Building stand front, need magnetic attachment device.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I just built this frame for my stand and want to attach it with strong magnets so I can take off the entire thing to work on the sump. Have any of you done this? I think they’re earth magnets. I have some questions for those of you who have done this. How strong and how many did you use? This is a 36”x39” spruce frame I’ll eventually put doors or a screen on in the middle. Do these magnets rust? Did you just use a router bit to make the holes for them? Anything else I should be aware of? I appreciate any help!!!
00484ECD-B58B-401A-B6DE-7562258D227B.jpeg

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want stronger magnets than you typically get at the hardware store. I used Neodymium magnets from Amazon with a hole in the center to attach them. .
Weigh your frame and depending if it is supported on the bottom or not you may need more or stronger magnets. Use a router or a Forster bit if you want them flush with the back of your frame. You want to coat them if you are concerned about them getting wet, as they will corrode.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want stronger magnets than you typically get at the hardware store. I used Neodymium magnets from Amazon with a hole in the center to attach them. .
Weigh your frame and depending if it is supported on the bottom or not you may need more or stronger magnets. Use a router or a Forster bit if you want them flush with the back of your frame. You want to coat them if you are concerned about them getting wet, as they will corrode.

What would you coat them with?

lagoon360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blum makes some fancy magnetic cabinet hardware but there are also plenty of other options available. Some require no handle as you can push them in and they pop out or a more simple mechanism.

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used magnets for the face of my stand. I think I bought 1.25” neodymium magnets. These are strong enough. I used 3 on the front of a 4 foot tank; both top corners and top middle. On the bottom I have a french cleat to slide the frame into.

I wasn’t prepared with a striker plate though. I thought a large screw head would be enough for the magnet. But this was too weak. I ended up using large steel washers as a strike plates. If I did this again I would have found a striker plate to match the magnet before the build. I used screws and epoxy to attach the magnets and washers.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used magnets for the face of my stand. I think I bought 1.25” neodymium magnets. These are strong enough. I used 3 on the front of a 4 foot tank; both top corners and top middle. On the bottom I have a french cleat to slide the frame into.

I wasn’t prepared with a striker plate though. I thought a large screw head would be enough for the magnet. But this was too weak. I ended up using large steel washers as a strike plates. If I did this again I would have found a striker plate to match the magnet before the build. I used screws and epoxy to attach the magnets and washers.
So you put the washer in front of the magnet? Is that what you mean by striker plate?

U

User1

View Badges

Just wanted to second these magnets. Use a Forstner bit as noted above. Easy to secure using the screw with these magnets and they hold 90 lbs or more. You can go a bit lower to seat the magnet lower if you want and then cover with a piece of felt if you want smooth type surface that rests on the steel frame.

I use these for my tanks cover and also under the tank with the magnets on a 2x4 with cable tray to hold cords. The magnets are really good.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to second these magnets. Use a Forstner bit as noted above. Easy to secure using the screw with these magnets and they hold 90 lbs or more. You can go a bit lower to seat the magnet lower if you want and then cover with a piece of felt if you want smooth type surface that rests on the steel frame.

I use these for my tanks cover and also under the tank with the magnets on a 2x4 with cable tray to hold cords. The magnets are really good.
If I drill them into my wood stand and the frame, I put one in each with the poles reversed as I understand it. Or is that a mistake. Also, since my frame isn’t metal, should I cover the magnet with something else?

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you trying to suspend the panel off the floor or just keep it upright? My last hood had the two front panels removable using cleats to support the weight and regular encased magnets (think boat cabinets) to keep them upright.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you trying to suspend the panel off the floor or just keep it upright? My last hood had the two front panels removable using cleats to support the weight and regular encased magnets (think boat cabinets) to keep them upright.
It will sit on the floor so I just need to keep it upright. Would a magnet in each corner make sense or is that overkill?

ReeferWolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with these magnets I got from amazon. Although my front is only 1/4" plywood, so it's pretty light, and it also sits on the floor.

Each one holds about 15 lbs and they are pretty strong. Definitely not going to fall out. I ended up using all 4 of the magnets that came with my package. I put 1 in each of the top corners and the other 2 about half way down the side. To attach them I used the included screws. In my case they went past the front of the plywood, but I just used a Dremel to cut off the extra and used filler to smooth it out before I painted it.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any two part epoxy will work. Glue it down then cover and try to make it smooth.
Would you say about 1/8' thick is enough? And I'm assuming you mean on both magnets, the one in the stand and the one on the front

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back