• Poll closed .

Tro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All!

Building a 120 to divide the living room and porch.

We cleared beams that were cosmetic leaving one load bearing.

My plan is to build for a sumo under the tank, prob 40g. 36" long.

As I posted in my greeting I'm running RO in basement and pumping freshwater in and have a drain set up for water changes.

I'll try to post pics of progress. It's all a bit daunting as There's a lot of new lingo.

Happy reefing.

T

Ps. Lmk if I started this build thread in wrong place !

IMG_2107.JPG

IMG_2105.JPG

IMG_1131.JPG

IMG_2059.JPG

IMG_2095.JPG

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm a sucker for a room dividing 120g peninsula so I will be following along. Let's get a #mods to move this over to the members tank forum.

You're not in over your head. Just take your time, do your research and you'll be fine. Ask your questions here and you'll get plenty of help. The hardest part will be being patient. Just remember, slow and steady wins the salt race.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved to member tanks forum! Best of luck with the project. With research and patience I don't think you're in over your head. There's tons of helpful people here so ask away!!

reeftanker17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All!

Building a 120 to divide the living room and porch.

We cleared beams that were cosmetic leaving one load bearing.

My plan is to build for a sumo under the tank, prob 40g. 36" long.

As I posted in my greeting I'm running RO in basement and pumping freshwater in and have a drain set up for water changes.

I'll try to post pics of progress. It's all a bit daunting as There's a lot of new lingo.

Happy reefing.

T

Ps. Lmk if I started this build thread in wrong place !

IMG_2107.JPG

IMG_2105.JPG

IMG_1131.JPG

IMG_2059.JPG

IMG_2095.JPG
Following great work and welcome!!!!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I"m excited to see how this progresses!

OP
OP
Tro

Tro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of building the stand over the wood, we're going to wait until vinyl plank/water resistant floor is in then build the stand/wall. Otherwise, water would settle on the wood in event of an overflow.

How much water may typically find its way to floor in a problem situation ? Please don't say 120 gallons. :)

Will also put two more water lines in on case sump is moved into basement. Is it possible to run sump 30 feet up and over ? Unnecessary ?

Plan to use a synergy reef shadow overflow on side of tank facing wall. Will this be big enough for a 120? It's 16".

Finally, does it make sense to run a slow drip line into the tank from RO/salt to constantly refresh ?

This hobby is ridiculously cool. I can see how this site is really thick. Cheers folks.
IMG_2124.JPG

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much water may typically find its way to floor in a problem situation ? Please don't say 120 gallons.

OK. I won't say it! lol Actually that would be worst case scenario. These things almost always happen when you are out of town and nobody is around to notice that split seam or whatever it is causing water to be on the floor. That's how the whole shot ends up there.

OP
OP
Tro

Tro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick ?

Can anyone explain how an auto top off works or point me in the direction of planning a sump ??

OP
OP
Tro

Tro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. I won't say it! lol Actually that would be worst case scenario. These things almost always happen when you are out of town and nobody is around to notice that split seam or whatever it is causing water to be on the floor. That's how the whole shot ends up there.

Haha!! Maybe there's an app for that! :) Set up a camera to watch my fish when I'm away or at work ? That would be a cool screensaver !!!! Watch the seams. Got it.

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick ?

Can anyone explain how an auto top off works or point me in the direction of planning a sump ??

A sensor/float switch of some sort (varies by design) will trigger a small pump to pump RODI water stored in a reservoir back in to your sump. It replaces water lost due to evaporation. Important to replace that with RODI water, not saltwater water, as the salt does not evaporate. Great tool to help keep your salinity levels rock solid, plus you don't have to do it manually.

OP
OP
Tro

Tro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sensor/float switch of some sort (varies by design) will trigger a small pump to pump RODI water stored in a reservoir back in to your sump. It replaces water lost due to evaporation. Important to replace that with RODI water, not saltwater water, as the salt does not evaporate. Great tool to help keep your salinity levels rock solid, plus you don't have to do it manually.

Aha ! That's why your mixing post mentions two tanks, FW and SW. Thank you for reply. Due to your article I'm thinking of setting up RoDi in laundry ! Not basement. Yep. Another project in works !

IMG_2100.JPG

IMG_2102.PNG

OP
OP
Tro

Tro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2166.JPG
So far I have a drain hooked up to sewer and a line in for sw/fw from RO/DI system in basement.

I installed two additional lines in case I someday want to pump/sump water to and from basement ?? But! I didn't wire electric from tank area to basement? Is that important for heaters etc? There's are plenty of outlets in basement just no electric lines from tank to basement. Does that matter ??

OP
OP
Tro

Tro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So the sump must have a spot/dedicated pump for RODI water ? Or set up a small RODI apart from sump ? ---- I won't have a way of getting signal from float switch in sump to RODI in basement.

OP
OP
Tro

Tro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they make wireless float switches yet ?

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the sump must have a spot/dedicated pump for RODI water ? Or set up a small RODI apart from sump ? ---- I won't have a way of getting signal from float switch in sump to RODI in basement.

Most people use some type of reservoir for their ATO replacement water. Can be as simple as a 5 gallon bucket. Your ATO pump goes in to the reservoir and pumps in to your sump, typically the return section, or whereever you put the ATO sensor. I personally do not like the idea of pumping straight from the RO/DI in to the sump for replacement/evaporation. If for whatever reason your float switch fails, you run the potential of having your RO/DI continue to make water and overfill the sump causing the "F" word we all try to avoid!

Your reservoir can be either under the display or downstairs, assuming the ATO pump is strong enough to handle the distance/head pressure.

If you end up with your mixing station in the laundry room, do you plan on running plumbing down to the basement? Or do you just plan on using a hose to get water to the display? The point I'm trying to make is you'll need to get RO/DI water to the reservoir where ever that ends up, so just keep that in mind during your planning.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people use some type of reservoir for their ATO replacement water. Can be as simple as a 5 gallon bucket. Your ATO pump goes in to the reservoir and pumps in to your sump, typically the return section, or whereever you put the ATO sensor. I personally do not like the idea of pumping straight from the RO/DI in to the sump for replacement/evaporation. If for whatever reason your float switch fails, you run the potential of having your RO/DI continue to make water and overfill the sump causing the "F" word we all try to avoid!

Your reservoir can be either under the display or downstairs, assuming the ATO pump is strong enough to handle the distance/head pressure.

If you end up with your mixing station in the laundry room, do you plan on running plumbing down to the basement? Or do you just plan on using a hose to get water to the display? The point I'm trying to make is you'll need to get RO/DI water to the reservoir where ever that ends up, so just keep that in mind during your planning.
I put my sensor in the return section of my sump. I limit myself to a 10 gallon RODI tank as my make up supply. I can pump the entire supply into my sump without flooding and everything should survive the drop in salinity. Around 150g total volume in my system.
I wish I trusted a bigger RODI tank since I am evaporating up to 2 gallons a day.

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my sensor in the return section of my sump. I limit myself to a 10 gallon RODI tank as my make up supply. I can pump the entire supply into my sump without flooding and everything should survive the drop in salinity. Around 150g total volume in my system.
I wish I trusted a bigger RODI tank since I am evaporating up to 2 gallons a day.

I hear you @Brew12. I too go through about 2-3 gallons per day and currently have a 7 gallon reservoir. I did just build myself a new 25 gallon reservoir but it has yet to be installed. Can't wait to not have to fill the thing every third day or so!!!

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its at all possible, I would always opt for putting the sump in the basement. That way are your heaters and skimmers and everything else are down there and the tank upstairs is blissfully quiet and cool. Plus you can spread out instead of being cramped in the stand.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 36 19.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 139 74.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.8%
Back