Building a 40 breeder

Mike976x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to start my 40 breeder build with a 20 long sump. Can't wait to start. Getting a baffle kit for the sump. Drilling and hard plumbing. Going to take my time and create an NSA rockscape. The build is as exciting as the fish/coral keeping.
My question, intrigued by the new ai blades, would 2 30" in grows with a 30" glow, as I want a full mixed reef, be enough par? 2nd, that with 3 riser kits would cost roughly 1k. Not a problem as I plan on building this once and doing it properly, but would there be better options at the 1k price point?

Icedphoenix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is AI recommended combo. 2 or 3 grows to 1 glow. I went with a pair of XR15s for my tank as these lights are so new there is not any long-term reviews yet like Orphic or reef breeders. For a grand you can pick up some low hours Gen 5 XRs or some low hours Hydra 32s and have more light then you need easily.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but would there be better options at the 1k price point?
Maybe. For a grand, you have lots of options.
Look at 2 Reefi Unos.
32" Reefbreeders Photon.
If you love AI, I would get 2 x Hydra 32s over the Blades. Just my opinion.
There's quite a bit of quality control issues going on with the Blades. Read these 2 threads: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/aqua-illumination-blade-par-readings.974456/

For a grand you can pick up some low hours Gen 5 XRs or some low hours Hydra 32s and have more light then you need easily.
Radions are on sale currently. 449.99 for XR15, so you could get two for 900+ tax.

Icedphoenix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe. For a grand, you have lots of options.
Look at 2 Reefi Unos.
32" Reefbreeders Photon.
If you love AI, I would get 2 x Hydra 32s over the Blades. Just my opinion.
There's quite a bit of quality control issues going on with the Blades. Read these 2 threads: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/aqua-illumination-blade-par-readings.974456/

Radions are on sale currently. 449.99 for XR15, so you could get two for 900+ tax.
Ya they stuck them on sale after I mentioned it but I was referring to the used market. I have both my tanks lighting set up for under a grand. Bought 2 used hydras for less then 200 each and both gen 5 XR15s that were new October of 2022 for 300 a piece. I debated blades but you can save money on lighting if you are patient and shop around for sure. Had a guy in my town selling a 48" V2 that was a year old for 400 2 months ago. I just wasn't ready to buy at the time.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished my own 40 breeder build. I went with a 20 high tank for a sump, it left me enough room for a 5 gallon top off tank.

My lights are a 150 watt MH pendant with 2 OR3 bars. It cost roughly CAD1200, about USD900. I love it.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 50 43.1%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 54 46.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back