Building a plywood stand

  • Thread starter Thread starter germs101
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

germs101

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 24, 2013
Messages
515
Reaction score
192
Location
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170502_161936.jpg
Here is an almost [emoji6] finished bathroom vanity I made out of plywood. I need to build a stand for a 40 gallon breeder and was wondering if I used the same design if it would be strong enough? I could make the back out of 3/4" ply to beef it up a bit, and I'd also have the top made of 3/4" ply.
 
I just noticed this posted in the wrong section. It should be in DIY. Sorry
 
Yes you are good, this what I did for my 72
IMG_20141228_161624.jpg

IMG_20141228_161612.jpg
 
That looks so good! Did you use 3/4" on the back?
1/2 ply on the back. I topped it with granite so that the weight would be distributed on the corners and if I got wet I would not have problems with the water creeping down into the cabinet. When I first setup the tank I had a HOB filter and used the middle for storage of the electronics. Last year I switch to a remote sump and move the electronics and use the center to store meds, food, test kits, etc. I use the left and right side for files, office supplies and what ever else. I have the cabinet on nylon casters to that I can move it when I need too when the tank is filled on the hard wood. I would suggest putting magic slide on the bottom.
IMG_1565.JPG
 
Oh, If I may suggest, pocket hole a front and back top support to may the front and back more rigid like I did with mine.
 
Super nice!
 
All 3/4" ply wood. Both sides are large doors for easy access to the sump. On the front and back I doubled up the plywood so it totals 1 1/2". There is a 3/4" top holding it all together via kreg jig and a 1 1/2" thick piece of cherry that is screwed to the other top through the bottom. This thing is beyond solid.

IMG_3955.JPG
 
All 3/4" ply wood. Both sides are large doors for easy access to the sump. On the front and back I doubled up the plywood so it totals 1 1/2". There is a 3/4" top holding it all together via kreg jig and a 1 1/2" thick piece of cherry that is screwed to the other top through the bottom. This thing is beyond solid.

IMG_3955.JPG
Stunning! How does the top open up?
 
This is great! Looks great, great location... well done. Anychance we can see the inside and bracing??

The only bracing is the double reinforced top, bottom, back and the sides of the front door of the sump.

IMG_4080.JPG


IMG_4081.JPG
 
Nice stands! Spikedangles,quick question. Sorry for hijack. How tall is the top and bottom sections and what are tank dimensions? Thx Dan
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new