• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg. You're too funny. While I'm freaking out that I'll never get this thing plumbed right ! ;)

But yes. Vinyl is the new deal . Esp if you're going for a seascape in the living room !

Hey. I'm no good with plumbing. Your fish is sick? Call me! Clownfish not getting along? I'm your girl. Plumbing issues? Gotta get the #reefsquad on that one ;) Meanwhile, your house is looking beautiful :D

OP
OP
Tro

Tro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3418.JPG
IMG_3442.JPG
IMG_3440.JPG
IMG_3439.JPG
Update here!

I know it's been awhile but you all said take your time. After redoing plumbing leaks, designing sump, building stands etc I have water in the tank and am about to get system flowing !!!!!!!!

Any insights on when and how to put pukani in ? Ammonia was 0 last week. But now there's a layer on top when I took one powerhead out to mix salt.

So before I put rock in:

1. Salinity/SG@ 1.026

2. Temp at 78

3. Ammonia 0

Add starter culture like dr tim ?

Use some live rock from LFS?

Thoughts appreciated.

Oh yes, what would a marine expert think about two emporer angelfish in a 120g ?

OP
OP
Tro

Tro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks. I have a leaky bulkhead in the sump. Any fixes ? Thx.

hartin461

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure the seal is on the water side and that it did not get over tightened. Most mistakes with bulkheads are improper assembly..Loosen it a bit and then hand tighten, then a slight nudge with a pair of channel lock pliers.
If that doesn`t work then start from square one and take apart to check rubber seal. Worst case scenario replace and if there is a problem with the glass hole, chips,ect, put a slight coat of aquarium safe silicon around seal.

OP
OP
Tro

Tro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3504.JPG

I've been adding salt, almost at 1.026.

Tank looks a bit cloudy. I don't have the heater in the sump yet as it's being used to cure rock.

I'm about ready to move rock over into display

Any experi need thoughts on cloUdy tank ?

Is it bc water is colder? Or perhaps I've ran salt only for too long ?? Saltwater was still for 1-2 days without movement as I was fixing plumbing

OP
OP
Tro

Tro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone familiar with white material on top of water during rock cure. Is this a prob?

IMG_3506.JPG

OP
OP
Tro

Tro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I also have a 120 peninsula. Your home is beautiful.

Thanks frag!

It's been a LOT of work.

The pinnacle is the 120g. And I don't want to F it up after all this. I've secured the plumbing. Tank flowing for a week. Ready to add rock. How do I know I'm truly ready for rock in the tank ?

hartin461

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what the stuff is in with the rock but I think I`d drain the water and flush the rock one more time along with giving the container a good flush too. Then put some fresh saltwater to it and see what develops. Is it slimy and just floating around?
I don`t think its anything too serious tho so you could just give them a quick dip in fsw and put them in the tank once it is up to temp.

Last edited:

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cured mine for like 4 months. In my opinion you either cycle like you are or in the tank. If it was me and I was at your stage in the game I would probably pressure wash it, or spray down with a garden hose and scrub it with a wire brush then put it in the tank. But that's just me lots of folks will disagree with that.

OP
OP
Tro

Tro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3519.JPG
IMG_3511.JPG
I've cleaned one rock for sump refugium and one for display so far.

Tank seems slightly cloudy. No visible bubbles.

However I have this bubble action goiNg on in the sump in the basement. The drain from upstairs is only 1/2" submerged. Should I go for more ?

Are these bubbles good. Bad. Or just ugly ?

Do theY help with oxygen levels or are they too big....

Salt is up to 1.026. Temp 79.

Will be scraping and final touches on aquascape soon.

Any and all opinions are read and appreciated.

Also. I initially had a short tube out of sump which vibrated like mad. So I put a 4 foot tube and moved the pump to closet. Much quieter. Thank you guys for input on leak. That is fixed now.

IMG_3520.JPG

hartin461

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubbling like that in the sump is going to create a bunch of salt creep. Is there a sock in there? How far down does the pipe extend into the water? Did you try to slow the flow a bit? Just things to look at and maybe adjust, food for thought...lol

OP
OP
Tro

Tro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3533.JPG

Added aquascape tonight and dr tims.

OP
OP
Tro

Tro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey. I'm no good with plumbing. Your fish is sick? Call me! Clownfish not getting along? I'm your girl. Plumbing issues? Gotta get the #reefsquad on that one ;) Meanwhile, your house is looking beautiful :D

Hi M!,

Your replies have been helpful and informative in past and I feel I'm at a critical juncture

So I have the rock in. Next sand. Live or not? What organisms can I add first ? When? What would you add? You seem to know your species. I'd like to have colorful zoas. And an angelfish. Add snails ? Clams? Shrimp ? My LFS isn't so local. And I'm. It sure they have the best 411.

Saw a post of your zoas elsewhere. They look goooaaaaarrrrrgeous. !

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So u are running a ghost overflow with only one drain to the sump? This can cause problems.

Other then that u can add live sand right now it's only going to help with the cycle
Once you have no detective ammonia you can slowly start adding livestock

KyleC.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should be three drains entering your sump. 1-Full siphon, 1-Durso, and 1-Emergency. If you tie the full siphon into any/all together, you will essentially negate the full siphon, because air, will be sucked into the full siphon drain, through the others. This creates bubbles that you see.

Edit: You could tie the emergency/durso together, as they both use air to break the vacuum, however I would not.

Just my 2 cents, not an aquarium expert, just a plumber.

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back