Building a fish room in my (crawl space ) basement

me & my baby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building a fish room in my crawl space / basement . My wife was getting upset with water getting spilled on her carpet and I understand . Hey my wife had been so supportive of this hobby that I want to make her happy . So the room begins , it is a little more then 4ft wide by 10ft long . I poured a 4 “ thick concrete slab .
IMG_0076.JPG

Next the framing began and plywood began. I know some people will chime in about me using chip board , but the chip board has been covered by Dow Corning silicon wafer proofing . It’s was basically like rolling in 3 layers of silicon .
IMG_0702.JPG

Now tiling the floor , has some left over tile from a job that was done and it worked out good .
IMG_0738.JPG

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work so far. I wish my crawlspace was that tall. What's the height? Mine is less then 3 feet to the dirt (covered by moisture barrier but no concrete). Haven't been able to find a use for mine fish related or otherwise, I only go down twice a year to open and close the vents for winter / spring.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I repurposed a coat closet into a sump room. Crawlspace would be problematic... it's literally a crawl space, about 3 feet high, and it's not temperature controlled, either. The closet is working out well for me. Wish it was bigger, but still, not having to work on my knees is a huge advantage to me.

OP
OP
me & my baby

me & my baby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crawl space ranges from 6ft to 4ft it’s not climate controlled but with the walls insulated and the 15 mill plastic down it stays cool and dry in the summer and warm in the winter . The inside of my fish room down there is 55” tall . It’s enough for me to sit in a rolling chair and have head room

OP
OP
me & my baby

me & my baby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a little more done progress has been slow with work and my wife getting very sick . I was able to slide the 125 gallon sump in and the 40 long that will be a grow out tank

c02ecb600aad5a410d94d788a8005090.heic

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great use of space. How hard is it to access? Do you have to go outside to get to your crawlspace? Unfortunately, I do.

OP
OP
me & my baby

me & my baby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not bad and I do have to go outside to get in but I can walk right into threw the door under my back deck .

OP
OP
me & my baby

me & my baby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well got some of the plumbing done on the frag tank to the sump . Filling it up with water to test all of that out . Now I need to decide if I am going to stay with my 140 cube or go with my 125 . I just like the length of the 125 and never really been happy with the cube , it’s just hard measurements for lighting and flow.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very kewl use of the space..

Its STRAND BOARD By the way.. I think you are going to want and Need a Fresh air vent from the outside into this space. If it were me i would run one in and one out putting a fan on the input side will push fresh air thru the space. You could use a bathroom vent fan but a 4 inch inline duct fan would work . or run the input 4 inch vent inside close to the floor and a vent from the ceiling out and up. air pressure alone would cause circulation without a actual fan ...

OP
OP
me & my baby

me & my baby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my plan to run some pipe from top to the outside and another pipe at the bottom and also run a fresh air to the skimmer

Saveafish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a little more done progress has been slow with work and my wife getting very sick . I was able to slide the 125 gallon sump in and the 40 long that will be a grow out tank

c02ecb600aad5a410d94d788a8005090.heic
Small room like that you need to exhaust it or draw fresh air in with a dehumidifier. I have a basement sump and had to do it. That's super sweet. Rock on.

OP
OP
me & my baby

me & my baby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I am running a 3000sft dehumidifier under the house I also incapsulated the crawls space as well . It’s keep it a nice temp down there

GrouperBait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about doing this exactly. Have you had moisture problems? Is your crawl space vented or non vented? Are you running ac into your fish room upstairs essentially isolating a mini room in your crawl space?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back