drip Plate:
This is not a real drip plate, since it will be submerged in your sump, but the idea is the same. I made mine out of ¼’’ plexi. Holes are space randomly approximately 1/2 inch apart. I used a ¼’’ drill bit and chamfered the holes on one the filter side, although this is not entirely necessary. I can’t find a good off the shelf option, but if someone knows of one please comment where to find it. This plate can also be positioned horizontally if space is not a problem

A possibility might be a deburring tool... I use it when I drill holes in Acrylic. May not be small enough for a ¼ inch hole.

json216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about these thing water has to have nowhere to go but thru the paper...that roll must fit...I dont see how water dosent end up bypassing the roll

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about these thing water has to have nowhere to go but thru the paper...that roll must fit...I dont see how water dosent end up bypassing the roll
It usues the pressure of water to go through the paper. Some water will not be filtered but 95% should be.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back