Bulk Reef Supply thread participation virtually zero since Randy left...?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just me, or has Bulk Reef Supply's thread participation plummeted since Randy left...?
Hey @salty150 ,
Adam here! Sorry for the less than stellar participation recently. I've been away for an extended period of time, but I'm back now and ready to talk reefing :)

lynn.reef.nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Not sure if the dislike is because he is pushing items or his charisma on camera?
Considering he works for a business, it should be expected his job is to promote the business (to sell products).
Seems unfair to dislike someone who is doing their job and well at that since the OP pointed out the reduction in interaction.
Not arguing that you should have your own opinion, just a discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey @salty150 ,
Adam here! Sorry for the less than stellar participation recently. I've been away for an extended period of time, but I'm back now and ready to talk reefing :)
Hey, Adam thanks for picking up the slack. It is important that we hear from you guys once in awhile. I think people forget that BRS is a business. BRS exists to sell stuff to a specific market, which happens to be those who keep reef aquariums. IMO, Randy was nothing but a good sport. Honestly, the fact that he was asked to participate in so much content creation... not every business person would put up with it. I'm sure it was a lot of work, on top of his already many responsibilities. BRS is a business first and foremost, content and communication aside, I am grateful for the pharm grade bulk offerings that started it. I've been using BRS two part for 20+ years and as long as it stays available and affordable, I will continue to.

OP
OP
salty150

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was not a fan of Randy. I could tell he was pushing for sales and was not particularly entertaining. I could tell he was hired to move merchandise.
Umm... they all are...

You think Ryan spends all this time and money making these videos out of the goodness of his heart and nothing else...?

BRS is where it is today (financially and in stature) mainly, not exclusively, because of these videos.

Randy may not have been the most charismatic person to some people - but I tell you what, he was a hard worker.

Doing all of those BRS Investigates videos and in-depth segments...

And always making sure our questions in here, and elsewhere, were answered - almost always the same day or the next.

His absence is greatly missed - on here (and elsewhere), and I am sure at BRS as well.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, Adam thanks for picking up the slack. It is important that we hear from you guys once in awhile. I think people forget that BRS is a business. BRS exists to sell stuff to a specific market, which happens to be those who keep reef aquariums. IMO, Randy was nothing but a good sport. Honestly, the fact that he was asked to participate in so much content creation... not every business person would put up with it. I'm sure it was a lot of work, on top of his already many responsibilities. BRS is a business first and foremost, content and communication aside, I am grateful for the pharm grade bulk offerings that started it. I've been using BRS two part for 20+ years and as long as it stays available and affordable, I will continue to.
Thanks for the kind words and support! I have nothing but good things to say about Randy; he is one of he hardest working folks I know. We all wear many hats around here and wouldn't have it any other way :)

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Until you have run your own set of "BRSInvestigates" style of tests, you have absolutely no clue how much work they are and how easy it is to screw up one little thing and start an experiment over.

The ICP testing I did on new batches of salt was a pain in the butt and gave me an entirely new appreciation for Randy and Ryan. Are they perfect? Nope, but at least they are doing something about it and trying.

QuitterJr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea where any of the negative attitudes are from. BRS is a cornerstone to the hobby and provides amazing advice. I think their videos actually often harm their sales. Randy and Ryan were the best, but I have no doubt that they are looking to come up with good chemistry going forward.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Removed a few posts and posts that quoted those posts. Not everyone who had something removed did something wrong. Anyway, this is R2R and not Facebook. We’re not going to use our forum as a place to degrade, flame or be rude to someone personally.

Thank you.

Last edited:

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind words and support! I have nothing but good things to say about Randy; he is one of he hardest working folks I know. We all wear many hats around here and wouldn't have it any other way :)
I think if you want a hit show that highlights the company, you're going to need a team that sounds good together. The last team worked because the personalities worked together. Ryan is good, but I am not feeling the cohosts so far. You need to find a personality, and they need to be fun, joking, and professional. They need to click with Ryan. Look to Matthew. Comment on YOuTube "
Dappled Light

Dappled Light

2 months ago

Ryan and Matthew together at last! I'm not sure it gets better!"

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Btw Randy and Ryan are some of the best people on the planet and truly, truly care about this industry. I know quite a bit behind the scenes and have spent time on a personal level. They are the real deal.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if the dislike is because he is pushing items or his charisma on camera?
Considering he works for a business, it should be expected his job is to promote the business (to sell products).
Seems unfair to dislike someone who is doing their job and well at that since the OP pointed out the reduction in interaction.
Not arguing that you should have your own opinion, just a discussion.
NO you misunderstand me. I meant that he pushes items that are either unnecessary, unnecessarily expensive, or suppresses data on cheaper items. For example - they did a video on the best salt. Before that video they had other videos on their experiments. Instant ocean performed as good as any of the salts in half the categories. In the best salt video it wasn’t mentioned once. And on the flip side, Red Sea performed last in every single experiment. They intentionally left that out because the sell so much of it and likely are partnering with Red Sea. That is easy to see.

They are suppose to be non biased informative videos. And I feel that they did that 5 years ago, but times have changed.

And I love Ryan, the guy is super knowledgeable and entertaining. I still watch all their videos because of him, but there is a change from how it use to be 100%.

lynn.reef.nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
NO you misunderstand me. I meant that he pushes items that are either unnecessary, unnecessarily expensive, or suppresses data on cheaper items. For example - they did a video on the best salt. Before that video they had other videos on their experiments. Instant ocean performed as good as any of the salts in half the categories. In the best salt video it wasn’t mentioned once. And on the flip side, Red Sea performed last in every single experiment. They intentionally left that out because the sell so much of it and likely are partnering with Red Sea. That is easy to see.

They are suppose to be non biased informative videos. And I feel that they did that 5 years ago, but times have changed.

And I love Ryan, the guy is super knowledgeable and entertaining. I still watch all their videos because of him, but there is a change from how it use to be 100%.
Yea. At times it does become very hard to discern the ad part and the information part.
I haven't fully watched any of their videos since the 360 (???) besides the Fish QT which I thought was very good.
But that's also why we follow a lot more folks out there to get the full picture.

OP
OP
salty150

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That doesn't jive with my recollection...

I might have to re-watch those...

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulk Reef Supply has definitely helped me learn about the hobby, and learn what some of the equipment even does in the first place so I couldn't thank them enough for the hard work they do.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't jive with my recollection...

I might have to re-watch those...
For starters instant ocean only changed .3 dkh total on the alkalinity time test. And with the inherent error stated in the video for the alk test used, no other salt mix can be considered more accurate than this. Yet no mention in the best salt video for this test. And like every test they did, red sea was miserably in last. Funny they never pointed that out. They did point out in the video how much red sea salt they sell, I’m sure them making so much money on red sea salt has nothing to do with them not calling out how terrible it tested. They also gave a winner for voted best salt by the consumer, basically which salt mix was purchased the most at brs. And of course instant ocean was not mentioned. However they conveniently left out that instant ocean sells more salt than any other brand by a ratio that is probably close to 100 to 1. Maybe an exaggeration? Maybe, but still maybe not.

And this is just 2 examples in this one video, there are many more tests in this video where instant ocean should have been mentioned.

The fact is this, instant ocean can be bought at petco online or in store for 1/3 the cost of any other salt brand. And it performed very well in all their testing. Is the most time proven salt by volume and how long it has been used in hobby tanks and major aquariums. And brs knows all this, it is a shame they are trying to make all these expensive salts seem so much better. Instant ocean wasn‘t even on their list for winners of best bargin salt!

Attachments

• 6E307FFC-FE65-4806-83B2-EF0F654D08CA.png
    6E307FFC-FE65-4806-83B2-EF0F654D08CA.png
    159 KB · Views: 49
  • CE4D60A0-6E7F-4446-A441-D8742847BC07.png
    CE4D60A0-6E7F-4446-A441-D8742847BC07.png
    150.3 KB · Views: 58

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said, their videos are very informative, Ryan is the man(hello youtube!), and I am happy they post so many investigate informative videos. But when it comes to which products to buy or persuading videos on why you need certain equipment. They are biased plain and simple. And they didn’t use to be. The amount of money being pumped into brs compared to 10 years ago has changed their videos. And being a consumer that spends legitimately over a thousand dollars a year on their website, I have every right to call them out on this.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also spent big money on things they claim, where the truth was clearly stretched. They talk about ph and how important it is to coral growth. Which I do believe is probably true. They then used that to push skimmers and co2 scrubbing reactors and media. 500$ later I have a big skimmer and 2 co2 scrubbers. Their ph in the video was so high they used a solenoid valve to keep the ph fro going over 8.3. Well I don’t think anybody on earth with low ph can get that kind of results with a skimmer and co2 scrubber. I made mine a closed recirculating system and have very little co2 breathing mammals to volume of air in my house, and I still have to use kalk to get my ph to stay at 8.3 for a few hours a day.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 40 52.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • None.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.2%
Back