Building a foam wall. AIO equipment?

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided I'm going to build a foam wall. Something similar to this thread

I think I have most of it worked out of how I want to do it. My tank is a 36 gallon bow front. I use a heater in the tank and hang on the back skimmer and filter. I have 0 plans to go to a sump. I was thinking that I would build the foam wall so that the heater was still in the tank, but now I'm tossing around the idea of hiding the heater behind the foam wall. If I did that and make it into a make shift AIO tank, what all equipment would I want to incorporate behind the wall?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've decided I'm going to build a foam wall. Something similar to this thread

I think I have most of it worked out of how I want to do it. My tank is a 36 gallon bow front. I use a heater in the tank and hang on the back skimmer and filter. I have 0 plans to go to a sump. I was thinking that I would build the foam wall so that the heater was still in the tank, but now I'm tossing around the idea of hiding the heater behind the foam wall. If I did that and make it into a make shift AIO tank, what all equipment would I want to incorporate behind the wall?
I would be careful with a heater behind a wall - with low flow - as It could cause the glass to crack. It's an interesting idea - I do not (personally) - like the look of the one in the original tank. However thats not to criticize it - just my opinion

OP
OP
Scooter21

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be careful with a heater behind a wall - with low flow - as It could cause the glass to crack. It's an interesting idea - I do not (personally) - like the look of the one in the original tank. However thats not to criticize it - just my opinion
Isn't that how all AIOs are?

I've been looking at AIO chambers and it looks like I'd want a filter sock, media tower, protein skimmer, heater and return pump. Is that accurate?

His Coral Highness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might not be a bad idea to meet in the middle and do a wall but put a few openings in it to open it up to a little flow. That would increase circulation, allow the heater to work more efficiently at letting the heat around the tank, and could help with detritus build up.

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Media tower is not needed, but helps. Other than that, I'd recommend what you listed. You could also set up a type of refugium back there if you want.

OP
OP
Scooter21

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might not be a bad idea to meet in the middle and do a wall but put a few openings in it to open it up to a little flow. That would increase circulation, allow the heater to work more efficiently at letting the heat around the tank, and could help with detritus build up.
I don't think I worded my original post very well. I'm talking about doing a complete AIO setup, not just the heater.
Filter sock
Media tower
Skimmer
Heater
Return pump

Would that not work?

His Coral Highness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I worded my original post very well. I'm talking about doing a complete AIO setup, not just the heater.
Filter sock
Media tower
Skimmer
Heater
Return pump

Would that not work?
Would probably work better than what I was imagining bc the water would (I'd assume) be moving through it pretty quickly, which would be good for overall circulation. I was imagining it as a more passive area behind the tank you wanted to stick some things. Yeah a full AIO with water rushing in and a return pump could work well (I think lol).

OP
OP
Scooter21

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Media tower is not needed, but helps. Other than that, I'd recommend what you listed. You could also set up a type of refugium back there if you want.
How big would the chamber need to be for a refugium?

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get one of the grow lights and base if off of that. You will need to trim it a lot though. It will grow fast and it is in a small compartment.

OP
OP
Scooter21

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get one of the grow lights and base if off of that. You will need to trim it a lot though. It will grow fast and it is in a small compartment.
I guess the real question. A refuge that small... Is it worth the hassle? Would it provide much benefit to the tankm

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small amount of chaeto in my 240, and I struggle keeping up my nutrients. It will be based on how strong of a light you have.

OP
OP
Scooter21

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small amount of chaeto in my 240, and I struggle keeping up my nutrients. It will be based on how strong of a light you have.
I was looking it up ever since you suggested it. I decided if it want to do a refugium, a hang on the back would be better for my application. Mainly. I've got room behind the tank and it wouldnt bother me hanging back there. Easier to clean, if need be. Less space taken up in the tank.

So, I think I've settled on a chamber for:

Filter sock
Media tower
Protein skimmer
Heater
Return pump.

Is it as simple as measuring each device and making sure each one can slide in to the space? Is it OK if they are tight or do I need to allow extra space?

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking it up ever since you suggested it. I decided if it want to do a refugium, a hang on the back would be better for my application. Mainly. I've got room behind the tank and it wouldnt bother me hanging back there. Easier to clean, if need be. Less space taken up in the tank.

So, I think I've settled on a chamber for:

Filter sock
Media tower
Protein skimmer
Heater
Return pump.

Is it as simple as measuring each device and making sure each one can slide in to the space? Is it OK if they are tight or do I need to allow extra space?
They should be fine being close together. Only thing to watch out for is to make sure the water level does not lower where the heater is. You can do a lot of damage that way.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back