Bulbs way to strong for a 10g.........

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10g setup and am thinking it is way to strong. I have the current orbit 2x40watt setup. 8 watts per gal is way to much. Im changing to a 27watt actinc and a 32 watt 50/50 smartpaq bulb for a total of 59 watts, which equals=5.9 watts per gal. If you like the way im going to handle this say Yay or nay. It will be a more blue spetrum but never the less it will still have a daylight. opinions are welcome.

Thanks Steve

Brandon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually, the wpg (watts per gallon) "rule" is more of a guideline. The 2x40w orbit light is a GREAT light in my opinion. Alot of people believe "there is no such thing as too much light" (unless you do like a 250w MH pendent on a 10g....) but thats beside the point.

I think that the orbit light is a great light for a 10 gallon tank, especially for softies and most LPS.

hope to have helped,
Brandon

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fishes2889 said:
I have a 10g setup and am thinking it is way to strong. I have the current orbit 2x40watt setup. 8 watts per gal is way to much. Im changing to a 27watt actinc and a 32 watt 50/50 smartpaq bulb for a total of 59 watts, which equals=5.9 watts per gal. If you like the way im going to handle this say Yay or nay. It will be a more blue spetrum but never the less it will still have a daylight. opinions are welcome.

Thanks Steve

as long as you dont have any heat probs, i think 2x40 is great.

on my girlfriends 10g, we had 2x65w coralife PC fixture and it was great for that sized tank. when she upgraded to a 15g we ended up upgrading the light to 175w MH. :roll:

kpax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 12g Aquapod and want to put in a larger bulbs. Does anyone know my options on the square four pins socket (Power Compact)? Is 27 watts the largest I can go on a 12 inch bulb?

The way I see it I'm only getting 54 watts and it seems like it ccould be brighter IMO.

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kpax said:
I have a 12g Aquapod and want to put in a larger bulbs. Does anyone know my options on the square four pins socket (Power Compact)? Is 27 watts the largest I can go on a 12 inch bulb?

The way I see it I'm only getting 54 watts and it seems like it ccould be brighter IMO.

you may want to try the nano forum on RC. there are LOTS of threads over there about exactly what you are talking about. tons of people DIY those canopies for the nanocubes/aquapods. but i wouldnt dare take a shot at it since i dont know the exact demensions you can work with in the canopy.

OP
OP
fishes2889

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think im still going to downgrade. 1) algae grows faster then ever and 2) I want a more blue spectrum. This way i get 75% actinc and 25% daylight on the tank. I will try it since im getting the 32 watt 50/50 for 10$ bucks. And the 27watt i already had. Its just basically to see if i like it or not. Im getting the 32 watt on wedesnday, so we will see then....

Steve

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back